"There's gonna be some changes made"

My school days are not over… yet. I’m currently writing my Masters thesis within the domain of Aesthetics and Culture and as my topic I chose Techno Fashion, the embedding of nanotechnology in fashion design and how that impacts on our contemporary culture.

The most recent, and most pertinent job experience I’ve had was when I took an internship in Berlin last summer, where I worked for an artist duo. It was my first time officially working in a creative field and I had no idea what to expect from my employers, my job or the city of Berlin. This internship was a mandatory part of my study and usually students have to take a course on organizational theory so they can build up a theoretical basis and the necessary knowledge before being thrown out into the real world where they can apply that knowledge. But the university decided it would be better to let students get the empirical evidence first and then come back and process it through the prism of organizational theory. So my class was one of the first to try this system out.

When I got to Berlin and started my internship, I was a complete blank. So for the first month I didn’t dare do much else than follow instructions, do what I’m told and lay low. In the meantime I was trying to analyze my surroundings, the workplace, and the different work situations/relations in order to better do my job. But that didn’t work out too great for me. Because I didn’t have the basic knowledge on how to deal with different situations and conflicts in the workplace. And I personally felt that if I didn’t have that knowledge, I shouldn’t take charge and try to steer the situations or conflicts in any way. This is in great part due to my personal background that implies a certain fear of authorities. But this experience has helped me a step further towards shedding that fear and taking more charge.

Anyways, I came back home from Berlin with a lot of unanswered questions and hiatuses. And when I took the aforementioned course on organizational theory, all those questions got answered one by one and I was able to reflect on my acquired experience in a very constructive way. Now I feel much more prepared to face any job situation knowing what to expect. One of the wisest universal truths my teacher told in class – or at least the one that stuck with me most – was that where there are two or more people gathered in a work space there will always be conflicts of some sort. This might seem banal and simple at first, but I had previously thought that it is possible to live la vie en rose if you find the perfect job. I have now acquired the tools to assess coworkers and job situations with the help of models like the PaEI and of theoreticians like Edgar Schein, Gareth Morgan, Henry Jenkins and Dominique Bouchet.

The reason this method worked for me is that I find it extremely helpful to put my personal experience in a broader socio-political and cultural context. That helps me better understand myself, the people around me and the role I’m playing in this whole scheme. I believe most people lack someone (qualified) to share those nasty experiences with. And it doesn’t always help to talk to your coworkers about everything that’s wrong in your workplace because they’re in it themselves. Then it can snowball and become a bickering club of the discontent workers, which can drag down the atmosphere and is in no way constructive.

To give you a concrete example, my employers were in a deep identity crisis both personally and professionally. It didn’t help that the “office” was in their living room, which made it even more difficult – both for them and for us – to keep private life and professional endeavors separate. They were at a crossroad in their lives that made them very uncertain of what to do, what step to take next etc. This is where the PaEI model came in handy (although in hindsight). It was such a relief for me to be able to pinpoint exactly where the problem was. This young business was in its baby-stage. That meant that there was not much long-term planning to speak of, everything was chaotic and projects kept piling up on top of everyone’s desks because the bosses couldn’t focus on one thing at a time out of fear that they would miss ten other opportunities to do something more constructive. This system… or lack thereof, was detrimental to the state of mind of everyone. Had I known about the PaEI model in advance, I would’ve probably been more prepared to tackle the problem and even help structure the work progress so that every day at work wouldn’t have to be an emotional rollercoaster for everyone. Now pile an identity crisis on top of all that, which occasionally meant that I was instructed to do one thing, but when I did it, I was “chastised” for doing so, and Houston, we have a problem.

Now, I understand that school doesn’t prepare you for anything. And the school system is flawed more often than not. But I was personally lucky enough to study at a university that matched my personal learning patterns, and in the end, I think that’s where the problem finds its core: the mismatch between individual learning patterns/personalities and an extremely rigid school system.

We can all agree that the current work market can not accommodate most of the population. Employers are under-stimulated, stressed and bereaved. And I guess my biggest shock in my encounter with the Berlin artist-duo, derived from the realization that this doesn’t only apply to boring accountant or lawyer firms, but it’s right there at the heart of the creative business as well. Because it’s a BUSINESS. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but we can take small steps towards changing that, and if we don’t all have the possibility to become self-starters and entrepreneurs who can employ different work methods, we can change things by speaking our minds. Employers need feedback just as much as employees, it’s a part of the human innate need for recognition. Had I had the necessary tools at the time, I would have been able to help my employers figure things out. It was first after I’d finished the class that I realized that I could’ve done soooooo much.

In closing, my point is that theoretical knowledge shouldn’t be cast aside as useless. But if you don’t have a professor who can help you contextualize your experience, start a club/forum/discussion group/blog whatchamacallit and use people around you who can help. Or try reading some organizational theorists, and channel their writings through your own experience. Internalize their teachings and apply them on your everyday situations in order to understand them and be able to apply them later. If you do that, it’s not going to be such a boring read, I promise!

Improved educational model: first practice, then theory?

Adria, first of all great to see you here and that you could finally squeeze in some mins to participate! For those who don’t know you, you’ve been following Edgeryders ever since the beginning. Here are some thoughts after reading your story, which in my opinion raises so many issues:

1. I literally had to google search images of this techno fashion, I had seen something like this before but wasn;t familiar with the name. wow, can’t imagine how it’s like to study it ! Definitely hand me in some readings when you have a chance, or maybe your thesis when it’s done :slight_smile:

2. What is this PaEI model you couldn’t consciously use back in Berlin, but intuitively did so? What does it mean?

3. The educational model you are talking about: coupling theory with practical knowledge in a way that makes sense depending on the field of study or learning patterns, I think generally it is quite spread. That is, in theory it should work like this, but most often it is not adapted to unique learning settings. For example, in Romania you do have internships coupled with theory, but somehow there’s not much connection between the two, meaning that students very often end up doing the internship but only for the paper proof, and work in activities remotely connected to what they study. Most of the time you have to find opportunities yourself, the school doesn’t really care what you do as long as you get a proof… The problem is that there’s no evaluation process, nobody asks you what you learned, or to talk about it with school mates, so as to internalize and critically assess your learning process. You do it, you get the paper/ credits, you have 1 more line added to your resume and that’s it. Of course, this is general, not all the time things happen like this, but in my experience yes.

Thanks again and stick around, ok?

Noemi

Personalized applicability

Hi Noemi,

Thank you for a warm welcome! I’m honored to be a small part of such an amazing community and I’ll do my best to dedicate more time to this project!

Well, to answer your first question, I’m not suggesting the order should be inversed and that the whole school system should be reformed and introduce first practice and then theory. I’m saying that worked very well for me personally. If I had had the theory first and the internship later, I would have forgotten half the theory before I started work, and I wouldn’t have been able to put it to good use. But the theory should be taught in relation to some form of applicability. In college, most students have a part-time job. So subjects as organizational theory could be taught more efficiently if they related directly to the student’s personal experiences within the work market. Bottom line: teach students theory but touch upon their personal experiences so they can internalize and apply the theory.

1. Regarding Techno Fashion, for starters, I would recommend Bradley Quinn’s book “Techno Fashion.” You can browse through it in Google books to get an idea of what it is. And as for my thesis, I’ll make sure to send you a copy when I hand it in :smiley:

2. Your second question: “What is this PaEI model you couldn’t consciously use back in Berlin, but intuitively did so? What does it mean?”

The PaEI model was made by Ichak Adizes, formerly a professor from the John E. Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA. The Adizes Methodology is a set of practices and procedures for optimizing organizational function on an ongoing basis. He takes a holistic approach that includes both collective and individual management styles, abilities, behaviors, values and aspirations.

Adizes has a theory on organizational lifecycle dynamics where he describes 10 cycles an organization goes through, just like a human being would. Check more on Adizes out here: http://paei.wikidot.com/adizes-methodology (life cycles are three quarters down the webpage)

I didn’t use the PaEI instinctively. I didn’t use it at all while in Berlin because I didn’t know about it. But I could have used it efficiently if I had known it.

It would have been very helpful for me to be able to place my employer’s business within Adize’s model and put it into context. The model serves to pinpoint problem areas in an organization so once you’ve put your finger on what’s wrong, you can counteract that. In this case the problem was that the organization was still in the Go-Go stage (combined with tendencies from Adolescence and the Infancy stage), which means that its attention was dissipated, they had too many priorities at once and they weren’t that good at collaborating with others. E.g. I would get an instruction to do a certain task, but within 5 minutes, my employers and my co-intern would be gathered around my computer trying to solve the same task. Just like a toddler that gets a hold of a toy and doesn’t want to let loose, my employers delegated assignments without being able to completely let go and let me do my job. This wasn’t so much lack of trust in me, it was mainly their lack of ability to work with others, and their need to control everything – which Adizes calls the “Founder’s Trap”.

