Wellbeing in Europe / Sexuality in the Media

Dear @daniel and @alberto

I e-mailed Alberto about this yesterday but this is probably the better forum.

I found the Edgeryders platform really useful for my research and so recently started uploading a number of Russian newspaper articles to the ‘Sexuality in the media’ section of Well-being in Europe, which I then planned to analyse using Discourse. I created a user in the name of the Russian newspaper (Zavtra), as I did for the Polish, Czech and German newspapers in the original corpus. However, suddenly today the user name didn’t work and I was logged out of the portal. It now says that it doesn’t recognise the user name Zavtra. When I logged in which my own user name, i.e. Richard, I found that the Russian articles I had uploaded had been deleted.

Can someone help me with this? Does the system perhaps think that I am a Russian bot?

Thanks

Richard

I now can’t log in from home.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Richard, will have a look.

Yep, found it. Your user was deleted by @ivan: https://edgeryders.eu/admin/logs/staff_action_logs?filters={"action_name"%3A"delete_user"%2C"action_id"%3A1}

Maybe he thought it was a spammer, or he worried about violation of copyright (which, in fairness, is not so crazy).

I upped your trust level to 3, hopefully that will work to give you back access.

For restoring, it seems possible, but difficult: Exporting data to bring a user back - support - Discourse Meta. The site does have backups, and I can check that they contain your data: but we are unable to support you in restoring them.

I think I found your home IP among the blocked ones, and removed the block (probably caused by mistakenly labeling your Zavtra user as a spammer). That part should work now.

Hi,

It was indeed me.
Without having any prior info, finding a number of newspaper pieces bordering homophobia and conspiracy in Russian on the public part of the platform made me believe it was a spammer.

Sorry for the setback!

Dear Alberto and Ivan

Thank you for sorting this out for me so quickly. I’ll make sure to give you a heads-up if I upload more material that looks bot-like. :slight_smile:

I thought that the padlock sign next to Sexuality in the Media meant that it wasn’t public. If that’s not the case, can I make it private?

You don’t need to worry about restoring. There weren’t that many and I’ve re-uploaded them.

Have a good weekend!

1 Like

Dear Alberto and Ivan

As it’s a while since I used Open Ethnographer, I notice that you now need to ‘Select a project’. The options include all my previous tags but not the Russia-specific tags I created for the new batch. Are there any instructions you could point me to which explain how to create a new project and the relationship between the project selected and the subsequent graphs? If I want to create a general ‘Russian’ graph and also graphs for each theme (propaganda, trans, etc.), do I need to create multiple projects or can I use the tags to select a specific subset of codes?

Thank you in advance!

Richard

Hi Richard, I think @Nica and @pykoe will be able to give you a direct answer to this (@alberto too of course), as they are the ones currently working on the OpenEthnographer and the graphs

Thanks, Ivan!

Hello, @Nica. Давно не виделись! Any chance you’d have some time tomorrow (28.03) for a quick chat about the new Open Ethnographer features? I’m going to a conference at Columbia on 10 April and am hoping to create some graphs on Russian homophobia and transphobia in right-wing Russian media but OE has changed a bit since I last used it. I’m free all day apart from 13.00-14.00 GMT.

Best wishes

Richard

1 Like

I think the tags still work. Problem with that is merging or renaming a tag used by someone else.

My recommendation is to create a project first, then use the functionalities Move to project or Copy to project to assign codes to it (see here).

• If you are certain that only you are using those codes in Russian, then you can move them to your project.
  • If you doubt that others might be using them, then copy them into your project instead.
1 Like

Hi Richard! Apologies for the delayed response. I don’t know how much help I would be, though, as we just ran into lots of technical issues with OE for the TREASURE project, specifically around the relationship between the projects/codes corpuses and the graphs, so I feel a little shaky with it (and also have been using it just for coding within TREASURE so that was a pre-existing corpus with pre-existing tags, so I have not made anything new). For technical questions @owen would be a better bet if @alberto didn’t answer your question below.

What is the conference at Columbia? Is it something the Harriman Institute is putting on? If you have time maybe we can get coffee while you are in NYC!

1 Like

Спасибо, @Nica! Grazie, @alberto! Following your advvice, I’ll create a separate project for one of the sub-themes of my Russia project (on trans issues) and copy the codes from ethno-poprebel-sexuality, as per the instructions in the link. Once I have then coded all the articles for this sub-project, I may bother you again about how to produce a graph for this sub-project and, eventually, one that merges all three sub-projects into a general Russia project. But I’ll leave you alone until after the holidays!

Yes, the conference will be held at the Harriman on 11-13 April. I’ll be presenting on 12 or 13 April. The link is here. It would be great to meet up!

1 Like

@Richard do you read Russian? This is totally unrelated to OE, but I am a co-editor for a journal, Laboratorium, where we are right now trying to find a peer reviewer for a Russian-language article dealing with trans activism in Russia…Might you be available / willing to do that?

I’d be happy to help - as long as you don’t need a super fast turnaround.

1 Like

Спасибо! :slight_smile:

Not super fast, no! Thank you so much, you will hear from our managing editor, Oksana. (Also, if you are looking for a journal to publish this presentation in article format, please keep us in mind! We publish both in English and in Russian, we are open access, and we don’t charge authors APCs – our open access is supported by grants).

1 Like