What about being an example for the rest of the World?

Nepal is in the process of being reconstructed, and we are here discussing how to do it in the best possible way. Interesting subjects and key points are being exposed, like:

• How to rebuild with ecological, social and safety concerns.
  • To extingish the old-fashioned cultural beliefs that are not useful anymore, especially those that are even harmful for the new generations.
  • Also those social structures that are like walls producing separation in the society.
  • A new education system that empowers the creativity over the mere memorizing.
  • How to “take advantage” of the leaders who are emerging during the reconstruction phase and boost them towards greater enterprises.
  • How to avoid these new leaders to be tempted by the power and money and do not repeat the History.
  • So, how to reach political stability, as without it we can hardly expect progress.

Well, if you take a look at the World, you can easily notice that these are issues that are affecting not only Nepal, but a great part of the globe.

We are indeed living a stage in the Human History where the status quo is being more and more questioned: the authorities, education, medical system, the questionably healthy industrial food that is being delivered to us, the current economy that is chronically increasing the separation among classes, and even for the most curious, what is the life about and what is reality itself. All of it is being discussed daily in Internet: blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

It is a matter of time that this status quo that is being so questioned, finally “gives in” and leaves place for developing the new ways of thinking (and feeling). In my opinion, there will be one day when this happens wordwide. But somebody has to start. And when I say somebody I do not mean at an individual level, that is something that has already started long time ago. I mean “somebody” as a country, a country that gives example to the rest of the World.

Just wondering… maybe dreaming… what if that country was the new Nepal that we are discussing about?

Crisis means opportunity.

To end with, I attach this free-distribution PDF that may serve you as an inspiration, titled How To Change The World.

1 Like

I checked out the source

of the “How to change the world” link you give. While the 106 pages certainly contain advice that may lead to desired results sometimes, it is littered with low quality information (perhaps “data” would be the better word).

I have spent some time going through it, and other things coming from the same source. Bottom line is I would file them under “the darker side of the internet”. Here an example, lest you spend too much time searching yourself:

It wouldn’t have hurt to give a reference perhaps? Or at least grid lines and axes marks instead of stars? Did you ever find yourself wondering why so many years only managed to get 4.7 big events and most even less - I recommend starting here 1789 - Wikipedia

If people try to make you retell some narrative without providing you the means or significant support to independently verify it - you should be skeptical. If you distribute false or misleading information - it is a little like infecting the thinking parts of society with diarrhea. You should not be doing that. I am not trying to single out the original poster (or exempt me from doing this at times) but more does not always make better. Especially when it is very easy to copy & paste but hard to understand & check.

Want something actionable?

Oh and the sustainability discussion

Thank you for your thoughtful observations about social change, connecting the points in the dialogue on this platform so far!

One point to be added to the discussion (that we should discuss because it is highly relevant for change and positive leadership in Nepal, but we have not discussed it so far) would be this: How can society in Nepal avoid the trap of consumerism? The West might be slowly coming out of it, but Nepal is entering it full speed these days.

Economic prosperity is what people are working so hard for here, and for good reasons. But how to make sure they work for the right, sustainable kind of prosperity, not the crappy kind that has entrapped us in the west for the last 25 years at least? For example, there are so many small shops in Kathmandu, meaning livelihood for many people. With the advent of big malls they would go, and retail profits will go to big business and international shareholders then. The same could happen in a lot of other areas …

On a last note, maybe Greece could also be the example … after the big No in the Greek bailout referendum yesterday.

No immediate action required

@Matthias my gut feeling is that this phenomenon is an important part of the bigger picture. It has implications all over the place, including the platform architecture…

?

Hello trythis, thanks for your response  :slight_smile:

Important to note that I wrote “I attach this free-distribution PDF that may serve you as an inspiration”, not “I attach this free-distribution PDF that you must read and believe 100%”

Actually my recommendation is not to take for granted anything that is said to you until you prove it by yourself.

Alright, and what are exactly the things that you define as “dark” in it?

And if you would like, we can equally discuss about the things you agree…

1 Like

I think we agree on too many things to discuss them all in a lifetime. :slight_smile:

Re dark: I can’t say (as in: I am not capable) what they are exactly. It’s the things that tend to draw society closer to consequences that it will regret. Although by really regretting things one has done, one can also learn and develop further. So it is often not so easy to say which part is the more important one.

about the consumerism

Hello Matt, you are welcome!

It seems we both have the “bad” habbit to work in the night  :slight_smile:

(maybe because it is the time more reliable for a better Internet and less electricity cuts here in Nepal…)

Good point to discuss about, by the way, about the consumerism…

Not easy to solve, but education has -again- something to do with it, and also it could be mitigated with special policies from the goverment.

Sadly, in the current capitalist economic system, consumerism is what most makes an economy grow, so how to make Nepal grow without falling in this trap? Something to think about…

1 Like