1. I don’t know how spread the model of coupling theory with practical experience really is. I took my Bachelors at another institution here, at Århus School of Business(ASB). And all the exchange students I’ve met there were told me they chose ASB because it is so renowned across Europe for being one of the best schools to offer the perfect balance between theory and practice. Well that really wasn’t the case for most of those students, and it wasn’t the case for me either. I thought much of the theory we were taught was presented in a really dry, insipid manner that didn’t help me process and internalize it so that I could hang on to it long enough to apply it later. And out of all the educations possible I’d imagined that studying what I study now, aesthetics, a branch of philosophy would just propel me into a world of ideology that is completely divorced from reality. But that isn’t the case. Mostly because Århus University has restructured a lot throughout the past decade and has perfected its mastery of combining practice with theory.

And what you said about Romania is true. Unfortunately the school system doesn’t encourage and support hands-on experience and the theory is detached from actual reality. It’s a very outdated and rigid school system which we copied from the German tradition, but later failed to re-copy so that we could go along with the developments as well. It’s an advanced oppressive machinery that intends to spit out mere robots. But I am confident that this will change. Being a Romanian myself, I definitely had some difficulty adjusting to the Danish school system because I was a whetstone grinder (tocilar) but had no ability to think for myself. So I kept looking for a rigid pattern to lean up to because I felt completely lost without them. In some courses we didn’t even had books, our course material was comprised of hundreds of different news paper articles, excerpts from different books, essays, blogs etc. That was really confusing.

Theory rocks

From wikipediaI agree wholeheartedly. I am pretty much a theoretical guy myself, and - despite my well known sweetness and high tolerance for my fellow’s human beings - I find myself pretty annoyed at the self-appointed pragmatists that like to say “oh, but that’not what the real world is like”. Of course it’s not! Theory is models, and models HAVE to be simpler than the reality they describe, otherwise there would be no point having the model. The map must never be so accurate as the territory, lest it become the territory and then you are back having to make a map of it.

Now, the interesting question is where you can find the theory that you need. In your case, it turns out, your university did give it to you. Actually (unless I have got that wrong) the “shock and awe” internship experience was meant to be broken, so that you could learn just how important organizational awareness is. When I went to university, not so much: we would be taught lots of theory, but not that kind of theory. However, you also offer another suggestion, that of setting up a club/forum/blog or whatever, which basically means you suggest discussing this with your peers.

I would be interested to try that out. In my circle there is organizational lore being passed around: although that is by no means my main concern, I do need a bit of it to function (especially since I work occasionally with large organizations), and so I pay attention. I have to say that a lot of key intuition can be found in a comic strip called Dilbert. It is meant as a critique of micromanaged office environments; and, since it is well founded, it ends up teaching you stuff like “meetings are almost always useless and narcissistic environments, and therefore make for a very poor coordinaion technology”. I have occasionally managed people, and have had the good fortune of designing work relationships in teams built from scratch, and Dilbert has been a good reference point as where not to go.

I remember your name from very early Edgeryders, Adria. Re-welcome, and this time stay with us!

Get that network-party started

Hi Alberto,

I’m glad you agree with me! It seems to me as well that today theory to the layman has the same effect as kryptonite on Superman. Theory is NOT better than practice and vice versa. They have to remain in tandem, otherwise you loose touch.

And as you pinpointed, it is indeed finding the theory you need. That’s why I think a community of like-minded people could offer the necessary and relevant support. The Internet is a bottomless pit of information and with all the recent adjustments and customization on Google’s part it becomes more and more difficult to find what you actually need when you need it.

A perfect example of what a website could look like is barbelith.com. I am still in awe at the mutually beneficial discussions that arise from the activity of the users on there. And it’s perfectly moderated so as to promote the productivity of the discussions and to prevent less serious users from intervening with disparaging comments. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people would find Barbelith useful even when it comes to finding the type of theories we are discussing now. However, the website is created by a closed underground community around LARP(live active role playing) games and it’s pretty difficult to get in and contribute to the discussions, but you can still read everyone’s posts without being a member.

Another possibility would be to visit the websites of different universities and check out the curriculums for the different courses that are relevant to you. Most universities have the teachers post the curriculums online in their respective course catalogues. At Århus University for example, they list the main bibliography for each course under “Literatur”. Here’s an example of my search within the domain of business and social sciences:

http://kursuskatalog.au.dk/#!mainArea=4

This is quite a nerdy tactic to employ, but nonetheless, it’s a good place to start.

