The ecology of Witness, and ecology as an inspiration for economic systems

Hello friends, I can make Monday, April 5th work. I have a meeting from 9-9:30am PST, but can meet wiht you all before or after. Thanks!

@alberto @KileyArroyo I am guessing this is not happening today, would anyone like to suggest another date? Maybe in a week?

@KileyArroyo @carolina_carvalho I am available, though a bit under the weather. Shall we make a pass anyway? The link is Launch Meeting - Zoom

Hello friends, I’m sorry we were unable to connect earlier this week (it’s been rather full). I will be out for spring break next week, but back the week of April 19th. Why don’t we reschedule a time to meet after that. Most mornings, particularly on Tuesday and Thursday work well for me. Thank you and looking forward!
Kiley

Dear All - I like to give you some feedback from the Witness event on Thursday 22nd April.

It was a good learning and helped me to understand better; I have question about the ‘process’. Hence, I now understand better how building Witness may function.

Well, I am still concerned with the “reality plausibility” of Witness. The term “reality plausibility” sounds peculiar if we speak about SF, but as we are not talking about ‘phantasy’, it is essential. The now intended application cases in UNEP context make “reality plausibility” even more critical. I guess this view is shared. The difficulty is to locate ‘where’ is a border[zone] to phantasy, or whether Witness is reasonable rich in features to be perceived of plausible reality. Also, “reality plausibility” is much in the eye of the observer.

Questioning ‘ plausibility ’ (by friendly / unfriendly visitors) will happen by stressing that ‘something’ has been missed in the features of Witness. I use the word ‘feature’ to indicate something different than a technical/procedural aspect. A critic may disagree how a feature is described, but absence of a feature may be ‘deadly’.

To illustrate, when I read the documents that describe Witness, I noticed, for example, that neither drinking water, wastewater, nor children or care of the elderly seems mentioned. The drink/wastewater (technological) issue you may handled; e.g. by specifying that the energy is available to produce drinking water from seawater and clean the wastewater. Having missed societal features in support of children or older people may be more challenging to handle. In the first order, discounting good, service, incomes, wealth… may give the resources for these services. However, to have such features ‘plausible’ needs much more to it.

More generally, I wonder how to search the texts describing Witness’s districts and history to identify ‘so far missed features’, which may impact a perceived plausibility? I did some text search (ctrl F – kind). Cumbersome! It showed, for example, that searching for ‘school’ does not lead to education issues but a philosophical school of thoughts. But, can a district function without education of people (of any age).

It comes without saying, any list of ‘missing features’ will be infinite. Hence, it is impractical to compile it. What is possible, however, is to get a tool (maybe; advanced [sematic] text search) to check the existing sources whether ‘feature XYZ’ is addressed or not. Then, to initiate world building, a second tool seems required to ‘tax’ the resources of a given district to compensate for a given missing feature. An initial discussion could target the size of the tax (e.g. ‘having missed children and older people issues cost you 30% of all resources because….’). Then features may get added into the district & taxation is reduced). Such an approach is very crude, but may work out as a zero-order approach.

I hope that the above is felt to be constructive. I know that it is easier to ‘pick holes’ than to fill them. However, as a leisure activity (= reading a SF) holes in the texture of the story may be acceptable, but as Witness as tool for scenario-building rises the requirements. I recall a SF of the ‘we live in a matric-type’ where the protagonists found ‘black & white parts’; that was ‘where the matrix was not fully programmed’…

best regards, Martin

p.s. I was off some hours because I had to finish: Montecrypto by Tom Hillenbrand | Goodreads

1 Like

p.s. I learned today about the Cornwall Consensus - by the G7 Panel on Economic Resilience that releases policy recommendations on health, climate, trade and digital governance. It may be, @alberto @nadia , some input material for Witness. At least panel members like Mariana Mazzucato trigger some expectations & the summary reads promising (studying the recommendations need time).
G7-Economic-Resilience-Panel-The-Cornwall-Consensus.pdf (93.1 KB)
G7-Economic-Resilience-Panel-Key-Policy-Recommendations.pdf (129.3 KB)

2 Likes

Hi all, just a note, I finally came around to cleaning up my accumulated notes of a draft for a distrikt and part 1 is online. Libro Werde :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update was added just now: Libro Werde - #4 by iouxo

2 Likes