Where do you see yourself in OpenVillage

Hi all, as point out by @hazem famility still count a lot for us. Yet, in the meantime we’re all looking to give a deep and exciting meaning to our life that does not limit to have a good job, kids, house and (of course) a partner. Hence, my personal aspiration is not to form a new ad-hoc community that will replace my other belonging but to find a network of “colleagues” or like-minded people that share the same approach, tools, resources and bonus have fun together.

Recently, I’m becoming a fan of medium.com stories of people, their struggle with their business & tech choices and issues. I’m looking for something similar to listen to the other’s experience but more concrete, with real meeting those people. Like a big global consultancy company of social entrepreneur that meet very oftenly to share their stories, have fun and improve their work.

Ok, that’s not exactly a village but a physical space is IMHO a requirement for something that will be like a permanent and/or iterative team-building/co-design workshop in some nice place with affordable sport and chilling activities… It should be not far away from an airport, one day travel maximum from any other place. After all it looks very much like a village in Tunisia ^^

Ok right now, I think that I speak too much like a consultant ^^

4 Likes

Even though it may be a little bit early for me to imagine how to classify the community of the OpenVillage as I am still figuring out its philosophy and reading the different posts, stories and thoughts on the platform, but I still think what @hazem has developed concerning the classification of the OpenVillage community is a great start. Here is my personal suggestion :

• Enablers: They are the core team of EdgeRyder. They enable the progress in the targeted regions by: bringing together innovator individuals/members, connecting these members to their peers and to relevant organizations, facilitating expertise and ideas sharing and fostering collaboration between them through animating online and offline discussions etc.

• Settlers: They are the founders of the spaces. These settlers work on implementing community spaces (coworking spaces, co-living spaces, hubs, makerspaces, hackerspaces, etc). Of course, as mentionned by @matthias in his post , Each of these spaces will have it is own identity, own business model and sustainability plan. However, I think they should have share and communicate the same values, mission and vision (besides ensuring that all spaces are on the same wavelength and work towards the same goals with common values and principles, it is also for MARKETING and PR purposes)

• Doers (Local Community): who may be the entrepreneurs, community leaders, NGOs Leaders, who believe that the OpenVillage will contribute, in one way or another, positively in their work. They are already in action. OpenVillage will support them to ensure the sustainability of their work (through reducing the operational costs when working in collaborative spaces, sharing with them expertise, experiences or fresh ideas etc.)

• Dreamers (Local Community): who may be the aspired entrepreneurs, young people who seek to change their realities, join initiatives that would bring positive changes into their communities etc. This category, mainly the youth, are still learning, participating in workshops and trainings, discovering, experimenting, gaining experience and looking for opportunities, however they do not have their own venture. this might be the largest population in the MENA region (We are talking about students who want to secure their future and jobless people who are looking to improve their realities). OpenVillage will support the “Dreamers” to become “Doers”

• Supporters (Partners and relevant stakeholders): As I have already explained, Supporters have the expertise and the resources. They can play an important role especially when it comes to empowerment of the OpenVillage local communities and in advocacy for new regulations that would bring positive change (like the case of @Heba and her biking project)

6 Likes

I love how @hazem talked about the openvillage, and how he is still figuring his way as I can relate to that, I know how much courage it takes to refuse working in the Gulf and fancy jobs just because you don’t see youself fitting in there, it is simply not you… Yet, I don’t have any problem with calling it the MENA region, because it is the MENA region and maybe with the openvillage we can help people from all over the world get rid of the existing stereotypes related to this name…

Personally, I participated in other international programs, but the thing that even this is still just an online platform and we haven’t even met yet, this is my favorite program of them all! The interaction, the guidance, the support that all the members are trying to make is priceless, I loved what @Sohayeb classified the roles, I would say I see myself as a settler, if I had the space, and it is part of this great network, I will be happy that I will be able to share plenty of opportunity with people in Medenine, and enable them to be part of something bigger, and deeper, something that would show them what is going on out there, and help them see things from another perspective, this space will be a hub for opportunities for them! the platform is already contributing to my aspiration, as it is helping me shape more the idea, receive feedbacks, and PUSHING me to be more productive with the idea, I’d say I was having the idea in my mind, feeling like I am always not ready to launch the space, but then, after meeting you all, and after reading the proposal that @matthias made, I started to feel like I am not on my own! I have a supportive community and they are there for me.

This platform made me believe in my self more, be more confident about what I am passionate about, and mainly have this goal right now, which is starting this space by the end of this year.

6 Likes

thank you

1 Like

I can relate to this @baderdean. The very assumptions that people everywhere are feeling lost and looking for meaning is indicative that this is a search and that a new kind of network should allow for that flexibility of roles - better yet, mobility throuhg the roles.

You might be one who grew up traditionally and for whom a jump into such a community would be too disruptive, so you would be joining as a nomad in the beginning. Then as one travels and attachments to people, places, projects grow, one can become a settler.

My personal aspiration is to be free to explore, but pay my dues - once in a role and understanding how the cog works in the machine, I would be committed to making the most of it.

About the contribution one puts in, I only see this working if everyone , across all roles / levels of clasification (nomads, settlers etc., but also co-founders, care takers etc.) supports the overall OpenVillage coordination.

2 Likes

This is very rewarding to read, thanks to you @Yosser - I think the “settlers” commitment to a space will make all the difference in the world!

2 Likes

Hello @nadia. I like how all the inspiring young minds are having their thoughts and ideas about more sustainable future with equal access to everyone. For me Open Village Houses concepts are very much practical because it can be an international arena to collaborate and learn with each other. I have studied social work and been involved in many NGO’s of my country. Somehow I always wanted to do something which practically helps people, something related to utilizing natural resources and skills, meeting people from around the world and creating an arena where youth can discuss, share and make connections. I have been lucky that my curious mind have lead me to few international conferences where I made good connections with like-minded people and share visions to unleash the potentiality I hold but there are many more whom we together can guide. Kathmandu is densely populated with students from rural villages, for them getting an opportunity to connect with world or to be supported with resources can be very meaningful. I want to make Open Village House a hub to initiate as well as implement innovative ideas. I see myself believing on those ideas and making them successful or at least try.

HOW?
“Lack of trust in youth potential” and “Lack of resources” have been great problem. I want to work on SMART vision and relate to more attainable goals. My goals are very simple, Co-housing place with sharing kitchen can be great for rural students to get adequate housing facility and enjoy global diversity. (This is very new concept in terms of Nepal).They will have encouraging environment free from stress of landlord or so. They can focus on what they are doing. Co-working space can bring small startups together. It can be IT (Information Technology) students working space. (My brother who is also an IT graduate always wonders if he have some platform where he can casually work with basic facilities to develop app and directly sell apps on market basis like an IT office). Like @hazem said Open Village can be a local community to solve the local challenges.The co-working space or Our Open House can be open for all Movers and Shakers. Coffee roastery will help utilise natural resources and encourage youths to do something in terms of agriculture.

I see many possibilities. One another crazy idea( don’t know how much feasible it is) is to help small startup grow on our network. For examples- Online business need spaces to store things, not everyone can have their own space. Our Open Village can help on it by providing certain space for those online business. I am also thinking to utilise the kitchen more by allowing small companies to use our kitchen for their business. Not for regular operation but for prep and storing like a chocolate/bakery company which don’t need regular need of kitchen. They can just prepare a batch according to their sales target and use again according to demand.

3 Likes

I am still new here… getting to understand how it works…
But if I want to think of it as an ideal village, I would be doing the change I wish to see in this world, as I try my best to implement it in my community on daily basis and spreading love and positivity in everything I do… which is something we are doing through Zyara, by promoting Oneness, self love and resilience.
Also, I would love to meet fellow creators from all over the world and contribute to positive change on a bigger scale.

1 Like

What I like the most about the open village project is that we are spreading a new way of life, a new way to raise hopes in a region that suffers from the lack of opportunities , high rate of unemployment and of poverty, since this project is promoting social innovation and new ways of solving community problems by the community itself according to their needs and believes.
The most interesting thing is counting on a collective intelligence and thinking to solve global challenges in a different ways.
I strongly believe that this project will give more opportunities and visibility for innovative and small projects since nowadays funds are only available to known and big organization who are not necessarily impacting people lives.
For the categories, I suggest to launch Edgeryders Student Ambassadors in different universities with a main mission to promote EdgeRyders values among their peers and support innovative initiatives or projects in their campuses/universities @nadia @hazem @matthias @baderdean

7 Likes

https://lasindias.blog/fraternitas-mercatorum-2 from @lasindias

1 Like

I’m not a student anymore (still a permanent learner and curious that’s why I learn about edgeryders) though I love your idea of Ambassadors in universities. Btw, what do you mean by support? What concrete type of support could we provide?

Agreed about building and growing this we. I am reminded of the discussion that @baderdean started about storytelling. More specifically how it shapes what we end up focusing on.

Especially how we strengthen or break relationships needed to carry something like OpenVillage to it’s full potential as a transformative experience.

This is what makes the Twitterstorm exercise an important one. By weaving what has been said in this thread into the bigger story we are telling to/about ourselves and what we are doing - we are actively shaping the future. Because it becomes a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

So I am going to ask each one of you @anu @baderdean @johncoate @zmorda @Sohayeb @Yosser @DeniseJabbour @unknown_author and @alberto to look at the twitterstorm from this perspectice. Please take time to add your own contributions to this thread in the form of 140 character statements in the shared spreadsheet we are preparing for tomorrow here.

Please leave a comment here once you feel you are done so we can coordinate a bit more.

2 Likes

@m_tantawy @Heba @HadeerGhareeb @natalia_skoczylas @matthias and @SyMorin too.

1 Like

@monarezk@hazem and @zmorda who else am I missing? Im sure almost everyone

@zmorda Couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

Done. I focused my contributions on translating the main tweets into Italian.

I added my twitter account to the sheet a couple of days ago.

Why the Open Village?
Our dream project, in spot the future, is becoming reality \0/

I am overwhelmed by memories now. The youth created a co-working space, learned to live together despite of their differences, and worked put their hands with the community residents to revive their village (…) :slight_smile:

What I am looking for?

• Joining like-minded people who dare to experiment doing things in different ways and inspire others to create waves of change.
  • Exploring and practicing new tools, to disseminate my learning later and inspire my network. Would it be possible to go completely out of the monetary system, for example? How?
  • Partnering with other entrepreneurs to materialize a common idea.

The first thing I would like to do is to plant a vegetable garden, with others. I want to learn to plant, because we are not free if we can’t produce our food. (urban gardening / hydroponic / permaculture)
Reducing, reusing, recycling, upcycling, composting etc. Zero - Waste and Ziad Abi Chaker of Cedar environment is the man is this field. I am very impressed by his work. And is his business is appealing to me.
Try tools from the sharing economy, tribal economy, solidarity economy, and local economic development (…) For example, we might have only one informal bank for the poor, in Egypt Brazil has types, shapes and colors of banks for the people.

For me the Open Village is

• Networks of spaces for people to stay, learn, experiment and innovate with like-minded curious individuals.
  • Homes for people who want to learn to live in a community and take responsibilities for some tasks to maintain the place livable and sustainable.
  • Innovation hubs to create and experiment new ways of living and working.
  • Incubators for businesses responsible for Earth’s natural systems while building economic growth.
  • Community centers that attract and connect with the wider link-minded, curious, creative, committed and compassionate individuals.
  • Ecosystem of resources, knowledge, talents, markets, and investment capable of turning innovation into real project.

Where I see myself in the Open Village?
A linker or pollinator moving between houses, bringing resources and letting others know of interesting happenings across the community. I would participate in the organization of events that bring together social entrepreneurs from the region and the world, and user innovators - ordinary people who are doing extraordinary things, like that priest of Nova Cintra Church who reused all the waste produced by the church’s restaurant including washing and rain water, or this group of illiterate daily workers who planted an urban garden in front of their buildings and and gifting organic vegetables with their neighbors - to inspire new people to start trying different ways for doing things. I would also participate in guiding new entrepreneurs till they start their businesses.

I can spend a couple of months in summer in Morocco and weeks during the years.

2 Likes

@Soyaheb I couldn’t agree more, especially after having just hung out with others who are building similar things (near Berlin). My language does not include “Stakeholders (I guess I am allergic to jargon), but surely the thinking does: who in the local area is doing things which can benefit from and align more our own version of the village.

re: Edgeryders Student Ambassadors: @zmorda you don’t need consensus or permission here to get started, if this is something you are passionate about, which suits your skills.

Sometime back in the days (about 5 years ago) a community member started Edgeryders Sweden- they would be doing workshops and meetups on topics the edgeryders global community were talking about, using our commons licensed branding materials, remixing content etc. That went on for a short while, then there is always the question of who’s interested enough to keep the lights on, or push it further.

2 Likes