TREASURE tasks and deliverables

what are these exactly? Need to double check numbers…

This is not set, it “will be measured”. We didn’t promise any numbers.

• We are working within objective B of TREASURE: “Demonstrate and quantify the economic, environmental and social benefits coming from the adoption of circular practices.” Our contribution is in making sure that there is “private customers involvement in design processes”.

• “Finally, social KPIs will be identified by EDGE through a large-scale online ethnography of the CE movement in the automotive sector.”

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Interview script and informed consent form

##WP4 Alignment meeting organised by TXT, with UniZAR
16 June 2022

TXT is in charge of the deliverable D4.3 aka Treasure platform data lake (1st version) is due by the end of this month. The ToC is ready. TXT asked us to provide a brief description of our tool by 24 June (homework for @alberto because of the data structure part):

The idea of the platform TXT is building is that of a single interface whic connects to the various tools used during the process. It would be interesting to see if it is possible to embed the Graphryder into it. Since iFrame does not work for this, it would be good to think of another solution @hugi, @matthias?

Our deliverable D4.5 Report on ethnography of CE in the automotive industry (1st version) is due in August 2022 - @alberto, @Nica

1 Like

It’s just eye candy, so how about we build a disgource visualization, record it as a video, and then they can embed the video?

2 Likes

Are there any parameters about the length of the report?

No. We decide the format in function of the content. As you know from NGI and POPREBEL, I like an executive summary at the beginning. Also, this is a first version, so it should contain a section about where to take the second part of the research based on the most interesting cues picked up in the first one.

1 Like

@ivan – they will still want the initial short overview of “this is what we have done to date” by June 30th right?

Yes, but I will prepare a separate presentation for that, using @alberto’s network.
The report is to be done as you guys think it should look like.

1 Like

@ivan – I am double checking whether you need anything from me for the June 30th intermediate presentation?

1 Like

We should be good with what is on right now.
I used the CCN Alberto prepared and it should suffice for the General Assembly.

Surprises a part and considering the consortium dynamics, I don’t expect any major feedback before the first ethno report is out.

@alberto@siri has finished coding, and added in the codes I asked her to add from my notes on the Ulm/Technorama events. Can you please create a visualization of the coded corpus from all the events, and then two corollary visualizations split by gender? (we have fewer women, of course, but still…)

Could you also please create visualizations (to start with) where we can look at the depth and breadth of the following codes: circular economy, sustainable behavior, agency, feeling of external control, perception of recycling?

@siri I have been looking at your annotations and because you sometimes have a couple of different notes for the same code, I am not always sure how you use a code in general. Could you please give me an overview of how in general you use “conditionality” and “ideal”?

1 Like

Hi @Nica,

As I elaborated, the code “conditionality” is already in the “treasure tasks and deliverables”:

“The code “conditionality” emphasizes the conditions to which statements/perspectives on the choice of cars, their characteristics or maintenance can be bound.” In general, the given circumstances that are relevant to the context are highlighted with this code. I used this code when interlocutors referred to automotive topics by emphasizing and stating an “if” situation/circumstances. I sometimes used annotations while using this code to point out further interpretations or generalizations of what they said (i.e. cost reduction, do-it-yourself strategies, cost factors, etc.).

I established the “ideal” code later in the coding process as the interviewer raised more apparent questions on the ideal of a car or particular behaviour on sustainability and responsibility. The difference here is that the emphasis lies on the ideal imagination or expectation without a comparative or conditional component.

Please let me know if you need further explanations. I am happy to do it.

1 Like

Ah sorry, you are right, “conditionality” is already in there.

Thanks for the exegesis of “ideal” – I may ask about a couple more codes.

Now that you have coded all the events, what are the 5 key themes that you think emerge from the interviews, in your opinion? (Just a sentence or two about each).

Thanks!

1 Like

@Nica, no worries, I am happy to elaborate on my codings!

These are my five key themes (quite connected to each other):

Sustainability at the micro-macro level: Discourse about behaviours and effects on a small and large scale and their (possible) relationship to each other.

Electronics as a contested a means to an end: Approach to the development of electronics in/of cars and the question to what extent electronics can be a blessing and a curse at the same time, or how many questions go hand in hand with this development.

Fragmented agency: One’s own ability to act in connection with political decisions is questioned or emphasized.

Constrained visibility of knowledge and politics: The communication and transparency of political decisions, processes and economic interests regarding the automotive industry and its marketing is the subject of controversial debate.

The circularity of resources and recycling: To what extent objects are recycled and transformed under given circumstances and for sustainable, economic and political reasons.

Please let me know if you need any further elaborations on this!

1 Like

@siri thank you for those. Could I ask you to please pull 3-5 quotes from the interviews that illustrate each of those emergent key themes, with attributions (so who said it, at which event – I think you should be able to hyperlink them to wherever they are on the platform, right @alberto ?).

I would also like you to pull 2-3 quotes that correspond to the bullet-points below:

• Under-recognition/esotericism of “The Circular Economy” (could be a question/answer, where Jos has to explain what it is, or the interviewee says they are not sure what it is – I imagine there were a number of exchanges like that where you coded the interviews with “the circular economy code”?)

• Tension between structure and agency (I can pull ones from the Ulm/Technorama ones myself, so from any of the others)

• Comparison as sense-making/meaning-making “engine” (how we discussed it and @alberto articulated it in this thread)

• A few “conditionality” codes that suggest/illustrate actionable conditions that might lead to people being more willing to practice circular economy and more sustainable behaviors.

So I am looking for 15-25 quotes to pair with the “themes” and then 8-12 quotes to pair with the “bulletpoints”.

I will leave it to your judgment which quotes best illustrate these things. It would be great to have them in English, however if you are constrained time-wise, if you can put them in a document in German, I can then run them through auto-translate.

The easiest would be to use OpenEthnographer for this.

1. Go to Annotations: https://edgeryders.eu/annotator/annotations
  2. In the search box, type a word that you recall as part of a key theme, for example “Umweltschutz”. Note that “word” here means a word in the corpus, not a code. Also a good idea to select ethno-treasure as the corpus.
  3. When you find the quote that you like, hover over “Show in topic” to see (and follow, if you want to do so) the link to the part of the interview that the quote is taken from.

1 Like

@Nica, thank you for your instructions - when would be the deadline for this?

Would it be possible to do it by the end of this week?