Witness in Sicily: where we are, what the residency will look like, and how to use it

@ivan @nadia @hugi it looks like Yudha might make it after all. Through knocking on various doors, he has an appointment to apply for his visa on Tuesday morning.

2 Likes

Fantastic news!
I am flying down on the 6th and Nadia a couple of days later.
As soon as we have the confirmation, @alberto and @yudhanjaya (also @michi1), let’s talk to organise the meeting with the schools day on the 7th.

@giacomo.pinaffo, with Alberto we thought of bringing you down the SciFi Economics Lab soft shell jackets (will find a photo eventually). How many of them should I bring and in which size? As a measure, an XL is rather big, not small

1 Like

My students and I are looking forward to see you soon!

2 Likes

We look forward to it too!

What size of jackets do you wear (and @marcolok also)?
We would love to bring you the SciFi Economics Lab jacket (more of a giubbino antivento/vela)

1 Like

Great! I wear M and think the same Marco, but I ask him.

1 Like

Hello guys,

our partners in Messina would like to know who is coming and when in particular.
Could you please all confirm the presence and provide the dates?

Let’s do this indeed. Do you think you could prepare a version in Italian also to involve the local partners (perhaps in one of the workshops, where we will probably have to find an afternoon slot though)?

@giacomo.pinaffo would it be possible to move our strategic meeting to 11 evening perhaps? @nadia is arriving only on the 11th.

The schedule of the workshops with the schools is like this:

FRIDAY 7 OCTOBER CINEMA APOLLO h 9.30/12.30

Meeting with the students from 3 Messina high schools hosted by FdCM, Edgeryders and Michela De Domenico present Witness, a short film by Marco Lo Curzio

MONDAY 10 OCTOBER h 9.30/12.30

Workshops in the schools curated by ER, tutored by FdC and the responsible teachers

THURSDAY 13 OCTOBER CINEMA APOLLO h 9.30/12.30

Final workshop with physical/online presence @yudhanjaya.

ping also @alberto @hugi @petussing

2 Likes

@ivan so the moment for the LARP is Monday Oct 10th? 9.30/12.30?
Happy to have the version in Italian, the only problem is that the game is not able to have a lot of attendants and I can facilitate only one of them, I think I need more information about the setting to understand how can we adapt it (it’s a giant room with tables? Can any table sit 7 people? How many people in attendance? etc…happy to jump on a call later this week to figure things out!

Sure, let’s talk about it. It isn’t mandatory to make it happen on the 10th.
Let’s chat Wednesday if you have some time

1 Like

I will be landing in Catania at 11:05 AM on October 8th. @ivan, do you have the address to the house?

Just got it from Alberto:

Villa Emy, Via Stefano Bottari, 98158

I’m thinking about renting an electric bike to get around. I found what looks like a pretty good offer here for a cross-country e-bike. Maybe others are thinking the same? Do you think there is any chance that they might be able to deliver some bikes to the house for us? Maybe someone who speaks Italian could call and ask?

I will start looking into local logistics once I get there, tomorrow evening.

1 Like

we could have our meeting on the 12th. From 9AM to 10.30AM and/or from 12.30 to lunch (included).

firme_email_GP3.png

1 Like

Regarding the meeting on the 7th with the schools, I am preparing a presentation on the genesis of Witness and its SF context, including a brief overview on the speculative fiction.

I think @alberto should have the center piece which focuses on the economic aspects - a short stroll through the history of economic thought, pehaps - and why Witness’ districts have their structure.
Also, a good point is what we are using it for. A part on the participatory processes and the “ethnography of Utopia” is going to look very nice here.

It would be great if @michi1 explained how she worked on the images, starting from scratch basically (if you don’t mention my poking you on the deadlines, I will be grateful).

I’m looking forward to see @marcolok’s video.

Is there something you would like us to explore in addition to this, @hugi, @nadia, @yudhanjaya ?

1 Like

I confirm you that I am working on a powerpoint presentation about the process that led me to create the graphic novel and the vision of fantastic cities. It will be ready for tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi guys,

can we confirm the meeting on the 12th? At what time would you prefer?

Best,

firme_email_GP3.png

As written earlier, we would be available from 9AM to 10.30AM and/or from 12.30 to lunch (included).

firme_email_GP3.png

Both work for us Giacomo, but maybe the lunch has a slight preference

Ok so 9am then. I suspect we would need both time slots as there is quite a bit to discuss

firme_email_GP3.png

I have been solidly defeated by the Italian Embassy in Colombo, which has locked me in a Kafkaesque loop that has now taken 9-10 hours of standing across 4 days outside various buildings in queues, and ultimately being turned away by security guards. We will try one more time if a particular request goes through. But if not, will join over Zoom.

Please let me know when I’m needed. Note that unscheduled power cuts are still a daily problem here - we’ve gone down from 8 hours of power cuts a day to 4 hours, so there may be times when I can only come on via audio.

2 Likes