Where to find workshops, training, reading material etc.

Hi @reeflings!

On behalf of @reef-governance and @reef-facilitation, I have added an overview document (here) to the ‘Learning, training, knowledge’ folder on Nextcloud. The idea is to provide information about where to find workshops, training, reading material etc. relating to the areas we are interested in as a group. To make things easier, the lists are subdivided into four areas:

• · Sociocracy
  • · Non-violent communication
  • · Facilitation
  • · Cohousing

There will no doubt be other areas (e.g. energy efficiency) added to this list as we move forward.

It is a working document, so I invite everyone to edit it, or make comments on it, as they see fit :slight_smile:

A few things to take note of or help with:

It would be good to have feedback and/or suggestions regarding essential and/or recommended training and reading for new Reeflings. I have indicated those considered essential with ** and those that are recommended with *. I’m pretty confidant with what I’ve done in the training section, but less so in the reading section, as I haven’t read all of the books and manuals that are currently accessible on Nextcloud.

The reading section is pretty much the same list as the books and manuals that are currently accessible in the Nextcloud subfolder, albeit subdivided into the four areas. There were two reasons why it felt right to include them in this document: firstly, to put everything in one place for new Reeflings, and secondly, to utilize the * system for them to be clear about what’s important to become familiar with.

There is a ton of resources regarding cohousing in the reading section, but not much in the training section, so feel free to add anything that you have come across.

Which brings me to the question of whether there should be more French, Dutch, etc. resources on the list? Although English is the working language of the group, it is not most people’s first language, so having resources on the list in other languages would increase the possibility of gaining expertise and add to our group intelligence. If people agree, then adding more courses and books in other languages would be a task for whoever speaks them and feels inspired to do so…

Finally, @reef-facilitation have discussed doing some training in order to evolve in this role, and as each team will utilise a facilitator for their team meetings, it seems likely that there are a few people who would also like to learn more in this regard. As you will see in this document, the Sociocracy for All website offers a 3 x 2-hour course in facilitation ($120) for 4–8 people. Let me know if you are interested in being a part of this, so that we can put a group together in the near future…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great stuff, thank you so much!

Question: have you considered to make it open source by publishing it on the forum here as a wiki?

I have created a file on this as part of the onboarding package (internal link). Happy to discuss to change the content!

This to me seems important and in some way even urgent. Can it be an option to start a separate post on this to get this going?

I don’t actually know what that means, but it sounds like a good thing to do :slight_smile: How does one publish something as a wiki? And would it be pretty much the same document, but without the Reef references?

I didn’t think to check in the Team Onboarding file, but I should have :confused: Clearly the two documents can coexist, with the essential and recommended reading aspect being in yours, and mine serving as more of an overview and ongoing collection of available resources. It wasn’t clear to me what the distinction was between sections 2 and 3 in the onboarding document, and I think there could either be a bit about training in there, or perhaps just a pointer to the overview document. Probably easier to discuss doing that either in person or on a call. You could come a little earlier to the raclette and we could talk about it then. Or let me know what works for you…

I’ll make a separate post for this tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

The way I understand it is like a Word document that can be edited by everybody, but it is started as a regular post on Edgeryders. @alberto can you please help with this?

Will do!

1 Like

good idea !

1 Like

It’s just regular publishing, then you go to the end of your post and find the three dots icon. Click it, some more icons appear. One of them is a wrench. You click that, and select “Make wiki”. From then on, people other than the author (if they have Edgeryders accounts) can edit the post. The forum keeps a full revision history, so that any change you do not like you can always revert, but in fact 100% of wiki edits are benevolent.

2 Likes

@alberto - If I’ve understood correctly, this would be an open document for the Edgeryders community, rather than just for the Reef community. In which case, should I edit the wiki document to remove the Reef-specific references in it (as in 'highly recommended for new Reeflings)?

@alberto , Also where do we find the wikis?

Wikis are just ordinary posts, with different editing permissions. For example, this is a wiki: Understanding and customizing notifications on The Reef's forum and Nextcloud instance

Notice that on the top, you have this icon:

Ah ok!
Thanks!

No need. Wiki is wiki: by definition you accept the possibility that random people edit it. But in practice, it almost never happens. We optimise for The Reef’s community.

1 Like