SITTING SERIES FOR WELL-BEING: hack your own neurological system and turn it to better use

Sitting exercises to achieve:

~greater ease of movement and more supportive posture while at your computer

~fatigue-busting vitality, feeling more connected, grounded, integrated

unHabit how you sit at your technological shrine

explore self-acceptance and the resilience of an anchored identity

make inner turmoil or tension reversible

be kind to yourself and more sustainably available to others

Daily 20-minute sessions using regular upright chairs with firm seats. Mindfulness coaching using Awareness Through Movement (The Feldenkrais Method). The practitioner (David Ridge/Vidrij Da) can email the lesson to each attendee after a session to ensure they remember the sequence.

1 Like

Me ignorant

So another session where we deal with our physical state to perform better :-) Had to go onto wikipedia: “In Awareness Through Movement lessons, students engage in precisely structured movement explorations. […]ATM lessons are taught through verbal instructions given to one or more students. Each lesson aims to offer comfortable, easy movements that gradually evolve into movements of greater range and complexity. Awareness Through Movement lessons attempt to make students aware of their habitual neuromuscular patterns and rigidities and to expand options for choosing new and more functional ways of moving.”

I understanding what you suggest involves taking control of our posture when sitting and working? What does is mean “sit at your technological shrine”?

It reminds me of taking up simple medical gymnastics to control my spine problems as i was an adolescent. Quite painful althogh you didn’t really have to do much. Even lying straight on the floor with my back straightened and in the right position felt difficult. So i guess my question is what kind of difficulty level are we talking about?

Finding our way back into our bodies

So happy we are moving away from this wierd brain body separation. David what are your personal experiences with Feldenkrais, how does it work?

What is the experience of Feldenkrais?

Hi Nadia and Noemi,

I am a practitioner, the video below helps explain. Sorry you had such an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience with medical gymnastics, Noemi, Feldenkrais works differently in that it offers gentle but intriguing movements to encourage mindfulness, the minimising of effort and being kind to yourself. The method offers learning through movement to enhance the self-organising neurological system to help everyday functioning in movement and is helpful if you sit at your computer or device (shrine) for hours every day. Once you get more plugged into you improved connectedness during the kessons, you begin to experience a more vital and integrated version of your whole self anchored in your bodily senses as well as your pattern-making brain, which are all one system often falsely seperated in our misguided self-perception. I am a retired nurse who trained for 4 years in Feldenkrais as well as 3 years in Hakomi present-centred psychotherapy. Hope that is helpful. I woukd love to offer such support and self-care coaching to edgeryders in some way and am very open to suggestions.

What is the Feldenkrais Method®? - YouTube

► 9:51► 9:51

21 Apr 2007 - 10 min - Uploaded by ryannagy

In this Feldenkrais video students of the method describe how it has enriched and changed …

1 Like

Super excited

I’m super excited about this workshop - I love the Feldenkrais technique. In my experience it is like doing a phyisical meditation that has a subtle, indirect, transformative power.

Looking forward

I’ve never experienced Feldenkrais (I’ve been quite content on my island of Yoga) so looking forward to this.