Sharing is caring

The things I choose to put out there is my knowledge and art, I publish mostly videos with the goal of creating reflection and widening perspectives, I also share links and other info about projects that I find awesome, and consult and connect people when they ask me for advice regarding various projects. Learn, do, share is a webplatform me and a few other people are now building, it is for sharing knowledge, inspiration, skills and solutions for building a fair future together. Another thing I lend out is wearable art that I have designed and made by hand, that mostly dancers and music artist have used for performances and videos. If someone visits Gothenburg, Sweden, I can also collaborate on various things and share my office and a place to sleep. Also I share my academic writings on my web page.

The other way around, I lack programming skills, the time to learn them and the money to pay for someone else to do the job. If someone is interested in collaborating on building the Learn, do, share platform or making a 8-bit style game let me know.

Very generous

Hello Jasmine, I think it’s very generous of you to share not only your art, but even office space and a place to sleep. I am sure you will find some 8-bit game coder that will take you on the offer (there are a couple even on Egderyders!)

Congratulations, the video is quite spectacular!

Hi!

Thank you for the comment

Spectacular

I second Alberto about the video … must be a ton of editing time in that!

Regarding the Learn, Do, Share platform, may I ask for some more info? Like: What will be the unique aspect about that portal, when compared with the existing approaches like, say, Appropedia and P2P Foundation (just the first two that came to my mind). “sharing knowledge, inspiration, skills and solutions” sounds quite encompassing … is that going to be a web commune? Have you anything online already?

See, I’m also interested into web-enabled solutions for a fair future … have seen some of what is out there at the moment, and all of the approaches are different and inspiring, so I just asked about yours - for inspiration, and maybe I also have some pointers for you.

learn do share

this platform will be connected to a live event that will be held around the world, as well as a couple of projects on education and future architecture, information will be posted to connect the event cities/people and the themes and solutions discussed there. it will be an educational resource for people to play and interact with, a social platform that connects people. we are currently finishing a digital book that will be published at the platform which is not yet built, I will post a link and more info as soon as it is published. this project is still very new so all details are not clear to me yet, would love to hear your pointers and maybe see you as a collaborator in the future

Is this art?

Jasmine - now I’ve thought a bit about that platform idea and I fear I don’t have much to say … . That’s because it appears to be a strongly art-related project, including enjoyable live performance / event, and playful interactions. I’m completely unexperienced in all this, being myself rather hardcore tech-centered. Yet I acknowledge and respect the power of art to produce a strong bond to people, more than tech can (even if it works …).

Two pointers, however.

First, the resources on the platform seem to derive their value to a good part from social interactions (live event, social platform). This can work, but definitely needs a critical mass of people. (Two of my own attempts of setting up an online community failed because they missed just that critical mass. Edgeryders has the critical mass, but maybe only while it’s still “new and cool”.)  The other approach is the “aggregative”, knowledge-centric way of building an online community (includes the two projects I mentioned in the first post); this can work with less people at the start. Either way, online community growing takes time …

Second, here’s an interesting piece of software for collaborative, simultaneous content production, like at a live event that is connected through a website: Etherpad Lite, a free software “really realtime” editor. I once took part in an editing session of Pirate Party Germany where they used this, and it was a fascinating experience to see a pages-long policy discussion document grow in a quarter of an hour, written by 20+ people at the same time.

Thank you for the comments and advice.

Actually it is not an art project, the events are highly influenced by new tech and how it can be a tool in storytelling, healthcare etc, for example Makerbot and Buckminister Fuller Institute were collaborators during the last event. The platform will have casestudies and this digital book that shares the results from every event. The first edition will be published very soon. The last event had more than 600 visitors and it is growing every time so there is already a mass of people following it.

Do you live in Germany? I will be at FMX if you want to talk more.

Have a nice weekend!

TNX

Thanks for explaining it more :slight_smile: Yet for some reason, I still have no good idea how it all works out on the social level, what motivates people to be part of it etc… I’m quite fascinated by the project because I still don’t get it … . So maybe just put a link on here when the book is ready, that will probably make it clear.

Have a good time at the conference! (I’m in Germany, but not in that area.)

Hello Jasmine,

first of all

Hello Jasmine,

first of all I would like to congratulate your motivation and passion. You seem a person full of energy trying different things and getting involved in several projects! Then, wooowww !! what a nice video I really enjoyed watching it, if it’s ok by you I would like to share it around social media … :slight_smile:

Referring to your web platform I find it a nice idea but unfortunately I couldn’t really understand how this is going to work…

Two things that came to my mind when reading and watching, are to suggest you to get in touch with Susanne a jewel designer who makes a living on the edge trying to figure out the best way to sell her crafts. And Augusto with his CriticalCity Upload , an urban game to engage people in the city. I think you will find both of them very interesting…

I would like to hear more from you :slight_smile:

sharing is caring

Hi Luna, thanks for connecting. Of course you can share the video. Regarding the web platform, for the first stage it will be focusing on Learning and case studies will be presented. The do section is connected to live events around the globe where we will work with workshops and prototyping ideas for a sustainable future, connected to storytelling. Between the events, results will be shared on the platform and via a book sprint that volounteers work with after every event. The idea is very new and we are figuring out details now and looking for programmers to create a good structure. You are welcome to contact me with further questions, I will know more soon and have a digital book ready as a reference for the project.

Thank you for the suggestions, will check them out.

Wow, this is great stuff.

What an amazing set of projects you have going! We haven’t done a great job of involving the arts in EdgeRyders, I hope that’s something we’ll have a chance to remedy as time goes on.

I noted you mentioned Buckminster Fuller a couple of times - http://hexayurt.com is my main project, which is an update of Bucky’s dome geometry for simple construction with modern materials. There are a lot of them out there, more built every year. You may find it quite interesting.

great stuff

Thanks, your project is amazing and it will keep growing, very inspiring to see, would like to stay connected for future events, sent an invite on Linkedin.

Hey Jasmine!

Watched your

Hey Jasmine!

Watched your video, now surfing your websites… impressive! Keeping yourself creative and busy. I really appreciated that there is also a lot of diversity in your activities.

I also lack programming skills, thus cannot share this… but would love to know what might be other possibilities of participating in your project(s).

Best wishes and see you soon!

Hi Arina!

Thank you for reaching out, I am pretty much open for any collaboration.

Where are you located? Will need to collaborate with ambassadors, musicians and actors for a road movie and culture project about identity and youth situation in the current Europe, we are visiting the cities Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Oslo, Warzaw, Gothenburg

Also a knowledgesharing platform I am working on will be released in a week or two, there people can share case studies, read about designing the future etc

I also work with dancers sometimes

What would you like to do?

Will you be at the conference?

Hi Jasmine!

Yes, I’ll be at

Hi Jasmine!

Yes, I’ll be at the conference. It’s indeed great that this website/platform puts us in contact before meeting in person. Thus those few days can be spent more efficiently.

At the moment I’m in Zurich, but in 2 months I’ll return to my home country, Moldova. In the same time looking for new places to move :slight_smile:

I am generally interested in the management and economics of music (industry), public relations, event organisation. I worked in the management of a band from Moldova. Let us know when the knowledge sharing platform is up. Maybe there I’ll be able to get involved.

learn do share

The site is not officially launched yet, however you can download a book about DIY Days/Wicked solutions for a wicked problem and the Learn do share project here

http://learndoshare.net/#/book/

it is an inspirational creative commons resource worth to take a look at if you are interested in designing the future, the site will grow over time a everyone can be a part of it.

It’s clear now :slight_smile:

Just worked my way through the Learn Do Share site, the book and the DIY Days and WS WP events behind that. Now it makes all sense together for me :slight_smile: So the Learn Do Share platform seems to be the extended arm of teh DIY Days and WS WP events, documenting what’s happening there and also allowing for permanent remote collaboration on projects initiated there and similar ones. And yes, that’s a worthwile ingredient to this movement, helping to make the events sustainable and publicly visible just like this platform does it for Edgeryders.

Let me now try to add something about the context of all the current buzz around social innovation, sostainable tech, society hacking etc… It’s inspired by what I’ve seen at the LOTE conference, and clearly nothing to question the basic idea behind the Learn Do Share platform. Hope I can get it over in constructive ways :slight_smile:

Well I was not aware just how much is going on in grassroots initiated social change at the moment. I’m glad to see there’s a common goal, of which the best verbalization is maybe Buckminster Fullers “making teh world work out for 100% of the people” (just found the quote on the DIY Days site …). Yet the reason I wasn’t aware of roughly two thirds of what peopel try in that direction is, we’re a fragemented movement. There are the tech people working on tech solutions (like Open Source Ecology). There are the society design people working on policies and narratives. And there are the self-improvement people starting their approach with acquiring the right mindset for sustainable co-living on this planet. Compare Gelada’s great piece on the different personality archetypes mingled at LOTE.

Now I don’t question (any more …) that all these approaches are relevant and necessary. But we’ve got to join forces to be one movement instead of many disparate blocks. Edgeryders seems to have been one of the few places where social innovators and hard-core tech people and all the others meet, and become aware of each other … . The reason we don’t meet else is that it’s hard for us to communicate, as we have a different framework of mind and different logic … . It seems to be one of the few advantages of commercial enterprises that they can get these vastly different people to work together (by sheer financial pressure of course, not a good thing).

So what I’m looking for is a platform that can make people of all these different sub-movements and cultural groups collaborate on common projects. To get the impetus for the social change we all agree on anyway … . The Learn Do Share seems a good candidate for this, as it already crosses some borders. Found this quote in the Learn Do Share book about it, so maybe I’m really breaking open doors here:

"[…] help us determine what helped and what kept

them from overcoming their own boundaries.

All these efforts stem from our belief that

collaboration and sharing of culture are an

essential part of a ‘new commons’ thinking

for a future that works for 100% of humanity."

And, you’re already collaborating with several other initiatives (DIY Days, WS WP – better than re-inventing the wheel and fragmenting public attention …). Yet maybe you could try joining forces with one of the upcoming open hardware / open design project platforms, to also welcome the hardcore tech people for collaboration. (For example, see the kickstarter’ed Open Design Engine project … it’s all early stage for now however.)

And maybe, once there are people from all the social change sub-movements on the Learn Do Share platform, there could be an explicit way to foster collaboration across these cultural groups / sub-movements on the web platform? Like, it would be awesome to have for example electrical engineers, social scientists, narrative experts and web developers agree on fusing their existing overlapping projects into one high-impact one. Like for example the different approaches to healthcare and to re-development of abandoned houses.

Or put another way round, I favor the hackers’ “Show me the code.” approach: talking on a meta level is good if there’s something to talk about, that is, if there’s some practical work that has been done already. In that sense, the WS WP approach is really great. While totally “disconnected”, non-implemented stories without action are essentially a waste of resources (and sad as that is, the first two days of LOTE conference might fall into that category, depending on what Council of Europe finally makes out of the results …). So, let me encourage you folks to proceed with the WS WP approach in your platform, of combining both the thoughts, the social action and the hackers’ long years spent on tech. Change needs it all …

Cheers!