Team biweekly 6/4 Agenda

This is the proposed agenda for tomorrow. Quite general, so please add more specific points to talk about if you have:

• POPREBEL updates: “reset meetings” on the final WP2 deliverable + the impact conference

• TREASURE updates: “reset meeting” on the onboarding events as a pipeline of ethno data.

• New proposals: JEDI, PANPOP

• Reporting the time spent in biweekly meetings :slight_smile: (from Alberto)

• Martin

@alberto @ivan @matthias @hugi @martin @nadia @Nica

Not sure if this is for the Wednesday meeting or for the next Friday ethnographers meeting but I wanted to make note of the discussions I had with @Jan and @alberto about the timeline for POPREBEL going forward, and potentially capping the interviews obtained to-date at February 24th, so they are “time-stamped” organically by the beginning of the war with Ukraine, since it is such a crucial event with reverberations for the region under study that it seems to me it would be better to sequester “clean” data before people’s ideas and emotions about nationalism-adjacent topics are influenced by it. (For instance, just speculating, there might be an uptick in positive pro-nationalist sentiment from people who normally would be critical of it because of sympathy towards Ukraine’s sovereignty being violated in brutal ways – of course that is important to know, but it seems more methodologically rigorous to examine that data separately from pre-war data).

At the same time, if we were to proceed with an additional layer of ethnographic research, it could be focused on understanding sentiments specifically in the context of the war, and could be done through interviews done in the Rapid Ethnographic Assessment framework, designed to collect ethnographic information quickly in the context of an emerging or unfolding crisis. All countries in the study are accepting massive influxes of refugees, so it certainly meets the qualifications. I have some ideas for the format that interviews could take in that context (semi-structured interviews incorporating a “grand tour interview” opening and perhaps also incorporating a word completion component) – happy to talk more about that if we decide we move forward with this.

2 Likes

This is relatively simple given that everything on edgeryders.eu is timestamped :slight_smile:

1 Like

I meant more metaphorically but that definitely helps :slight_smile:

Oh, it does help :slight_smile:

Basically what I am thinking of is something like this:

1. Hit “pause” on data collection for what will go into the POPREBEL main final report body on Feb 24
  2. Shift into the writing phase with that data.
  3. In parallel conduct a smaller-scale add-on REA-informed study (25 interviews per country under study if possible? 20? What is feasible?) designed to specifically explore the core topics in the context of the war and refugee crisis.
  4. Anticipate including that data as an add-on final chapter in the report with a conceptual justification of both the organic stopping point on 24/2 and the addendum because essentially good ethnography has to respond to evolving circumstances, and this additional data would be meaningful for the big questions asked by the study.

That is what I also had in mind. I would like to prepare it by sending the group information about a “reset meeting” coming up. Let’s take it in the biweekly.

What’s REA?

1 Like

Rapid Ethnographic Assessment

1 Like

Hi guys, last week I sent you all a doodle to define the Treasure basics in the onboarding event.
In case it ended in spam, here it is.
Please fill it up, the sooner we go through this the better

I have scheduled a call for Treasure ehtnography after the today’s POPREBEL - so 4:15 PM CET.
In particular, @Nica we need you there.

Join the Zoom meeting

ID: 833 5129 6828
Code: 380945