The legitimate illegality. culture as a commons. a journey through the italian spaces occupied by knowledge workers # 2

About a month ago I started a journey that led me from Venice to Palermo and Catania via Rome and Naples. In these cities, in the last year, groups of knowledge workers (visual and performing art workers, researchers, technicians, cultural managers, people who work with cinema, publishing, translation, radio, journalism), but also students and citizens have occupied some theatres and spaces destined to culture.

I lived and visited these places, I interviewed the occupants, I participated to the assemblies.

I anticipated something about this experience in a comment to the mission Taking the Theatres, but now I want to give a deeper vision of these facts. I collected a lot of materials and so I’ll divide this mission in two parts: in the previous mission there is a general description of what is happening and why, in this post there is a deeper analysis about the social and cultural value of these facts and more information about the modality of governance and management of these spaces.

In Italy the media are talking about these occupations rarely and without giving a true idea of the situation. Instead I think that what is happening is very important!

Culture as commons, precariousness, welfare, cultural policies and wasting of resources are the themes at the base of the occupations of spaces, spaces that can be considered as symbols of contradictions.

Relations with Institutions

it is requested to the institutions to share part of their power so that culture as commons can function as devices for the diffusion of participation and of decisional power. This could be also a service to the Institutions so busy that is impossible consider every problem of the citizens and of the city.

it is requested to the institutions to reduce waste (like investments to build new spaces and great events) and promote artistic talents.

The public administration are alternating between indifference (Catania), attempts at dialogue and attempts to encapsulation (Naple, Rome, Venice). But in this year of occupations in all the cities there were no violent fights with the police.

What are they doing inside the occupied spaces?

Public assemblies alternate with roundtables of inquiry on the conditions of knowledge workers, on culture as a commons, on formulation of proposals for the management of these spaces and on the formulation of the job counter-reform as opposed to the one currently being discussed. here some concrete results about the job counter-reform (it is only in italian, i’m sorry!)

Meanwhile, every day these spaces are clean, open and alive with a varied, continuous, hybrid programmation, accessible to all with the help of all the artists and workers, including some of great fame: workshops, performances of all kinds, Sundays for children, after-school care for children (in Sicilian spaces), the barter markets (Naples), seminars on copyleft and creative commons, a desk to legal support and business planning support (Coppola Theatre), history lessons (Nuovo Cinema Palazzo), readings, projections, trump tournaments in the summer for the elderly (Nuovo Cinema Palazzo).

At the Teatro Valle are now numerous the residences and the weekly artistic directions with exchanges also between the spaces occupied (the Coppola Theatre will be the artistic director of Teatro Valle for a week).

Dancers, actors, lawyers, architects and all other knowledge workers are working together in workshops, on stage, experimenting and even putting the lime in the walls as is especially in the Coppola Theatre.

All this combined with a social commitment that goes outside the space occupied: from demonstrations, to the campaign #savecyclists to the one against the privatization of water.

and then there is what the Coppola Theatre call ‘social co-operation’ as the “liberation” of a playfield for football and rugby made ​​by the occupants of the Coppola Theatre and the association Iqbal Masih Librino working for years in one of the worst neighborhoods of Catania with inhabitants and especially children, by providing social services and basing the social inclusion of children especially on sport. it had been asked to the administration to clean up and leave that playground to the association, they also collected signatures on a petition, but to the Public  Administration indifference they responded with another “liberation” illegal but legitimate.

All the income from subscriptions or bar as the only sources of funding of these spaces, for activity and works on the structure.

Valle Theatre is formulating a statute participated for the first foundation established for the management of a commons

Participation, citizenship and neighborhood

the participation especially of the inhabitants of the neighborhood is related to the different conditions of the places and also of their neighborhoods: the Nuovo Cinema Palazzo, Marinoni Theatre and Coppola Theatre are located in working class neighborhoods and so the participation of the inhabitants is so strong, also for the reconstruction of the places in worst conditions. Instead a process of gentrification is going on in near Valle Theatre in Rome and in Naples near Ex Asilo Filangieri (now called  Knowledge and  Creativity Asylum), both in perfect structural conditions.

In Catania a lot of people didn’t know the existence of the Coppola Theatre, but in Catania there is an amazing participation in reconstruction: materials, work from people of the neighborhood. Also from professional plumbers and masons. But at Coppola Theatre now the inhabitants brought also collections of records and a man brought also a gramophone.

I think that bringing personal objects is a symbol of recognition that the theatre is a place of culture, but a place of all the inhabitants.

