What shall we call Edgeryders' climate/environment unit?

Edgeryders Anthroposcene

2 Likes

yeah @nadia
AntropoScene if we want to go with antropocene is smart. Not everyone will immediately know ā€œoh, this is what theyā€™re talking aboutā€, but this can be leveraged with visuals and smart slogans

1 Like

Clever! Maybe even a bit too clever? If we are going for simplicity, as @noemi suggested, then ā€œGreenā€ or ā€œDeep Greenā€ is as simple as it gets.

Try putting it into context.

Good morning, my name is Jamal. I work with AnthropoScene, a group of people within Edgeryders that ā€¦

Good morning, my name is Jamal. I work with Deep Green, a group of people within Edgeryders that ā€¦

How does it feel?

I really like AnthropoScene, @nadia!

About (Deep) Green, I admit itā€™s simpler and everyone will immediately understand. Nonetheless, in my opinion the word ā€œgreenā€ is hyper abused, it makes me think now at biodegradable laundry soap. At this point, I think itā€™s not edgy enough.

I definetely would say that, proudly :wink:

4 Likes

Also, you can be part of a scene without being part of an organisation. Itā€™s kind of how edgeryders started out, and in many senses still is.

3 Likes

great point, @alberto - and yes, usually go with the most simple solution.

But a name is also all about how itā€™s use - how itā€™s branded. Shorter the better, but if everyone is using something similar, how do you stand out? (latter also horrible for search results).

Having something different can be a competitive advantage in terms of being found and recognized.

or AnthropoTeam :slight_smile:

As an abbreviation for ā€œAnthroposcene [Response] Teamā€. The direct literal meaning would be ā€œteam of peopleā€, which is not far from the truth either.

Yes. One issue though is that it could be interpreted as anthropologists which is close to what we do with ethnographyā€¦

1 Like

How about Green AnthropoScene?

I would reconsider the word green if paired with an edgier word like that. Itā€™s maybe more intuitive that anthropoScene alone, but not obvious.

The only thing that bothers me it could be the sound -een / -ene repeated. But thatā€™s a minor problem.

1 Like

I think all the Anthropo-something are too hard to get and pronounce.

Iā€™m sticking to Green smth.
Terra Edge proposed by @martin is also very nice! Really like it.

2 Likes

I would vote for the Green Edge or Green - to keep it as simple and unpretentious as possible. You can also tinker around the circular systems and add something from it - but maybe that would be too limiting at the same time. Green makes it simple and open to variety of scenarios with a pretty clear idea ahead.

1 Like

Adding back ā€œGreenā€ seems a good way to make it more intuitively understandable. The ā€œ-sceneā€ part is still not accessible to (my) intuition. But how about, plain and simple:

Green Anthropocene

Because thatā€™s necessarily the goal now that weā€™re in the anthropocene, for better or worse.

2 Likes

Haha. Wow weā€™re really putting our brains at work here. Canā€™t help but sigh, wishing that all our platform posts get this much love :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Ok, it seems weā€™re kind of divided around the Anthroposcene and the Green options. Recalling the previous proposals, there is also Terra/Geo/Gaia.

As I see it, they all have their pros and cons. I try to sum them up (in alphabetical order):

(Green) Anthropo(S)cene
Pros: very specific word to describe the planetary situation and the time we live in, climate change related, urgency, comprehensive of both natural and human, edgy.
Cons: if you donā€™t know the concept, you wonā€™t get it. May sounds academic and difficult to pronounce.

(Deep) Green / Greening Edge
Pros: intuitive, clear, wide concept to be used in very different projects all environment related, unpretentious.
Cons: abused, not edgy, we could talk about anything.

Terra/Geo/Gaia
Pros: inspirational, holistic, planet related, kind of mythical (past and future).
Cons: could be linked to geo-engineering, not related to people, nerdy.

As maybe some of you already know, Iā€™m particularly interested because Iā€™m working at the Climate-KIC project; so, whatever we will choose it would be good for me, but I honestly lobby for the first one :smiley:

BONUS: Thereā€™s a piece of stand-up comedy from the 80s by George Carlin about environmentalists and the idea of save the planet. Iā€™m very into this kind of humour and I agree about the ā€œpeople perspectiveā€ (the punch line is ā€œThe planet is fine. The people are f***ed.ā€), thatā€™s why Iā€™m more prone to the first option.

Now, should we vote, at least one of the 3? And then we could refine it.

EDIT: I post another poll, apparently itā€™s not possible to change it after the first 5 minutes.

1 Like

(Staying studiously out of it) :sunglasses:

@ilaria if you use radio buttons we can only choose one option. You should make a poll with tick boxes insteadā€¦ :slight_smile:

Ok, I try to edit it, sorry :slight_smile:

@alberto, is it correct?

• (Green) Anthropo(S)cene
  • (Deep) Green / Greening Edge
  • Terra / Geo / Gaia

0 voters

Yes! However, letā€™s agree that this a poll and not a vote. Nothing important should be decided on a majority vote.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely.