What questions would we like to ask policy makers and what would you like to delve further into during breakout session?

The Edgeryders conference mid June in Strasburg is a unique opportunity for Edgeryder community members and youth around Europe to express ourselves and bring our experience and vision on issues perceived as important and to share what young entrepreneurs, activists and innovators are doing to tackle them.

Under a Caring for the commons main topic, the commons will be discussed in three types of sessions:

(check the schedule here: http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/conference/volunteer/guidelines-for-the-volunteers/)

1. A ‘meet the policy makers’ session where questions can be asked to policy makers in particular on how institutions and young citizens can improve co-operation in the future

2. A ‘future history’ session to our experiences prospectively

3. Breakout sessions on specific themes with a goal to identify challenges and stakeholders, and suggest actionable solutions.

So if you have:

• Questions for policy makers, for example related to how commons and policy can jointly be developed.

• Experiences you would like to share, for example successful implementation of commons related intitiatives in cooperation with institutions.

• Issues/concerns/challenges that you would like to address

• Specific types of outcomes you would like to achieve or actions you would like the caring for the commons workshop to lead to…

Please share them with us even if you are not with us in Strasburg! We will process this with our volunteer team and get this through.

Briget, Betta & Helene

Here are two other discussions on organizing our sessions that can be relevant to this one (let me know if something was left out):

CALL for CARING FOR THE COMMONS

Culture: learning & the commons

Different vocabulary, unusual ideas, unexpected solutions?

It is great to watch you prepare for the conference! Congrats for your involvement and calls for collaboration.

The coming days will be crucial. Citizens are not really accustomed to being asked these questions. They are more used to having other people thinking about these things in their place, because this is how it has worked so far, isn’t it? Participants now must make a connection between their personal and professional experience - those stories they have told here since last November - and apply that to the public policy realm. It will be interesting to see what happens.

It is perhaps a little intimidating to stand before a blank page, and be the first citizens to do these things. Perhaps should we see this as a great brainstorming session?

The young people involved here are not the most experienced at creating public policy. We should not lose sight of that. The answers may not resemble what the authorities are accustomed to see. Different vocabulary, unusual ideas, unexpected solutions?

Adding the voices of the commons community

Yes Lynne, a new territory to explore and conquer? It would indeed be interesting to have a pre session brainstorming on line right here? I shared this mission on the School of Commoning website so that we can benefit from experiences of others who have already attended or held these type of discussion:

http://www.schoolofcommoning.com/content/commons-session-edgeryders-and-council-europe

Culture commons and culture of commons to solve crisis

The two topics linked by culture link where a discussion started is broken, so I am following up here:

A suggestion for meet the policy makers session is to focus on:

1. Commons approach as alleviation to the crisis. Sharing of experience thereof. How can a commons aproach and reinforcement of a culture of commons (or common good) can help policy makers solving the crisis, and how can policy makers help diffuse commons practices and the emergence of a commons based economy.
  2. Cultural institutions, and how they can forward a commons ethos. (Briget's testimony)
A suggestion for break up session to
  • Clarify language and access to concept of commons (map): what defines a commons ethos/culture?
  • Deepen one point of policy making
We would love to have testimonies on the first point or any other that would be suggested. Thanks!

Changed title of my post

I changed the title and content of my post about the Commons, because it was out of date. The post Helene mentions that is called ‘Two topics linked by culture: learning & the commons’ is now called Culture: learning and the commons. Because I changed the title the link above is broken:

http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/help-build-june-conference/mission_case/culture-learning-commons

Grappling my way

Hello

Thank you so much Helene for sharing so many links here and elsewhere, on culture, sustainability and the commons. I saw in your communication with Michel Bauwens a discussion about the need for a strong third sector of commons institutions, distinct from the public sector and from business. I think this helps me clarify what it is I need to propose. I want to propose something (and it’s not yet formed, and yes, I do know it should be less than 5 minutes) about how there are many categories of institution that can help make a culture shift that sit on a spectrum from the Governmental public sector to the emergent groundroots and piratical. Cultural, media, science and educational organisations are very significant on that spectrum. I’ll try to form a very coherent and concrete model, outlining common goals towards generating biosphere capital. I don’t want to reinvent wheels but to be appreciative of work by the P2P Foundation and others.

But, if others come with more experience, such as people from Las Indias, I’d willingly stand aside for other testimonies.

We need two testimonies don’t we?

Hey Bridget, before we talk this evening. We do need two testimonies, so if Las Indias manage to share someything here and come (which is not quite easy as I see they are very busy), with your’s that’s two! So no need to stand aside in anticipation! I was wondering if we could interview them skype with video to share their experience if they can’t come and if no one steps up with a testimony…