What we learned at L'Échappée

This week @Celine_D was generous enough to give the Reef group a tour of L’Échappée. In this post I want to make a note of what I think we learned. It is part of a series of topic threads grouped under the tag cohousing-knowledge, which include reports from the visit to several other cohousings (Brutopia, De Okelaar, Earthsong) and from interviews to other projects we have not physically visited (like La Montagne).

L’Échappée is a close relative of Brutopia (and the future Reef), in the sense that it was coached by Mark and designed by Stekke&Fraas. It is a bit smaller than Brutopia: 18 units. The common spaces, from what I could see, consist of:

• A common room, that can be used as a meeting room or a living room-dining room space. It has its own kitchen and bathroom. The mezzanine serves as a play space for children, but also as sleeping quarters for guest (it accommodates up to 4-5 people in the same space).
  • A 400 square meters garden, with composting facility.
  • A laundry room with 4 washing machines and 1 dryer, all solar powered. All inhabitants except those of two unites use it.
  • A workshop in the basement. The basement also contains space for parking cars and bicycles.
  • A vegetable garden on a rooftop terrace.

From the visit, I was struck by three elements.

First: solarpunk look. Some areas of L’Échappée (like the common room, and of course the apartments themselves) are super cosy and “lived in”, with wooden panels and bookshelves and children’s toys. Others are starkly utilitarian, like the stairs: quite narrow to conserve the temperature, steps and landings made of polished concrete, metal railings. This not only helps contain costs, but it also makes aesthetic sense, at least to my eye.

Second: social conventions supporting tight and respectful neighbourly interaction. People in L’Échappée seems very aware that the essence of a cohousing is not only in the architectural infrastructure it offers, but also in the pattern of interaction across the inhabitants. They do a lot of stuff together: a monthly day to “fix and improve things”; a weekly communal meal, with teams of two taking turns (I am not sure it really is weekly); the vegetable garden is tended by teams of people, each team responsible for some of the plants; the garbage is also handled by teams (Celine: “two months a year I am in the team that needs to take out the garbage and keep the bin room clean; the other ten, I do not have to think about it at all”). They even organize a weekend every year that they spend together. Another thing I noticed is the soundscape: everyone was really respectful of everyone else’s quiet. We walked past a group of people (including a child) having a barbecue in the garden, and they were speaking sotto voce, clearly aware of their neigbours, invisible but present in their own units.

All this is supported by an ASBL, whose members are all the inhabitants (including those that do not own a unit, but rent one). This gives non-owners a voice and a stake in the community, and it makes doing common projects easier. For example, the ASBL can ask for subsidies to buy seeds and equipment for the vegetable garden.

Third: people keep experimenting. We learned that there are solar panels on the roof: they are not nearly enough to make the building self-sufficient; for now they power the laundry room and the ventilation sysyem, but about two thirds of the energy generated is not used. So, people joined an ULB initiative called Voisins d’énergie, where they try to figure out how they can share power in mutually profitable way. Also, one of the apartments we visited was experimentally lit with solar lamps.

All in all, a really inspiring visit. Thanks Céline and everyone at L’Échappée for putting up with us!

2 Likes

Thanks Alberto for the report. I’ll just add this, for the sake of accuracy:

• communal meals cooked by a small team used to be monthly, not weekly. The habit has not (yet) resumed since COVID (now it’s more like: smaller groups of neighbours decide last minute to bring their family dinner in the garden to eat there together, etc.)
  • the team (5-6 adults) in charge of taking out the garbage and keep the bin room clean is also in charge of cleaning other communal spaces that month ! (e.g. tidying up the common room, cleaning it up including the windows, taking care of washing machines filters, sweeping the stairs, picking up litter on the pavement).
3 Likes

Thanks, I was meaning to ask you to correct anything I might have been misremembering!

Thanks for this!

A couple of notes for me:

I like the idea that guest rooms can be repurposed easily … Maybe we should include that additionally to making them self contained for potential renting opportunities?

I do agree with nice cosy feel of wooden panels, etc… But to me, despite the fact that it makes sense economically, the stairs really don’t make me happy aesthetically! I think/hope it would be possible to keep the technicals aspects, but to make it a bit lighter and pleasing to the eye (like choosing a nice shade of paint, or adding drawings or stickers or whatever…)

Loving this! All good ideas to make note of!

Also loving this! Growth is one important need for me :wink:

/

And an extra remark:
We have a big question mark about the size of the apartments… It would help us to know if the measures given for the 2 appartements visited, relate to the actual ‘living space’ or to the ‘gross surface’ (ie including walls etc)? @Celine_D , could you make that clear for us? Thanks!

2 Likes