In Denmark and Germany for example the universities are free and open to all. This means you can go to lectures without being enrolled at the university. This would be another good method of finding theoretical suggestions.

And, since we do live in a network society, I would also encourage really making use of that network. Don’t be shy to ask people around you even if you don’t know them well, maybe they know someone who can help, or how to point you in the right direction in another way. Send a message to that 235th friend you have on Facebook whom you never talk to but who just might know something useful to you. If all else fails and you do not have a network of people within the desired field, you can make a clandestine visit to the uni’s Friday bar and share a beer with someone who can give you a hint :wink:

And once that circle of peers has been established in some way, I’m suggesting that you use those people to contextualize your own experiences on the work market. Find people smarter than you who can help you understand what’s going on and point you in the right direction. Even if they can’t give you good advice, it really helps talking your perspective through with someone else. Their insights will help you look at the matter differently and that might just result in your own progress/peace of mind/enlightenment… they might not give you all the answers, but present arguments that might help you create a synthesis and better understand your situation.

I hadn’t heard of Dilbert before. Great that you mentioned it, I’ll check it out :smiley:

Thank you for your warm re-welcome. I’m here to stay and I’ll probably see you at WOMEX again later this year!

Flickering light at the end of the tunnel

What a description of a ‘concrete example’!

Deep identity crisis is something which I have seen widely, actually… It does have a profond impact at work and in both professional and personal relationships. Therefore, the most helpful knowledge I gained over the years was about people: why certain types of personality think and act a certain way. I read books and books about that. Very imperfectly, I try to neutralize behaviors by understanding people. But nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. It is not something easy to learn. It takes a life time to try to master the art of relationships.

I agreed with you, when you say ‘I understand that school doesn’t prepare you for anything’. But when I read this, I’m shocked! How many years do we spend on school benches? All my life, I thought the same thing about my years of education, ie it did not do much for me, apart from giving me a piece of paper that says ‘Diploma, graduate’, coming from a university that apparently enjoys an excellent reputation.

It’s still a bunch of lost years, somehow, that could have been used to learn more useful things. I continued my journey with a sense of waist, like a bad taste in the mouth that lasts for years, until you come to realize that you are probably not in the wrong, but the system might need some improvement. The family looks at you wrong. Society might think you are deranged if you show an atypical pattern. Finally, to get rid of this weight, one must put a big fist on the table!

It (the education system) is still what it is, but at least we can see a small flickering light at the end of the tunnel, we hear here and there, between branches, that a reform would be necessary. This encourages me that the next generation might be less… lost. My son is 6 years old, in Grade 1, and is not showing signs of exasperation and despair… yet. Nevertheless, he had early signs: he asked this question, How many more years before completing university?He had EXACTLY the same reaction I had, that is to say, contemplate with detachment the range of years to come. (It scares me!)

Meeting people where they are

Hi Lyne,

Thank you for your comment!

Can you recommend some books on personality types and on how to adapt your communication style to other people in order to make the communication more efficient?

This is a topic that interests me very much and my experience in Berlin has taught me the importance of relating to your interlocutor. It is really important that you meet people at their own level when talking to them, otherwise nothing good ever comes out of a relationship, be it personal, professional, romantical relation or even a friendship. Me and my friends discuss this a lot and we always seem to bump our heads into the notion of manipulation, which almost always comes up in this context. In a way it is manipulation to alter your own behavior in order to achieve a positive outcome. However, manipulation is such a negatively laden word. But basically making the other person feel heard and putting your message across in a manner that is digestible for them is just effective communication.

As for the school system and the wasted years… yes, it is really depressing. And it is depressing to see the rate at which especially young boys feel left out and under-stimulated so that they drop out of school at some point. But luckily there are some initiatives and trends that seem to propose viable alternatives, which for me takes away a bit of the despondency. If you ever find yourself having an hour to spare on the subject I would recommend this talk with Astra Taylor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIyy1Fi-4Q&list=PL62142F721F29F138&index=11&feature=plpp_video

And also, you might want to check our fellow Edgeryder Sebastian Hirsch’s website:

http://www.playducation.org/

But I wouldn’t worry too much about your son. Having such an intelligent and spirited mother will surely ease his pain during the long, boring school years! Besides, as my original post suggests, it helps having someone tell you what’s happening around you. So it makes things easier having a mother to tell you that the school system might not be perfectly, but if he knows exactly what to take from it and what to leave behind in the classroom, it won’t seem as dismal anymore.

