TechBlick 10 - Dejan [EN]

Do you own a car?

I do actually.

Which kind of car is it?

I have a several cars. I have one station wagon for long distance trip. I’ve got a city car. Then I got convertible. That’s my fun car. And I have an old timer (vintage car, auth.). It’s something I like because I like to put my hands on. So actually, I have four cars. Yeah.

And all petrol cars or electric or hybrid?

Exclusively petrol cars, actually, two of them are diesel and two are petrol cars.

What personal or professional experience have you had with electronics in cars you have used?

Professional experience. We are building sensors which control production of controllers, cables and such and privately I use the car with electronics every day. Sometimes I’m really happy because of that and sometimes, well, I’m not quite happy. It’s a complicated product.

Do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored by car electronics?

I didn’t have until I recently visited one OEM, and I was scared understanding about how they in a pleasant way called telemetry. So the car is spying on me in every possible regard, and I don’t like that at all. And I have no chance to do anything against that. Yeah. So short answer. Yes, I’m aware of that. And I cannot do anything except driving my old timer. Yeah.

And what is with electronics in general? Any concerns? Cell phones, laptops and so on.

Again technology can be is neutral to my to my understanding. It’s the way how you use that. You know you can use mobile phone to call a help someone in need, and you can use a mobile phone to spy on people to be malicious. So technology per se is neutral. It’s just the who is on the other side. Yeah. Using that.

And how does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Oh yeah. Absolutely. Totally. It’s totally different. Reusing his name said you can use for purpose a perhaps you modify product. I meant you use purpose B or you use for a from inside other countries. I used to sell old cars and I had a tracking device, and I finally found out that my car ended up in Africa being sold in Eastern Europe there for two years, and after that it’s been shipped to Africa. So it’s definitely reused in several occasions. And recycling is, just as a word, terms explained, reusing resources materials whatsoever inside. Yeah.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned. And five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

I would say kind of four probably so. But again, Europe is drop drop in a bucket when I see the big guys like China, South East Asia in general or USA, how they are doing and what they are doing. So yeah, I’m concerned because of them. Europe is giving a good shot. Probably not the best way, but the real pain is South East Asia and the States.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

High impact on my kids impact of on on on their friends in a company. We have, for instance, installed photovoltaic panels to recharge the battery cars. Although I’m not driving any, there are enough people driving them around, so that would be my personal footprint and impact. Yeah.

Uh, last question. How much responsibility does each individual have, in your opinion, to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment?

It’s very simple question. The answer is unfortunately a very, very complex. And I’m afraid this will, you know, kill the frame of this answer. So I cannot put it in simple sentence. Something is decided by politics, something by industry, something by whatever society. So within the frame being set by these three, I’m trying to give my best. So objectively I can do more for sure. At the same time is, you know, we have to work from bottom up and top down. So top down is this large frame and bottom up is what we as individuals can do. So I’m focused on my part of a deal. So for my frog perspective I’m trying to do what I can within the given frame.