Team Conflict Prevention and Management - next meeting

Hello!
As I see the day going on, I will not be able to attend the online meeting tonight. See you very soon though! <3

No professional account to offer here.

@ChrisM , maybe I’m approaching this the wrong way, but I went ahead and had a bit of a think about conflict prevention & management as prep for our first team meeting tonight. I understood our priority is to rewrite section 6 of the Governance document, but personally I feel it will be hard to really know what to do with direct conflict resolution if we don’t take a little step back first to look at the bigger picture / theme we will be working on.

Think: Just a little talk about what conflict is, and which key questions we should ask ourselves in order to make decisions about conflict prevention and management as a whole. I think using my notes might be a good way to do this, to kick off our meeting with, maybe inserting them in between current agenda item 1 and 2? For you to decide as our coordinator, I’m assuming.

I wrote these notes as a way to structure my own thought process, so what’s in there is a reflection of what I’m interpreting our assignment as a team to be. My interpretation might be off. In that case: correct me during our meeting tonight :wink:

2 Likes

Great stuff Nic! Unfortunately I’m only just finishing work now, so I won’t have so much time to read your notes, but let’s absolutely do what you’ve suggested, and go through them together between items 1 and 2 :slight_smile:

Here’s the link for the meeting:

1 Like

Hi @Nic & @lenaftng !

Just to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about posting an overview of the meeting here (to joint edit), together with suggested tasks etc. for us to play with. The end of my week was a bit full on, but I will find some time over the weekend to do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Laurianne , @Matthieu , you’ll be able to read the minutes for our meeting from last Wednesday later, as you can read above.

Make sure to already put the next meeting in your calendar though: Wednesday february 1, 19h30, online

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long (hectic week!), but I have finally uploaded the minutes from our last meeting: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/52872
@Nic and @lenaftng - feel free to edit it if I have misremembered anything, or not noted it correctly…

I have also started a collaborative working document: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/52882
At this stage it is just bullet points of all the things that we talked about in the last meeting. We can use this thread to discuss any individual points ahead of the next meeting, and perhaps discuss the document in it’s entirety when we meet…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for doing the minutes! They look great. I’m holding off on making any suggestions/edits in the documents atm, as I’m having a technical issue accessing them directly on nextcloud. I thought that issue was fixed, but I’m getting the error message “ONLYOFFICE cannot be reached. Please contact admin” and can only download the files. I’ll wait a sec to see what team IT says about this so we don’t end up with a bunch of different versions of the same file.

1 Like

Hi! I read carefully the minutes and the documents so I am updated. You did a great job! Super interesting, more accurate and giving a lot more visibility on what to achieve. Big thank you!
Nevertheless, I checked and can’t attend tomorrow’s meeting, I am sorry. I will then update again and catch up for the next one!

1 Like

Hey team @reef-community , sorry to cancel but I’m struggling heathwise and won’t be able to join our meeting tomorrow. Work has me in migraine territory :skull:

I’m scheduling time on the weekend to read up on the minutes. (If we were to postpone our meeting, I would be available this Sunday, Feb 5)

Sorry to hear that you’ve been unwell @Nic !

I don’t think it makes sense to have the meeting this evening, as so few people are available in the end. It would be good to meet soon though, as there are quite a few things I would like to move forward with… I will suggest some new times in this thread, but there’s one urgent matter to deal with first:

We talked at the last meeting about transforming Team Conflict Management into Team Community, with more of a focus on community wellbeing as a means of preventing conflict, as well as having tools to address conflict when it arises. This team would also focus on creating safe spaces for developing a connection within the community that goes beyond the practical, for those who need more oportunities to express hopes, fears, etc., as well as contributing to the vision of how we intend to live together (if we get that far:).

Last week I had a meeting with Team Governance, and it was agreed that a helping circle could be created between the two teams to make this happen, as the team orgnanigram (structure) is currently up for review. And on Monday I had a meeting with Team Coordination, and it was agreed that we could bring our proposal to the plenary meeting next week. As we won’t meet this evening, one option would be to postpone, but I feel quite strongly that we should make this change sooner rather than later, both in terms of our work within the team and for the benefit of the community as a whole.

So this is what I propose: Sarah (Team Governance) and myself (Team Conflict Management) will write a proposal this weekend, outlining why Team Community should exist. A lot of this proposal would cover what we talked about in our first meeting, which is available in the minutes and the working document. We would intentionally keep it quite broad, with a more detailed mandate to be worked out later. We could post the proposal on a new thread by the end of the weekend, so that you could all have a look at it and make suggestions or comments on Monday and Tuesday. If all goes well, and everyone is happy, we bring it to the plenary on the Wednesday, along with the other suggested changes to the teams organigram from Team Governance.

So, can we all work with this proposal? In an ideal scenario, we would have the opportunity to have more of a discussion about this, but under the circumstances, I think we should demonstrate our team’s agility and general enthusiasm :slight_smile: I’m going to leave this question open until Saturday morning, to give everyone time to respond, and if there are no objections, we will get into proposal-writing mode Saturday afternoon…

4 Likes

Thank you for this suggestion, @ChrisM . That sounds great to me. I’ll book in time in my calendar to go over the proposal and give feedback. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I’ve (finally) added the notes I prepared before our first meeting to nextcloud: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/55511. Those are the ones we saw as a good starting point for chapter 6 of the governance document.

I’ve also organised my thoughts as prep for our meeting later today in our working document: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/52882. This will mostly be something to read after our meeting and get commenting on in the doc itself (as it’s short notice and quite long). I think it can be a good starting point for ranking our priorities and start thinking about which actions we could take/propose to the group.

1 Like

I think this is once again a very well thought out, high-level input, clearly structured document that you provided there @Nic . I think it makes up a really good ground for our meeting later. Thank you for that!

And thank you @Chris for the organization and the great minutes and summaries of our conversations, as well as for keeping on pushing team community forward.

See you both soon

2 Likes

@reef-conflict, the minutes of our meeting earlier today (13/02/2023) are now online: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/52872

@ChrisM and @lenaftng, can you please check whether they are clear and complete? If I missed or misrepresented anything, do correct! I highlighted 2 things I wasn’t too sure about.

3 Likes

Thanks @Nic !

Great note-taking and minute-writing :slight_smile:

The first highlighted part in yellow I’ve removed, because I believe it is correct the way you have expressed this bit. There is a section in the Working Methods document about ‘meeting etiquette’, which I think relates to the things we’ve been talking about.

The second highlighted part, which is the third bullet point in ‘Additional notes’ I’m not sure about. I think we talked about starting a thread for the three of us to work together on strategies moving forward, but as Lena is currently unavailable, we decided to do that the two of us. I think we can do that with comments in the document, and perhaps start a private message for discussions about it. My understanding is that we are aiming to get a thread going once we’ve developed the framework for approaching current indications of conflict, so as to give the community a clear idea of what they can do and how we can help. I haven’t changed anything here, in case you were talking about something else…

This is really good stuff, and will certainly play a part in the rewriting of Chapter 6. I think order of events should be full focus on our helping circle, leading to an Edgeryders thread to the community, then bring all the elements together (Team Community proposal, helping circle, Laurianne’s results and our working document) to sort out the details of Chapter 6.

This is definitely our starting point to the helping circle. There’s so much to respond to in the document, and I haven’t got time to do it justice right now. I’m going to move over to a private message for the beginning of a helping circle discussion…

2 Likes

Thanks for uploading the notes Nic and for adding to them Chris. I just read them and they seem clear and understandable to me and I don’t feel like anything is missing.

I just finished rounding out the document I created, so this could be moved to Nextcloud whenever now. I hope it’s clear, otherwise if there are any questions about it, I’ll be happy to answer them.

Good meeting today, talk to you both soon!

2 Likes

We’re on the same page here. I also thought starting a thread would come after our helping circle, but wasn’t too clear from my notes afterwards whether this was also where you landed. All clear now.

I feel like we have set out a clear way forward now. Thanks, Chris, for summing it up this way. I’ll add it to the minutes for clarity.

1 Like

Hi all,

I updated myself with all the documents… Super clear and coherent. I thought about things that got thought through !

Since I was absent during the 2 last meetings and I can’t attend the next one (working and then having a class right after), I propose to take care of one task among the ones you listed and keep you informed through ER.

I am a bit disappointed I can’t get involved more. Doing my best. Open to discussion. See you soon !

2 Likes

Hi @Laurianne !

Great that you’re keeping up to date and connected, and also that you’re happy to take on one of the tasks :slight_smile:

You may already be certain what that task is, but just to be clear (because I have a pathological desire to do so), the task involves working your way through Lena’s preparatory document on external mediation (https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/55825) to find out which ones are going to be options for us and which aren’t.

Feel free to get in touch if you need to …

1 Like