2 references

A very important book for me — it was a revelation and I re-re-re-read it regularly — was Heal your wounds and find your true self (Les 5 blessures qui empêchent d’être soi-même), from Lise Bourbeau.

The notion of ‘manipulation’ that you mentioned, corresponds for Bourbeau to ‘wounds’ that we all get in early childhood. These wounds condition our existence. We even wear masks to protect ourselves against what made us suffer.

Bourbeau demonstrates that all problems, whether physical, emotional or mental, stem from five important wounds: rejection, abandonment, humiliation, betrayal and injustice, causing five behaviors corollaries: dependence, leakage, masochism, the desire to control and psycho-rigid attitude.

Whenever we feel hurt, it’s our ego that likes to think that someone else is to blame. We are therefore trying to find who is guilty. (Sometimes we blame ourselves.)

The masks that we create to protect ourselves are visible in the morphology of a person. They are therefore visible in outward appearance. You see, the body is so smart that it always finds a way to let us know what we need to address.… Bourbeau explains how to identify these wounds. She also explains how to heal wounds and how to transform masks.

Books by phychiatrist Marie-France Hirigoyen helped me look in depth the profile of the dominant. Femmes sous emprise, les ressorts de la violence dans le couple, and Le harcèlement moral, la violence perverse au quotidien, allowed me to understand dominance, and learn how to detach from it. There are in this book amazing descriptions of dominant types of personality. I made many parallels with political figures. I am not sure that Dr Hirigoyen has been translated in English.

Hirigoyen described in her books (for the first time in France) insidious violence exercised by one or more persons against another person without that person being able to defend herself. These actions taken separately might seem trivial but Marie-France Hirigoyen showed that their daily repetition severely affected physical or psychological health of those targeted. She regularly works with governments (European Parliament, Council of Europe, European Commission) on the topic of bullying and sexual harassment.

I have not been sexually harassed myself. But it is a subject that interests me, because there are very few women in positions of power in our society. There are reasons for that... Why is that? Why are women still underrepresented in all spheres of power? It irritates me to see young women in miniskirts in the workplace. Why don't men wear tight miniskirts and sheer nylons that reveal their genitals to go to work? I would love to see men dressed like this... just to see what would happen.

Many dominants control businesses and governements. Everything that concerns dominance (their thoughts, their attitudes, how to neutralize them) interests me.

The thrill of blaming others

I forgot to include in my previous comment, Carl Gustav Jung’s reference (the shadow within us). Wounds, shadow… it varies according to the authors. But there seems to be something deep within us, from which we must free ourselves in order to stop harming others (and ourselves).

The thrill of blaming others

We've always loved scapegoats, in politics and our own lives. Now science offers a new glimpse into its appeal

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/29/the_thrill_of_blaming_others/

“We deny the existence of the shadow, and instead project its characteristics onto others, allowing us to preserve our own sense of goodness. Jung believed that there are several layers to the shadow, the top ones being unique to the individual, qualities that he or she repressed. But the bottom layer is a collective one. And it is that that has been successfully exploited in instances of mass scapegoating. By recognizing our own shadow, we make it less likely that we will project it onto others.”

an education that I never took

Hello Adria,

thank you for sharing this experience and being so concrete about it. Before reading your story I thought that it was only a problemf of the learning system in Greece, but I see that everywhere is almost the same (as you, Noemi and Lyne already mentioned that). I studied for 5.5 years Business Administration and Management in the University of Piraeus, Greece, including six months of exchange student in the Applied Economic Science of University of Antwerp. Add to these years another 12 years of primary education (primary school, college, high school) and 1 year of Master studies, makes a total of almost 19 years studying which means more the 2/3 of my life have been passed studying. And I can admit I ve always been kind of “revolutionary nerd” enjoying learning and studying and reading BUT I only realised the failure and deficient of the education system when I decided to do an internship.

I was very interested in marketing and advertising so before finished my bachelor I decided to go for 8 months in an advertising agency doing an internship. When I applied for the position I thought that my marketing and advertising knowledge plus the fact that I am quite creative would be of course a competitive advantage for my application. LOL…! I arrived there and it was like I was coming out of space… I hadn’t any idea of what was going on. I couldn’t cope with the whole situation and I felt the incapacity of my knowledge. After 5 years of intense university studies, I couldn’t stand by an internship. I realised that the educational system is much more focused on theory and give you a “background” than give useful “hand tools” to work with. I would prefer to have half the theoritical knowledge and double the practical. I used to believe in education and knowledge and I didn’t agree with people who say that Master Degrees are useless and it is more preferable to gain working experience but I have started doubting it. Working isn’t a school? Every working experience is different and we should take lessons out of it, no? I work like this every time and I try to adjust myself in the new environment.

I would like to ask you, Adria, about the feedback that is needed for both sides, employers and employees, in which way you think (or you have tried) it is more effective? I was wondering as sometimes I have some problems with superiors and I don’t know which way and using with tool to speak out.

At the end I would suggest you to connect with Giacomo who is very into the educational system in Italy and shares some great learning stories.Furthermore I am very interested in Techno Fashion and recently I was checking the Post - McQueen Embryos which I find it the compendium of this field. I downloaded also the google book that you suggested and I m going to take a look asap :slight_smile: it would be great to share your thesis when finished!

take care xx

Cultural conditioning

Kalimera Chara,

I like your phrase: “I would prefer to have half the theoritical knowledge and double the practical”. Very nicely put!

I do not think there is an easy way to answer your question about how feedback should be given to both employers and employees. In my experience you can only do this effectively by talking to people at their own level and this is only possible if you analyze the situation to the prism of the respective culture. As we discussed with Lyne as well, it takes a life time to learn how to optimally communicate with people. In your situation, I would imagine that there the Power Distance Index is fairly high, meaning there’s a well-established hierarchy and messages weasel their way through the chain of command. I can imagine that getting a message across demands its fair share of effort and you have yo fight your way past people’s egos just to say what you want to. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Since I am not particularly familiar with your situation I will provide a generic answer, a theoretical one, which nonetheless can be translated and applied very efficiently in every-day situations. I would dare to say that the need for recognition, inherent in every human being lies at the heart of every interpersonal conflict. The sociologist Axel Honneth covers it extensively and Fukuyama also devised his own form of thumos and called it Megalothymia. It’s a theoretical approach, but bear with me :slight_smile:

In Denmark, this way of communicating is standardized, the paedagogical approach is used in every layer of society from Kindergarten to jobinterviews at Vestas and even in political debates. The trick is to ALWAYS start out by underlining the other person’s positives (maybe they made a good point or said something that could inspire you, etc.) and then you ease into the critique points. It’s a part of their nature here and it works splendidely. Caressing the other’s ego creates an opening for discussion and makes them want to listen to you. This sounds very harsh and manipulative but basically, for me it’s understanding human nature.

While I was in Berlin doing my internship, my employers were most often than not open to insights and feedback but you had to catch them in the right moment and formulate it in a certain way before the communication bore fruit. I also experienced a couple of times that I unwillingly challenged my bosses’ power position despite my good intent and while trying to do my job well. It’s very important to be self-aware and find out when you press other people’s buttons just by meaning well.

Depending on your status in the organization you work in, you can shape the discourse by e.g. proposing a weekly or monthly feedback session. Try to initiate a meeting with the goal of opening the channel of communication between leaders and subordinates. It will be hard at first but I would imagine that setting an agenda of introducing a list of problem areas could get the discussion started. Set off with simple organizational evaluation patterns/forms. Find out who’s happy/unhappy in the organization and why. How can those issues be resolved? etc. This sounds a little rigid but it’s necessary to employ a method that suits the respective organization and culture.

Are you the only one who has conflicts with your superiors or are your collegues in the same situation? This is important to know if you want to make headway. If I had a problem with my superiors, I would try getting some one-on-one time with them and calmly formulating my worries using nonviolent communication and telling them how I feel. “I love my job and that is why I wish to improve my work experience, and I need your help / I feel that you sometimes undermine my capabilities / I don’t feel appreciated and therefore can’t do my job as well as I wish” and so on. And then ask THEM to offer a resolution to the problem before you utter your own solutions.

I don’t know if this helps at all. Maybe Alberto could be able to give you some better advice on the issue, considering he’s much more experienced than I am.

Thank you for recommending Giacomo, I added him as well.

And thank you for the McQuinn link :smiley: I’m going to have to consider posting my thesis on Edgeryders seeing that so many people are interested in the topic.

Na se kala :wink: