The unMonastery: On shared ownership in open collaboration

Billy: welcome to the Admin group

@billy_smith, we will be pleased to welcome you to the Edgeryders LBG Administration group, where you will be treated to the joys of updating Terms of References, drafting reports and generally hustling for Edgeryders. cheeky

I will get in touch with you on private email for more detailed instructions.

access to Admin board

Hi @alberto, I wonder if I can also have access to the admin board. It may make it easier for me to understand the background of some of the topics that I contribute on the platform.

Many thanks!

Katalin

Same thing as Billy

Hello @katalin, the same applies to you as to Billy: ask around if people are comfortable with you in the group.

Please guys, don’t do this one at a time. This is all unpaid overhead for me – on top of trying to make my own living and creating paid opportunities to do meaningful work for me, which is not easy at all.

Admitted

Katalin, if you are still interested we will admit you. I will write to you the instructions in a separate message but they boil down to understanding and accepting the terms of use of a non-public group.

Stop this bickering, now!

On one hand I don’t know who these alleged excluded unMonasterian souls can be but since the process of forming the ‘unMon’ entity is neither final nor complete then the adult thing to do is to tell them to come forward and ask/demand to be included and, by so doing, put the vaunted principles of the unMonastery to the test. If, and only if, they are then excluded do they have any right to complain. In the meantime those claiming leadership roles should not be carrying gossip.

On the other hand one of the reasons for standing up the unMonastery as a separate entity was to allow and oblige those who were unhappy about the evolution of the edgeryders platform to show that they could do a better job of developing an online community. Consequently, those people should not be indulging in rehearsing a litany of petty or imagined slights on the old forum. They should be building their new ‘Jerusalem’.

A pox on both your houses if you cannot conduct yourselves more maturely.

Keeping it short

1. Please let’s keep discussion constructive, for healing personal hurts I recommend meeting IRL!

2. @k11, I respect you and <3 you but I can NOT +1 on you as completely neutral facilitator between ER and unMon. Let’s please consider asking for help for example great folks from Emerging Leader Labs. Why inbreed and cook in our own sweat?

3. @nadia, if we talk in public lets all talk in public! When someone contacts you on private with concerns, maybe you could encourage those people to have courage to express themselves openly? C’mon, we don’t have vicious monsters on this platform which will e-chew someone. Even if someone will loose one’s calmness, others will step in and offer support on comforting to other one feeling offended. I think people need encouragement and not mom who keeps ‘helping’ them to clean their noses.

4. Talking online in open doesn’t = keeping everything on ER platform. If unMonastery currently doesn’t provide any open forum - PLEASE OFFER ONE! If you need technical help, let’s ask @almereyda for help! unMonastery already has VM on Ecobytes to run whatever needed.

5. @nadia, if you didn’t come to Berlin for unMonastery Gathering, please consider to consider yourself simply less involved and don’t try to “call the shots”

6. If anyone here feels that people currently working on unMonastery have some debt towards you. Please state it loud and clear, including your precise demands and proof of your past contributions. IMO staying vague obligations/expectations doesn’t help anyone.

7. Online tools need integration? Of course! Who actively works on it? I only know that @almereyda does, myself and maybe @jamesl still does. Anyone else here? Until we sort out various technical obstacles, let’s acknowledge current limitations and learn how to leave with them. We don’t need all to use the same channels. If will to communicate exist then people will bridge conversations . And if you want to have nice online integrations available sooner - CONTRIBUTE to developing them! (now I juts go back to exactly do that)

Last but not least

1 Like

keep it playful :slight_smile:

Elf,

we’re in the same room but for now I can only really strongly agree on one thing you stated here… that is also in the same room… “Keep it playful”

:slight_smile:

Nothing against Nadia!

@dorotea have brought to my attention yesterday, that one can interpret my comment as ‘against @nadia’. I would like to clarify that I didn’t put such intention into it. I just have impression that while Nadia tries to help with really improving something, it unfortunately seems to result in contrary - making this situation even worst.

IMO both Edgeryders and UnMonastery communities (including cross over between them) have enough participation from various people. So while Nadia and @ben somehow ended up in unfriendly resonance, others can step up and keep the vibe more positive and constructive. Which I have impression happened already :slight_smile:

Nothing against anyone

An assumption of good faith (no one is “against” anyone) is both required and reasonable in any constructive conversation. Knowing you a bit, @elf_Pavlik, it is not hard to believe you are not bearing personal grudge.

That said, thanks for making the point, therefore helping to spread the better vibes.

Better Vibes :slight_smile:

Exactly , helping to spread better vibes :slight_smile:

I’m definitely willing to help with that !

hi and thanks

…to all for your clarifications, obfuscations, flame warring and poxes too!

all are very welcome in my view, the more info, the more crap, the more enlightenment, the better…

lets have it all out finally (and never finally) to find new inspiration in this mess of humanity that we chosen to enter into here, no there’s never any final conclusion to such conversations (how could anyone even try to mediate, i mean meddle, i mean mediate)…

we must apologize as needed, continue to fight back were necessary, to conflict when necessary (and of course to find the positive when it helps balance things out)…for is that not the essence of who we are? conflicted, prejudiced, one sided, unholy, ungodly, unmons trying to escape from business as usual? please, let’s be honest about the process (and our own process) and stop pretending to be like everyone else ok?

an answer to anything? all we can do is to continue as we’ve continued, hobbling along at times, flying along, edging ourselves towards new forms of being, of being together, organizing, collaborating, designing new ways of seeing, but please let’s not be so evolved as to design away our demons, our personal hells, we need them all, thanks to all who have spoken up!

cheers friends, looking forward to working in athens soon…

1 Like

Moderated group now accepting members

Hello all, as Ben has resurfaced to post a first (short) update in the to-be-moderated group, I have taken the liberty of accepting the sign-up of those who had requested access to it, i.e. @cristiano_siri, @dorotea and @billy_smith. I name them here because I am not sure that Drupal serves email notifications when your pending request for membership in a group is accepted. I think it is the first time this happens in Edgeryders.

Those who wish access to that group can request it here: https://edgeryders.eu/en/the-confessional

Alternative channel for accepting members

The three people mentioned above could successfully request membership to The Confessional, and have now been approved. If you want to access the group but can’t for some reason, let me know by whatever channel and I will add you manually.

yes please

thanks,

michael

Done

@mishek you are now a member of The Confessional smiley

Request to join The Confessional

I would like like to help mend and redesign these bridges

Accepted with thanks

You are now a member, David.

Welcoming Projects- Community Building and Management View-Point

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I know that many comments here refer directly to the unMonastery project, but I would like to get back to what I perceive as the more general and objective reason for making this post by @nadia . This general question as I perceive it was “how to make a collaborative project/process welcoming in practical and realistic terms” .

(There are more aspects of the questions asked, but I’ll refer to this aspect here)

I think it’s a good thing that we can learn together and improve our projects based on gained shared knowledge.

We can learn in neutral objective ways, even if sometimes we might have more emotionally involved views on some projects . ( But it’s completely OK to feel emotional about things too . )

It’s possible that most conversations around the topic of unMonastery, even as an example, are in some way emotionally charged, especially for everyone involved in a project since the beginning, but we can still try to look at it from a different perspective and answer the questions objectively.

I believe this post might have been actually more neutral in the questions asked that it might seem, and referred to the conversation me and Nadia had about what makes a collaborative process/project welcoming ( in the context of this wiki https://edgeryders.eu/en/manual-for-healthy-communities/healthy-communication-culture-how-it and the project I proposed to start working on, learning together on many examples .

I’ve been working on this topic for a while now, and I’m happy to help. Just because I genuinely care :slight_smile:

One of the important ingredients of the answer is welcoming human interactions and communication. How can I join the project (in practical, realistic terms)? What happens when I have some concerns? How can I join the conversation ? How can I collaborate constructively and enjoyably ? etc…

As an example ( neutral example, really :slight_smile: in the context of unMonastery, how can I support and help ? how can someone participate in building the project together (not just apply)? what are possible collaborative processes to co-design that makes a project of this type welcoming ?

I’m interested in finding the answers to these questions so that it can improve any collaborative process and project.

I think that many people who might care about the project like unMonastery (containing the co-living feature) can possibly have some reasons constraining the option to be at the specific time in the specific location ( in the co-living context or event context, the same applies to the edgeryders projects and events, like Lote events, Futurespotters, etc ) but still would like to be involved and included in a participative way. How can people “keep in touch” but not just via social media or a newsletter type of updates, but rather as a collaborative conversation ?

Another practical matter to consider is that people have very different skills to support the projects with. I think supporting the diversity can be very beneficial for collaborative processes/projects, so the way of joining should not constrain finding creative solutions to join the project in different ways.

A real-life practical example : In my case, and the different possibilities of joining the unMonastery project, being based in Berlin at the moment, how can I join, help/support/ have insight into the project to design and evaluate possible ways of joining?

possible answers :

• open forum with discussions so that people can know how to possibly "jump in" or suggest some good solutions . my possible offer : I can help with "community management" "group dynamics" "communication" and "moderation"
  • different working groups (also possibly working meetups) for different cities . my possible offer : I can help with Berlin group
  • general "community calls" (could be joined with edgeryders community calls) - having bi-weekly or monthly calls to update and talk about the project . my possible offer : I can organise and coordinate these kind of calls

my proposals here aim to generate solutions that would off-load the work generated via such solutions and I could possibly take the lead on it or help to organise it

etc…

happy to co-design solutions for this, or propose some more

( just a neutral :slight_smile: question to consider )

Much Love and Hugs to everyone <3

cc-by credits :slight_smile:

I have to credit elf here, I like to credit good people :slight_smile:

for giving me a good advice “how to constructively help” in this discussion

I’ll share the advice points :

• talking from your own perspective
  • creating constructive proposals
  • helping to possibly off-load peoples work  

Thanks elf !

Caring about unMonastery

Hi again :slight_smile:

As a practical example of a creative collaborative solution for everyone who wants to express their care about the unMonastery here is where you can express it https://edgeryders.eu/en/unmonastery/i-care-about-unmonastery-because-icaub-140 @emkay made it for you :slight_smile:

I had some very nice constructive and interesting conversations with @emkay when he was staying here at our space in Berlin and later too,

I believe he has some really nice approach and ideas and I think we have identified some nice and interesting things worth working on.

Hugs <3

1 Like