Worldbuilding: Illustrations, sketches and images

Oh, wow, I have only now realised the term fatamorgana is related to the King Arthur and the Round Table arc. Is it a Norman heritage or did it reach Sicily in another manner?
When you spoke of it I thought it was only a phenomenon that occurs in Messina as it happens elsewhere. Now I like her even more :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure a Norman heritage! Another legend says that the Count Ruggero arrived with his army on the Calabria banks and, thanks by Morgana fairy, saw the Sicilian coast so close that he could understand the Arab army position and consequently moor his ships in a safe area. A mix between science and legend.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how far the Arthurian myths resonated. When I saw it I immediately thought it was the pre-Vulgate Arthurian Lady of the Lake (Ninain / Nimuë). Fatamorgana is Morgan le Fay / Morgaine from the same legends? Post-Vulgate texts sometimes gave Morgan the “Lady of the Lake” title.

3 Likes

Yes, the direct translation is “Fairy Morgana” or in French “Fée Morgane” (Morgane la Fée or le Fay in English transcription)

3 Likes

In fact, there are similarities, legends also speak the fairy Morgana arose from the waters of the Messina strait, where she have her castle, to offer her help to Count Ruggero.

3 Likes

Some reflections around esthetics/illustrations for the card game

For the witness and events cards I find film posters are a good inspiration, especially those of Laurent Durieux. The esthetics are good at drawing the eye to the key element of the story, while still conveying the broader context in an evocative way.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 10.40.27

It can also apply to individual notable persons/ personas, as the perspective can still leave enough to the imagination

2b1524c338bd57f1524c338bd13252v_

Collaboratively out what the key elements should be in the images can be a way to identify new entries into the cannon - in a social, fun way.

cc @yudhanjaya @MariaEuler @ivan

1 Like

I would like to adress the title of the game:

As I understand the final titel is not yet decided, correct?

I would like to bring up that maybe naming it just after “witness” the world might not be the ultimate option since the namerecognition of it is not yet very high and it does not connet directly to the mode or theme of the game.

I would like to open up the search for a name to the community to gather ideas and engagement that way.

Could I do a mini playful call for that?

Would describe the game a bit and ask people for their name suggestion and why and if we pick it in the end they will get a free game once it is in print?

:slight_smile:

dunno what @yudhanjaya thinks about that?

Or we just give 3 options and do a vote.

How about playing on these graphical political posters of different times, since you are playing policies?

This game might be a relevant reference in style and topic:

I think and hope we could do much better than reusing the trite propaganda images.

Honestly, I would strongly advise against using original political posters and references because they are misleading in a game like this and would require quite some effort to be converted and credible…

The same goes for the game - there is already plenty of characters and concepts in Witness that there is no need to tie them to any real world figures. Too many strings attached.

Was more refering to the aestetic, not to usi g the concrete caracters and posters, but fair enough I see your point.

The scifi setting gives us some freedom here that we should not sqander.

1 Like

Yes I think part of this is finding an aesthetic that is forward looking and not references to a past that may or may not resonate with people depending on where they are from. To me communist aesthetics are the murder of an entire generation of Ethiopian intellectuals.

This artwork got me thinking of Witness (2 links)
https://www.uu.nl/en/events/seeds-of-better-futures-festival-global-online-edition

There was also this thread Developing the Artwork for the Witness Card game - #2 by nadia

What about these visuals https://www.neom.com

Le Corbusier with solar panels. A mix of Kowloon walled city, Ville Radieuse and and that city folding scene from Inception?

When you think about it, living in this place is likely to look like this for the rich:

While more affordable options are likely to look more like this:

Forget the flashy mirror renderings, I want to know how the lower and middle classes of the supposedly 9 million would be living in this artifice.

Witness 1
Witness 2

Created with Midjourney, image creation with text from Witness.

1 Like

The first one is actually impressive :slight_smile: