#2 What did we discuss during the Covid19 Community Response Call #2 & What will we do next? (6th of April)

This thread is where we are collecting and structuring our notes from the group video chat. It is a collective notepad, so please add your own notes if you took them or see that something important is missing.

Participants:

@MariaEuler , @johncoate , @nadia, @noemi, @msanti, @manuelpueyo, @lylycarrillo

Check-in:

We started uf the call with “reactivated” Edgeryder Massimo recounting his initial contact with Edgeryders in 2013 and everyone sharing their current national and personal reaction to the corona crisis and the measures against it.

Status Update:

Edgeryders currently is working to provide 3 impact lines:

1. “Therapy”: Helping people to feel better and reevaluate their situation. Community calls like “How to cope with loss of work” and conversation threads like “This made me think…”)
  2. “Connection”: Connecting people and projects to empower the creators to realise their projects and avoid the waste of resources. This also includes help with finding and applying to funding or creating crowdfunding campaigns.
  3. “Learning”: Looking back at reactions to previous crissi and learning from the current crisis and people’s responses for future developments.

Proposals for next steps:

Create meaningful webinars/conversation rounds to address points 1-3.

ABOUT The Webinars:

• Here people can propose webinars: Webinar & Community Call Schedule: Proposals/Wishlist
  • We have our own self-hosted video rooms (now.edgeryders)
  • We can do webinars that have restricted chat access:
  • Two levels of participation: Some people can just listen in, who have been there before can join into the conversation.
  • One version: Prefilm webinar and have the person who did the webinar aktive in the chat to directly answer questions
  • Crowdfunding: for conversations you get your question featured in the chat
  • Signup Forms: https://register.edgeryders.eu/ helps info, call quality, consent and follow up
  • Webkit: We can quickly put together minisites around specific themes that pick up content from the platform by taggs. Example: https://work.edgeryders.eu/

Our resources:

• We can set up such a minisite around topics like for a recurring webinar
  • Community management
  • Outreach

Concrete ACTION POINT from the call:

Making one call for mapmakers. Align mapping initiatives before we double the learning and efforts in mapping as well.
Ask and answer: Who is doing mapping attempts? How are they doing it? What is working well - what is not working well?

We want to set up a call focusing on mapping in 3 weeks time:

Proposed date: 04/05/2020 MAY the 4TH be with you: Mapping our way through the universe

Please comment below with projects and speakers we should connect to for this or your examples of good or bad coordination!

What else is being developed:

An app that connects apps like telegram and WhatsApp with an edgeryders chatbot that creates an account and posts for you on the platform. This way people can easily forward good posts. But it is still experimental.

Context for the proposed actions:

Massimo and Liliana as well as many community and team members kept stressing the issue of parallel developments and a lack of coordination.

Massimo described a very concrete example where he had had a call with @mstn and another developer to discuss potential collaboration as their developments were similar. Massimo started being interested and available to help to conduct interviews and start the development of a process and/or tool for coordinating projects.

Liliana added that she also sees many local efforts not being properly connected and that she sees the main need in some type of mapping for projects. She invited Massimo to join the telegram of @RobvanKranenburg Disposable Identity projects as she sees the conversations and interviews already happening there as good case studies.

The findings of the conversation:

• The problems: The other developers do not want to collaborate further and data regulations also complicates the next step and them sharing their data.
  • There are two approaches: developing something that works as fast as possible and is open and dealing directly with the proper data restrictions was difficult, so people worked with systems of potentially questionable data.
  • Conducting and analysing interviews and case studies are necessary.

We need everyone’s inputs into what is going on, what initiatives people are already working on - and how we can support efforts to cope with the COVID29 crisis.

Let’s map this clusterfu* together!

What do you think about the above? Share your thoughts in a comment below!

3 Likes

With regards to connection, I think of mapping as having several types or levels:

1. Maps that connect people - this use case is satisfied to a certain extent by platforms with a social components like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Edgeryders even if you are not able to view the map. Some other platforms like Now What?!

These are useful as they give us a starting point for a conversation and help us understand pathways of trust to others. But the “people map” does not do a great job of supporting collaboration because the profiles of the connected individuals do not provide sufficient information to understand what someone is working on.
  2. Maps that connect projects - I agree with Liliana that vaping between projects is very important. They give us view into what projects are working on which is essential if we want to collaborate, coordinate, and reduce duplication of effort. The “project map” helps us find aligned projects, but they may not provide sufficient still requires us a “cold” call or email to the people involved, which may or may not be on the map. To make project maps most useful, the profile could include things like the specifics of what is being worked on (background, methods, hypothesis), what is needed, what is offered, and how they would like to collaborate with other projects or how to get involved.
  3. Maps that connect concepts (offline) - these are commonly called mind maps. A mind map is a diagram used to visually organize information and can be siloed to the individual or worked on in a group. These types of maps are helpful for understanding concepts and ideas.
  4. Maps that connect ideas, information, and context (online) - This does not really exist except as far as I know in the bridgit.io alpha. We call it a “Collective Knowledge map” but would be more accurate to say that it is an interactive, self generating collective online knowledge map. The beautiful thing about this notion is that for the first time it actually enables us to think and learn together online. We think of the possibility of planetary cognition - participants create bridges between two content snippets with a relationship thus externalizing the relationships in their mind as reflected by connections between ideas they find online. The map being collective means that all participants use the same map; individuals can specify privacy for what they post (e.g., private, a specific group, public).
    This creates the possibility of a) ubiquitous context - access to deep layers of context for any idea on the web, b) on-page presence - know and interact with others within the researcher community while on the same web page, c) democratized linking - Anyone can create deep links from/to any page, and d) Bridgit apps - organizations can expose their information and interactions on any relevant web page.
    This creates the possibility of people collaborating on knowledge building with coordination, but also enables the possibility of connecting “in-context” on the web page or “out-of-context” via email or direct message with people who are working with or reviewing the same information. Duplication of knowledge building efforts can be eliminated within a community that shares information and builds knowledge collectively. A solution like this requires a browser overlay which can be implemented via a browser extension, a web app, and/or a mobile app.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for the mapping conversation. I am happy to participate.

3 Likes

Hello maria, hello everyone, for a mapping project we did a couple of years ago in brussels we have collected an excel list of mappers. maybe you find someone interesting there, you would like to invite. cheers

2 Likes

As a next step in the work done in the World Health Organization’s Infodemic Management consultation, the Covid19 InfoImmunity project is organizing the first design challenge to respond to the Infodemic. The Covid19 Infodemic Design Challenge is a five-day, entirely online collaborative design challenge from Thursday May 7th to Monday May 11th.

@nadia We would be excited if Edgeryders (or the group of folks on this thread) wanted to be part of the organizing team or a partner.

Also, we are doing a Coronavirus hackathon this weekend and welcome any that want to join the Covid19 InfoImmunity team. Email me at daveed@bridgit.io

1 Like

Sounds good. I would be interested in contributing maybe something to “simplify knowledge”, but I am not sure how the time commitment is to be understood. It starts on the 7th in the afternoon and ends in the afternoon on the 11th. Would one have to subscribe to be at there quasi full-time or could one say commit 2 hours per day in that timeframe? (There are already other projects in that time I also have to tend to, as for many others as well)

It is meant to be a team effort, whereby people contribute however works out for the team to complete a design. While some people may work quasi-full time or more, others may make a significant contribution in a shorter amount of time.
We will match people to teams if they do not have one.

1 Like

Hi all, I have had some challenging weeks again, co-writing 2 Erasmus+ proposals and a local proposal for a Belgian grant.

I have ‘joined’ the call of today as I had it in my agenda but I did not see anyone in Zoom. Are these calls talking place yet?

Cheers,
Liliana.

@lylycarrillo, we had to leave zoom. I will send you a privat message with a link to our new tool

Hi Daveed, how is this going? How can I be of any support?

Announcement:

We had to pause all public Edgeryders calls for the moment to sort out an alternative option to Zoom and ensure the reliability and security of that tool. We are doing this due to recent reports about Zoom’s data breaches in security and innappropriate behavior as well as due to a recent direct experience of a “zoombomb” attack at one of our community calls.

We will update here and in individual post regarding the topic as soon as we can.

Update:

We now can ensure safe calls with rsvp lists. For the calls that is enables for a link is posted for the connected post. State your interest to join ahead of time in that post and we will add you to the list so you can join via the specific edgeryders call link.

Hello Dear Community,

this post is a wiki which we will be continuously updating and pin to gather and inform about all ongoing community calls.

Weekly calls

1. Weekly Covid2019 Community response Call; Every Monday 17:00 CEST
    While we are forced to keep a physical distance to each other we want to come together regularly to discuss our and your challenges, plans and responses.
    As the Edgeryders team, we want to find ways to help our community and beyond to get through this crisis.

for today the links are only provided via direct message if interest is anouced

1 Like

Hi @lylycarrillo

Would love to have you present an expert session on collective intelligence in the covid and post-civid contexts for the Infodemic Design Challenge.

Also help with recruiting judges and other experts to speak on misinformation, sense making, and other topics germane to responding to the Infodemic.

1 Like

Hi @daveed, perfect! This is a very concrete contribution in which I am happy to participate. How long should this presentation be? who is the audience? when exactly do you want me to present it?

I have another possible speaker. Michel Bauwens has been ‘mapping’ and supporting people to get together around covid initiatives, also a solidarity movement in Portugal has grown incredible and Stela can also speak about it. Let me know if contacting them is fine, and let me also know some details on timing to be more concrete with them.

Cheers,
Liliana.

2 Likes

Hi Maria, I am not sure if this initiative is going on. If not, let’s try to join our efforts on supporting @daveed 's initiative. How do you see that?

not currently @lylycarrillo , we need some topical stewards for this. If you and/or @daveed, for example, would be available to be that I would help you with scheduling and fine-tuning for the platform.

Going in this direction, I would love to share what I have been doing in this ‘crisis’. Could we set up the webinar in that direction? and also talk about activities that are going on in the covid community?

I have not heard from @daveed yet

Are there notes from our 28th April call?

Hi Liliana

The presentation would be a one hour. The audience will be people and teams participating the challenge, who are building solutions to the Infodemic. The talks will be next weekend in the late afternoon or evening your time. In terms of timing, we are putting together a Google Sheet that enables expert speakers to select the timing they want and to provide several sentences about there talk.

Yes, please reach out to Michael and Stela. Thanks

Hi Maria,
I am available :slight_smile:

@MariaEuler

Let’s start on the 11th of May with the first impact line of work:
“Therapy”: Helping people to feel better and reevaluate their situation. Community calls like “How to cope with loss of work” and conversation threads like “This made me think…”)

Format: Open Dialog
Facilitator: Liliana
Method: Create a Community/Solidarity board on ‘therapy’ topics.

1 Like