So, lately I stopped having a second job (I used to do so to cover the expenses of ourghema) and I started focusing on more of developing ourghema, and I started thinking: What is next? I am running a well positionned space in Medenine, I was able to overcome so many diffuculties and I am going to sum up my first year in numbers:
- More than 30 events were organized.
- More than 1000 persons were touched through those events.
- +/- 20 persons come to our space daily, and what I am proud of is that more than 70% from them are women, knowing that Medenine is a “conservative region” and it is not an easy thing to gain the trust of Girls, and their parents to go to a public, “mixed” place on a daily basis! Super proud of that! if I did that myslef, but then what if ourghema gets bigger and I don’t do that only myself but with the support of a greater community?
So my plans are currently:
- starting the hackerspace that I started working on already, and it is going to be through a partnership with someone from Medenine (3D Protoksi) , as he is an expert in 3D priniting, (Currently, I am thinking of reaching more people, so I believe that with this partnership, and the support / partnership with Ibtakiroo association, we will be able to reach more people and have a greater impact, more than when ourghema works by itself)
- Focusing on the high school students in this year, and this is a strategic decision as I do believe that they will be the ones who will be making change in Medenine in the coming ten years, so investing in them is quite a great idea! for instance, I am going to make an Ideas Camp which is a big event and this event is funded by l’institut Français and supported by the incubator Labe’ess and, since we already have the Oci Lab incubator doing great job in Tunisia, I thought that they should be part of the Ideas Camp, through having sohayeb and Zmorda as trainers / supervisors, ( Ideas Camp is an event that will work on the tools of processing ideas and how to turn them into impactful actions, after this event, we will continue on working with the participants, whom will be divided into three groups, eachgroup will come up with a social idea after the camp, and work on it in the next three months, with the incubation of the space ! But since we already have OCI LAB, I believe it will be a great thing that they incubate these participants and include them in their program as well
so back to my question, What is next? my answer is that Ourghema will launch a fablab, and then launch an incubator, we will be incubating the young change makers of the south of Tunisia, in a continuing process, and through reaching a larger community, our first incubation experience will be in the coming months and I am excited about it!
@nadia, we have had a discussion in Washington one year ago, about linking different social spaces like ourghema in the MENA region and each space support the other, @alberto suggested something similar as well in the Hackathon, and @matthias suggested the same in this post ! can we go further with these suggestions?
Also, a great coinsidence, I met Mr. Mahmoud Mohieldin VP of the world bank for the 2030 development agenda, in the World Forum Convergences held in Paris, and both of him and his colleague were impressed by the work ourghema is doing and we are currently discussing if the IFC can help in anyway the space (I hope it will work!)
So many things are happening, and I wanted to see if Ourghema, and Edgeryders can go further together!