Showing faces - Geoethics & Groundwater Magagement Conference - an option?

Dear All - this is a suggestion about how EarthOS may show its face(s). I am preparing a contribution for a conference in May 2020 in Porto (PT)– the ‘Geoethics & Groundwater Management Congress’. I think that this event could be interesting for EarthOS (submission of abstracts by 15th November, full-paper publication with Springer). In that context I would be happy if we could join forces. See below my current outline [*] that I am willing to open; what would be one option. best regards, Martin

[*]

Geoethics for Operating in the Human Niche

Geosciences co-shape the human niche; hence geoethical thinking is pertinent for any geoscientist. Within the human niche, geo-endowments, like water, are a shared resource. As societal context, the human niche is a planetary network of natural and cultural landscapes. They are knotted by global supply chains and restlessly alter through engineering, production and consumption. Entangled by them, human agents face counter-intuitive system-behaviour, irreversible path-dependency and multi-facet values and interests. Geoethical thinking explores cultural substrates that would nurture the skills of agents and their operational circumstances when facing suchlike system-features.

Initially, geoscientists conceived geoethics for their professional functions in various societal and scientific contexts. Subsequently, geoethics evolved into an epistemic, moral hybrid for citizens interacting with the Earth system. Furthering geoethics – combining it with Kohlberg’s hierarchy of moral adequacy and Jonas’s imperative of responsibility – results in a ‘geoethical rational’, namely, to act: ‘actor-centric, virtue-ethics focused, responsibility focused, knowledge-based, all-actor-inclusive, and universal-rights based’ .

The geoethical rationale, formulated at a normative meta-level, is designed to apply in any societal or scientific context that is relevant for geosciences, modulated in a case-specific manner. The geoethical rationale supports agents (geoscientists, citizens) to navigate the human niche, framing how to handle its diversity.

Somehow related to this subject - EarthOS edgeryders may be interested to join, Martin

Dear Martin Bohle,

The European Geosciences Union (EGU) has the pleasure of inviting you to the Shaping EU Missions: bridging the gap between geoscience and policy event which will take place at Townhall Europe (Square de Meeûs 5, Brussels) on 17 October 2019 from 14:00 until 17:30 and will be followed by a networking reception.

The event will include both a high-level panel and roundtable discussions , allowing participants to share their expertise, network with other participants and discuss specific issues relating to Horizon Europe’s Missions. These roundtable discussions will then be summarised into a brief and forwarded to the relevant institutions and boards. As a current member of the EGU’s database of expertise and someone with both a relevant scientific and policy background, your presence at this event would be particularly welcomed.

We would be grateful if you could confirm your participation by registering for the event at your earliest convenience as space is limited. You will find more information about the event here.

This event is by invitation only but if you are unable to attend or believe it would be particularly relevant for someone in your network, please feel free to forward it on. Please do not hesitate to get in touch via policy@egu.eu if you have any questions regarding the event.

Yours sincerely,

Chloe Hill

On behalf of EGU President Alberto Montanari