Using Edgeryders Forms

That’s not something for the Edgeryders Forms software to deal with. Its task is only to send form responses to Discourse, and it should not be extended to do something else (or we’ll create a mess). So now that data is inside Discourse, so we’ll have to look there to get it out. Like Owen said:

Yes, that’s possible using the Data Explorer plugin. Since the last update, I can make individual Data Explorer queries accessible to other users. So basically, @MariaEuler tell me the topics of which you want the e-mails of contributors and I’ll set up Data Explorer queries for you. You can then copy & paste this list of e-mails to create a custom list in MailChimp or whatever mass e-mail software you want to use.

3 Likes

That’s perfect.

1 Like

Ok, here’s your Data Explorer query to determine e-mail addresses of contributors to a topic:

Data Explorer query “Users: topic contributors, with e-mail” [edit: link corrected]

Since you are moderator and can see all e-mail addresses anyway, it was not necessary to restrict this to certain topics. So instead, enter the topic ID from the URL of the topic you’re interested in, and you’ll see the usernames and e-mail addresses of contributors. There’s a CSV export function in the result list that should allow to transfer the results to Mailchimp or a similar software from where you want to message people.

All Discourse moderators and admins have access to this Data Explorer query, so you can also share this new tool with these colleagues.

3 Likes

perfect, just what we needed.

This looks very useful, thanks Matthias !

I’m experimenting with using the forms as a personal contact form and will try to nudge people to get in touch with me through it instead of email. Let’s see how it goes. I’m linking to the form from my new webkit-powered website.

https://hugi.se/

1 Like

Hello, it would be great if we could get the list of the people who registered on this form. We have promised them the link to the info session upon registering.
@matthias @MariaEuler @owen

@matthias, I just tried the new tool but because I am not an admin I am do not have access.

1 Like

Turns out, I gave you the wrong link because the mechanism works a bit different than I expected. The correct link is: Data Explorer query “Users: topic contributors, with e-mail”

Also fixed in the original post above.

With the corected link and you being a moderator, you can now use the data explorer query I made for Maria to obtain these addresses: visit the query page, type the topic ID 14460 into the box, click ▸ Run. Voilà :slight_smile:

Edit: Full instructions about using this data explorer query are now in the Edgeryders Forms manual section, under “4.4. Obtaining e-mail addresses of respondents”.

3 Likes

Works like a charm. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Matthias,

The query does not work anymore. I need the list of people that have registered on this form for the follow up emails. When I type 14481 in the query, only two names appear. The same goes for this form and this one too.

You have to use the Discourse topic ID where the form submissions are posted here on the platform, not the ID of the Discourse topic defining the form questions. For the example of Edgeryders Forms, you find the right ID as follows:

1. Take the ID of the Discourse topic defining the form questions. For Edgeryders Forms, that’s 14481.

2. Visit Discourse topic 14481 by constructing its URL as follows: https://edgeryders.eu/t/14481

3. In that topic, find the topic ID of the output topic in this part "publish": { "topic": 14460 }. You can make sure that this is the topic you’re looking for by constructing its URL as above, and visiting it: https://edgeryders.eu/t/14460

4. Enter the output topic’s ID 14460 into the query page as discussed above.

1 Like

Thank you!

Follow-up question on multilingualism, in this case for an event that will happen in German for the Wellbeing projects cc (@Richard @Djan):

1. Top priority:

Can I translate the consent form and use that for the event, both technically (@owen) and from a precedural/research (@amelia) point of view?

@amelia:
I created this form for a German event, and I’m worried the English consent form might keep some people from registering: Edgeryders Forms

Is there any possibility that we shorten this part a bit? It seems a bit intimidating when you register and I just wanted to check if it’s absolutely necessary to ask the questions in this way?

If it must remain the same, then I wanted to make sure that it’s OK for me to translate and use that translation, or whether this translation has to go through some sort of review.

@owen:
I can translate the text of course, just how would I get the translation into the form - could you help with this? I found this thread - should I add the translation there?

1. High Priority:

Is it possible to edit/translate the confirmation e-mail that people get sent after registering? E.g. that it includes the event information again, and (this would be very helpful), tell them the username they signed up with and ask them to remember this to change their Zoom name during the event:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 10.56.47

1. Medium Priority:

How do I configure those? Specifically the buttons for:

• Submit
  • Save my answers (in the consent form, it doesn’t seem to be in the code here)
  1. Medium Priority:

Is there a way to change these English parts as well?

1. Low priority
  • The footer " Terms of Participation & Privacy Policy" is in English
1 Like

Hi @hires, I still haven’t finished this yet, the post you linked to was my attempt to find the right format for translated consent forms. What you can do is copy that format and put the German text in a reply to the post, I will try to make some progress on it today.

You’ll need to ask Matt or Hugi this - I think they understand how that notification system works better than myself.

{
      "type": "submit",
      "text": "Send your answer"
}

That’s part of the consent form. Not translatable right now.

It can be, requires update.

The same.

1 Like

Hi @matthias, hi @hugi,

Do you know the best way that I can edit/adjust the E-mail that automatically gets sent to the people who register through the tell form?

Is it even possible to add to the e-mail the user name that the participant chose? (It would be great that they have a reminder in their inbox to look up on the date of the event, when we ask them to rename themselves on zoom to this username)

Finally, do/could previously registered participants also receive an automatic e-mail that they are registered to the event? That would be great!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Where do I put this? I didn’t see it in the code and putting it at the end breaks the form: Veranstaltung: Achtsamkeit für Anfänger:innen

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what this means? When could such an update be done and what would this depend on?

It is possible, but the same email is sent to all who register at all Edgeryders platforms, so it needs to be kept very general. Do you have suggestions that could work with those constraints?

1 Like

OK, I see the challenge there… Would it maybe be possible to set a webhook with the form submission of just this one form that we could then connect with zapier to send an additional mail?