Travelling through a labyrinth

Dear members of the Edgeryders community,

I am very glad that I found this website and I feel its spirit very encouraging and friendly!

My name is Tamara, I am almost 22 and coming from Saint-Petersburg, Russia.

One of the most important skills I and most of my peers have is Internet using skill. Might sound obvious, but without it my life would be very different and not that exciting, I guess. I wouldn’t be able to participate in thus mission, for example. But this is not the most important skill, of course. The most significant one for me is the navigating skill, in terms of navigating this swirling labyrinth of opportunities life displays in front of your eyes. Actually, at the very beginning, in front of your parents’ eyes.

My parents are the ones I am very thankful for. Due to them, I was able to start learning English as a 4-year old child in a special kindergarten program. English is the skill which has been opening many doors to me in life since then, for instance, I am now studying in the USA for one semester in an exchange program. Another important skill my parents taught me is self-dependency meaning ability to take care of yourself and try to manage your life without asking your parents about the next step. As a teenager, I used to go to camps in summer where I had to stay for 3 to 6 weeks with other children. My parents and friends also taught me the flexibility skill, that is, “try it and see if it works out for you”. I got to try a lot of things in my life from dancing and performing to Sociology. Each of the activities I engaged in took me further through the labyrinth and developed my personality. And now I am never afraid to try something new (unless it is life-threatening, of course).

There is another skill, which can hardly be expressed in one word. I have it thanks to my sociological education. It is a skill of looking around you without taking everything for granted, but questioning the reality and trying to interpret it in various ways.

The specific skills I use everyday are foreign languages, statistics, research, blogging, and what not!

All mentioned skills help in managing my life and work. They wouldn’t be affordable if I didn’t have a learning skill to learn them :slight_smile: I am eager to learn new places, activities, people, opportunities, etc.

Sharing skill is the last but not least one. I am very grateful for being able to share my thoughts and experience here!

The flexibility skill

Hello Tamara,

I find it interesting that you talk about the flexibility skill. I wrote a couple of Shine some light mission reports about the Edgeryders ambassadors lately, where I try to describe how each of these young people has developed a form of flexibility.

I believe that flexibility is what governments need to learn, in order to be able to make an effective transformation from a role of producer to co-producer in collaboration with citizens.  It comforts me to see that a growing generation has an almost innate flexibility, which is so lacking in our present organizations.

The English skill — although it never completely went through my head… after 25 years of trying to speak this language, I still have an accent and block on words. It never complete flows, as much as I would like to — has saved me in many situations. Had I not learned to speak English, I would have missed dozens of job opportunities. But at the same time, I feel like I am getting away from my culture. I became a sort of cameleon, an outsider, even when at home. The people in France think that I am from Paris, because I have an undefined French accent. And the people from home, they never can identify to me, because I have this undefined international French accent. I must have turned into a real global citizen :slight_smile:

We haven’t seen many mission reports from Russian citizens so far. Glad that you joined Edgeryders, and looking forward finding out more about you.

Hi, Lyne!

Thank you for

Hi, Lyne!

Thank you for commenting on my report))

Yes, flexibility is important for sure, but in moderation, because there are moments when you have to follow a track without turning right or left in order to achieve a goal.

I have the same problem with German as you with English. I have been learning it for a long time, but I still cannot speak it as fluently as I would like to, partly because I do not use that often.

I am very glad I joined Edgeryders too! It seems like a very promising and interesting project!

Clever parents!

Hello Tamara, welcome to Edgeryders!

Thanks for this great report, I find it very clear. Your list of skills is… unusual. What I mean is that it makes a lot of sense to me, and yet it is very far from the main skills that my own school focused on… but that was long ago.

Your parents appear to be exceptionally good educators. Can I ask you a little more about them? Who are they? What do they do? How do you think they became so good at picking the right skills to teach you so that you could navigate your life?

Hello, Alberto!

It is great

Hello, Alberto!

It is great meeting you!

Thank you for commenting on my report!

The funny thing is that whenever I ask my parents how they became so good educators they have no precise answer. They just did what they felt like doing :slight_smile: My mother is a pediatritian, and my father is a building manager.

Learning to learn?

Hi Tamara!

This is a really uplifting mission report.  :)  My question, and I don’t know how easy it is to answer, is - how did you learn your learning skill?  Or, in other words, what has contributed to your openness to learning?

I think your description of learning as a skill is right - some of us learn better, or more easily than others, and sometimes more or less easily depending on the type of learning, or the context we are learning in.  What do you think has been most integral to you developing what sounds like a love of learning?  You mention your parents as a significant positive influence.  Have there been any particular personal challenges that you have overcome in pursuit of acquiring certain skills, for instance?

Also, what have you learnt that has given you the most satisfaction?

Hi, Beckery!

Nice to meet

Hi, Beckery!

Nice to meet you!

I am glad you liked my report! I have no idea how I learned my learning skill :wink: It is something very hard to capture, as it is a mixture of genetics, bringing-up, friends, general life experience, etc.

The most integral to me developing my love of learning was, I guess, an opportunity to share what I have learnt with others, their interest in what I have learnt and their desire to share with me also. Sharing gives me the most satisfaction, I think.

There were a lot of challenges that I encountered. For example, long time ago I used to be pretty shy to ask questions and meet new people. And learning languages was pretty challenging too, especially grammar))

Hey Tamara,

welcome to

Hey Tamara,

welcome to Edgeryders and good start! It seems that your parents are big allies of yours and I think you should be very grateful and proud of them (as well as them of you :stuck_out_tongue: ).

I found very familiar the way you are experience learning as I do it almost the same way myself… since I was a baby my parents always encouraged me to try everything and then, choose and this is what I am still doing.

I think it would be great if we meet and share these experiences, have you received the invitation for the Edgeryders conference in June? are you joining?

:slight_smile:

Hi, Luna!

It would be great

Hi, Luna!

It would be great to meet for sure! I have received the invitation, but I am not sure if I will be able to come. I will know for sure soon :slight_smile:

Perfect !! I hope you will make it

Let me know :slight_smile: