Sharing Resources on (pan) European Populism

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing these resources @Jan!
Re kindle to pdf conversion:

Came across this title: Bergmann: Conspiracy & Populism: The Politics of Misinformation 1st ed. 2018
Haven’t had a chance to look into it, but could be interesting…esp to you @Djan :slight_smile:
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 23.18.26

2 Likes

2 Likes

Reuters Insitute (OX) in its new Digital News Reprot finds that Poles trust the national state TVP the list. Full report here, screenshot on Poland below, but I think the entire report will be a good source to explain our online sampling logic.

Maybe of interest, new book " The Political Economy of Eastern Europe 30 years into the ‘Transition’"

1 Like

Great Zdenek, I just got a pdf copy today in an email by O. Slacalek. Looking forward to read it. :slight_smile:

@jitka.kralova, could you share that pdf? :DD

Political Economy of Eastern Europe 30 years.pdf (4.3 MB)

I am also attaching a pdf of Partha Chatterjee’s book ‘I am the People’ that I recently got a hold of and that proposes a very interesting set of arguments about our understanding of European populism and the populist ‘crisis of democracy’.
I Am the People.pdf (1.7 MB)

1 Like

Dear all,

my analysis of the development of the organisation structure of the Czech LGBT+ movement between 1989 and 2021 has been (after 4 years of work on the text) published.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/10.1080/21599165.2021.2015686

I am very excited (and relieved).

Zdenek

Sloboda_2021_Development-reorganisation-Czech-LGBT-movement-1989-2021_EastEuropeanPolitics.pdf (1.8 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing, Jitka!

Congratulations! I read the article with much interest and relieved to see that while there have been periods of ‘decay’ in the evolution of local movements, the directions seems to be good, thanks to the absence of radical nationalistic or homophobic political discourse. Curious to know your opinion as an expert: how far do you think Czechia is from legalising same sex marriage?

Perhaps it’s worth to think about inviting someone from the organised movements you mention to the final conference? That is, if this topic will be of interest for comparative reasons as well - I see that some recent Polish interviews like this one touch on it too… not to mention the community conversations from 2019.

1 Like

The Great Reset
Public Opinion, Populism, and
the Pandemic

Here is chapter on populism in Czechia from Ondřej Císař and Václav Štětka.

anti-gender-LGBT_CEE_May13

1 Like

Hi. An article on nativist language of non-radical right wing parties. Unfortunately, not a fulltext. Zd.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/360950536_How_non-radical_right_parties_strategically_use_nativist_language_Evidence_from_an_automated_content_analysis_of_Austrian_German_and_Swiss_election_manifestos

Dear @rebelethno, new article FYI - Pytlas, B. 2022. “Beyond Populism” in Party Politics.

Abstract:
Studies of ‘thin’ anti-establishment supply assess mainly the extent of populist messages. This paper analyses the diversity of thin contestation beyond just populism. We deploy a content analysis of 142 social media campaigns by anti-establishment (AEPs) and conventional parties during 23 elections across Europe 2010–2019. We find that in addition to popular will and extra-political technocratic expertise, AEPs increasingly enacted exceptional political calling, crafts and virtues depicted as necessary to revive ‘true’ formal-representative politics itself. Regression analysis shows that political vocation cues played an important auxiliary role in AEP mobilization strategies. On average, those AEPs across the political spectrum which used more political vocation messages performed better electorally ceteris paribus than those which used them less. Conventional parties instead did not universally benefit if they increasingly spotlighted thin messages. The salience of anti-establishment and populism-related rhetoric played a further role within particular AEP groups, but neither was significantly associated with stronger AEP performance altogether. In order to better understand recent political turbulence, it is therefore useful to account for more diverse thin contestation supply.

PytlasB-2022-BeyondPopulism.pdf (1.4 MB)

Roundtable of ECPR on the rise of illiberalism - Th, Oct. 4, 16:00 - 17:30 BST

There is also an essay series on the topic at the ECPR’s Loop online platform:
https://theloop.ecpr.eu/?s=🌊