But everywhere it is evident the awakening of the district. The first person I met in Nuovo Cinema Palazzo is Adele, a woman of more or less 80 years old who was the conductress of the Cinema and is one of the occupant; often on Sunday in the Valle Theatre arrived pies baked by neighbors who also participate to the occupation doing cleaning or host committees or also every week-end there are guided tours of the theatre and a lot of Roman citizens entered in the theatre for the first time in their life during the occupation; the Sunday for children in Knowledge and Creativity Asylum (Naples) or in Nuovo Cinema Palazzo with clown are always crowded (children in occupied spaces!!!)

Social and cultural value of “illegal” spaces

I asked the occupants as you might quantify the social and cultural value that they are producing. They haven’t even found a way that would make quantitatively the value produced, but everyone agrees that finding a way to quantify it can be useful to legitimize their illegal actions and it will probably make it even easier to request the negotiation of a new labor law and a new welfare system.

The social and cultural value is produced because these spaces have become places of artistic and sociological research and experimentation, places where we take care of his own cities and citizens, places where you implement new social policies based on co - operation and identification of real urgencies.

In these spaces the artists and workers of different disciplines are experimenting new collaborations, as well as in the New Palace Cinema there is a permanent laboratory of juggling and clowning, a discipline that has no place in academia.

how to quantify the value produced by experimentation? With what has been cut off funding for culture?

How do you quantify the actions of social cooperation? What is the value of a clean playground for children of Catania? how to quantify the effects of the new sociality that is created?

There are people of all ages that somehow make their own space and live together.

How do you quantify the restoration and the maintenance of the spaces?

The Coppola Theatre is quantifying how much you would spend hiring construction companies to do what the occupants did and comparing with the costs actually incurred.

How do you quantify the value of the knowledge produced about the formulation of new legislative and management tools? How to quantify the legal counseling and the business planning support? with the fees that would ask the consultant?

What is illegitimate in the face of indiscriminate cuts, neglect, indifference?

Final cuts and a new vocabulary

at the end of this journey I have a little new activist vocabulary in which “occupy” means “taking care” and “commons” are places for construction of other economies and pure forms of cooperation and sociality, other forms of government, new forms of social enterprises.

I think it’s obvious how to deal with the degradation in the cities, the restrictive ordinances give poor results compared to open a space for culture, of everybody, completely multifunctional.

But we must understand how to keep alive and active in the long term these activities and these spaces to avoid the risk of self-exploitation

I don’t know if the new type of foundation that the Valle Theater is founding, with the popular shareholding to support the foundation, can be a solution.

Each group has a strong identity related to his own territory so I guess it’s hard to find a single solution for all the same, but you should still focus on the strength of the network that is increasingly widening, thanks to the incorporation of workers with different skills and thanks to the liberation of spaces in different cities almost as if there was a viral infection.

(Ah, the infection will explode tomorrow in Milan. It is a scoop for Edgeryders!)

I know there are other theaters in Europe, in Greece and the Balkans in particular, who are carrying out similar experiences. I’d like to know more about them. So I invite other Edgeryders involved or informed on these events to share their experiences

thank you for reading. I know it was long and complex :slight_smile:

quantifying social value

Hi Alessia,

Thanks for your mission. Many of the things you describe happen in the Netherlands as well. People are looking for new ways to get funding for things that are intuitively of much value but cannot be measured in terms of economic value. In our personal lifes we can perfectly cope with these situations. For example,  when we have the desire to become a parent, people don’t (at least the people I know of) make a business case of how many it will costs, financially and in time,  to have a child and how that exactly relates to all the good things. We value those things, intuitively, but are not measuring it in quantitve terms.

You mentioned in your mission:

“I asked the occupants as you might quantify the social and cultural value that they are producing. They haven’t even found a way that would make quantitatively the value produced, but everyone agrees that finding a way to quantify it can be useful to legitimize their illegal actions and it will probably make it even easier to request the negotiation of a new labor law and a new welfare system.”

Until recently I was very much convinced about the need for quantifying social value, nowadays I am hesitating. Why is it that we put calculus at the heart of almost everything if we are talking about policymaking? I can’t give an answer to that question at this moment.

the right recognition

Hi Carlien!

yes, we are talking about policymaking, but it seems that the social value doesn’t have the right recognition also from policymakers and so I think that it is important find a way for the right recognition. Probably the quantification of the social value is a way, but only one of many others.

what do you think about? what is your experience in the City Council of Amsterdam?

pitfalls in quantifying social value

Dear Alessia,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. Here in Amsterdam we struggle with the idea of social value. I think that probably the best way to solve it, is to get more people involved in day to day decision making. For example by establishing online methods for citizen participation and giving them a clear view in community budget by methods like Open Spending. Getting a permanent insight in what constituents find important and where they think the community budget should be spend on at the moment of decision making itself  is very important in this respect. What we general do in western societies is having elections every 4 or 6 years and making programs for those periods of time. And then the power of constituents is handed over to Assemblees, Councils to fill in the details, adjust plans when things get changed and so on. Nowadays, with the possibilities of online networks, we can do better than that. I think that one of the pitfalls of quantifiying social value is that we will establish a different kind of measurement but will not redesign the decision making proces iself. I.e. measuring the social value of something at one certain point in time but having no tools to adjust to changes in the way society revalues thing.

the key point

Dear Carlien, thank you so much for your answer.

I think that one of the pitfalls of quantifiying social value is that we will establish a different kind of measurement but will not redesign the decision making proces iself”

I totally agree with you. This is the key point!

I think that we need more participation on two different levels:

more citizen participation in decision making processes and more participation of policy makers in the evaluation of events such as occupations or other events that come from the bottom.

And this takes time and dialogue.

In this case I mean that before deciding to evict a space the Administration should give time to the project to evolve, if a project has been clearly presented. The Administration should observe how the district and the whole city react and it should dialogue with the occupants because they are the most direct interlocutors, they are the problem that is looking for a solution.

On the other hand, citizens (workers in the cultural sector in this case), should participate in process of decision making about the allocation of funds and about the destination of public spaces. (And internet is a perfect tool) Because if the citizens have this kind of reactions it means that the Administration have made some ​​mistakes in the allocation of funding and destination of spaces

So I think you need time to evaluate and dialogue. Also to understand what kind of support given when the project is worthwhile, because in this period of crisis the support may not only be financial, but could be a support also sharing of tools, means of production and skills, like support to write business plan, consulence to get to European funds or to dialogue with the highest levels of the institutions. The support can also be mapping of unused buildings and understand with citizens what they could become .

evaluating in this horizontally, transversal, accurate, participated way discourages who want to occupy without good reasons or good projects , but it is a credit and expands the perspectives of who have done something illegal, but that is absolutely legitimate for the social value produced.

what do you think about?

Occupy is taking care

Thank you for this account of your research Alessia. I like very much your equation of Occupy with Taking Care. You’ve arrived at this definition because you’ve seen it with your own eyes. In the UK, there are fewer stories of occupation of theatres (though that may be because I don’t know about them) but there are more accounts of community takeover of libraries and small museums. Our own library in New Cross, London, is now run by the people, with some support from the local council. It is still a library but it is now more a centre for open culture and learning. It holds workshops at least once a week, where people learn about skills for transition, make art for celebrations, learn creative writing, share their old pre-digital films and much more. The original group who campaigned to save the library squatted it at first, which helped keep it open.

There are many more accounts of communities who wanted to run the libraries or museums or arts centres that have been closed down but they couldn’t raise the energy or they couldn’t get permission. It’s very rare to find groups that are willing to take over a cultural space by squatting, and when they do so, they are usually evicted. I don’t know if the UK differs from other European countries in this.

probably it isn’t the Uk different, but Italy right now

Hi Bridget! nice to meet you and thanks for reading.

“Occupy” like “taking care” is an equation that was spreading since the first occupations, but it is true that I’ve lived it and I’ve understood that it isn’t only a good slogan, but the better description of what is happening and so I wrote it.

And moreover what I was discovering and living during my trip it was so brilliant and new and alive that my travel to investigate has been transformed in a total engagement inside the network, above all in Catania (my hometown).

Yes, it’s amazing and unusual all this energy and all this engage. And I think that it isn’t England different from other countries in this matter, but it is Italy right now that is quite incredible for what is happening: it seems like a real “infection”. And the periodic meetings of representatives of all the spaces spark this energy.

It’s an hard work, but it is the only solution to change something. I think it is a real “living on the edge”. all of us are renouncing to part of our lives, we’re working for free, often we’re sleeping on the floor of the theatre, someone is been denounced, but there is a great conviction that we are on the right way to create the future like we want it.

and I believe that the places run by people can lead other people inside the places and living these spaces, contributing to manage them are ways to live and learn real form of sociality and respect.

probably the spreading of the stories and of experiences could give energy and motivation to take what we want. (I don’t want instigate to the occupations, but sometimes they are the only way to have a voice)

what do you think? what happens inside the libraries you mentioned? How many and what kind of people are spending their time there? and how was before the more or less illegal open?

I think that these are the questions that the policy makers might wonder before eviction. probably could be sufficient that they spend a bit of time inside the “illegality”, inside the places that they judged in advance