We spoke to DG REGIO, C-KIC and Fondazione di Comunità Messina (ping @giacomo.pinaffo) . We agreed the following:
- The main funded activity for the Lab in 2020 is going to be a sort of incubator of alt-economies. Ideal participants are people that want to be ecosystem engineers in their local economies; they aspire to rewiring the whole local economy in a long-termist, human-friendly, low-carbon way. They could be working for a public authority, or community foundations, for example.
- The incubator’s goal is to build capacity and shared vision in about 20 ecosystem engineers for local economies. The alumni then go forth and, together or separately, use capacity and vision to interpret mainstream funding streams for regional policies (example: the European Regional Development Fund, or the Just Transition Fund) to realize the vision. The incubator’s path to impact is in the policy, not si much in making new policy streams but in using well the existing ones.
- Most of the incubator’s work is done online. We use the format of well-prepared webinars. Each webinar features an existing or fictional local alt-economy (ecovillages, community foundations, post-capitalist business hubs like Calafou etc.). Each consists of a 10 minutes pre-recorded video interview (also used to promote the webinar) + a deep Q&A with the protagonists of the experience being featured. Videos to be produced by @estragon with my content supervision (and, in practice, a lot of low-level editing work from me too).
- This work culminates in a fundraising event to be held in Messina in the fall (subject to the lifting of travel restrictions). FDCM has generously agreed to fund a small number of writers’ residencies for econ-SF, which we should announce as soon as possible. I want to explore with @nadia and @hugi the possibility of making the residency more participatory by adding a BBU-type experiment, if we can find someone to pay for it. Let’s have a call, guys?
- May 25th: application to the DG REGIO citizen engagement call submitted. Edgeyrders runs alone here.
- May 25th: application to the COSME call submitted (pending verification on eligibility).
- May 29th: first video ready, featuring the Messina experience.
- June 11th: first webinar live.
- June- August: further webinars production (about four).
- July-October: further webinars live.
- October (pending travel restrictions): fundraising event in Messina.
Also please take note @andreja.