This thread is where we are collecting and structuring our notes from the group video chat. It is a collective notepad, so please add your own notes if you took them or see that something important is missing.
We started uf the call with “reactivated” Edgeryder Massimo recounting his initial contact with Edgeryders in 2013 and everyone sharing their current national and personal reaction to the corona crisis and the measures against it.
Edgeryders currently is working to provide 3 impact lines:
- “Therapy”: Helping people to feel better and reevaluate their situation. Community calls like “How to cope with loss of work” and conversation threads like “This made me think…”)
- “Connection”: Connecting people and projects to empower the creators to realise their projects and avoid the waste of resources. This also includes help with finding and applying to funding or creating crowdfunding campaigns.
- “Learning”: Looking back at reactions to previous crissi and learning from the current crisis and people’s responses for future developments.
Proposals for next steps:
Create meaningful webinars/conversation rounds to address points 1-3.
ABOUT The Webinars:
- Here people can propose webinars: Webinar & Community Call Schedule: Proposals/Wishlist
- We have our own self-hosted video rooms (now.edgeryders)
- We can do webinars that have restricted chat access:
- Two levels of participation: Some people can just listen in, who have been there before can join into the conversation.
- One version: Prefilm webinar and have the person who did the webinar aktive in the chat to directly answer questions
- Crowdfunding: for conversations you get your question featured in the chat
- Signup Forms: https://register.edgeryders.eu/ helps info, call quality, consent and follow up
- Webkit: We can quickly put together minisites around specific themes that pick up content from the platform by taggs. Example: https://work.edgeryders.eu/
- We can set up such a minisite around topics like for a recurring webinar
- Community management
Concrete ACTION POINT from the call:
Making one call for mapmakers. Align mapping initiatives before we double the learning and efforts in mapping as well.
Ask and answer: Who is doing mapping attempts? How are they doing it? What is working well - what is not working well?
We want to set up a call focusing on mapping in 3 weeks time:
Proposed date: 04/05/2020 MAY the 4TH be with you: Mapping our way through the universe
Please comment below with projects and speakers we should connect to for this or your examples of good or bad coordination!
What else is being developed:
An app that connects apps like telegram and WhatsApp with an edgeryders chatbot that creates an account and posts for you on the platform. This way people can easily forward good posts. But it is still experimental.
Context for the proposed actions:
Massimo and Liliana as well as many community and team members kept stressing the issue of parallel developments and a lack of coordination.
Massimo described a very concrete example where he had had a call with @mstn and another developer to discuss potential collaboration as their developments were similar. Massimo started being interested and available to help to conduct interviews and start the development of a process and/or tool for coordinating projects.
Liliana added that she also sees many local efforts not being properly connected and that she sees the main need in some type of mapping for projects. She invited Massimo to join the telegram of @RobvanKranenburg Disposable Identity projects as she sees the conversations and interviews already happening there as good case studies.
The findings of the conversation:
- The problems: The other developers do not want to collaborate further and data regulations also complicates the next step and them sharing their data.
- There are two approaches: developing something that works as fast as possible and is open and dealing directly with the proper data restrictions was difficult, so people worked with systems of potentially questionable data.
- Conducting and analysing interviews and case studies are necessary.
We need everyone’s inputs into what is going on, what initiatives people are already working on - and how we can support efforts to cope with the COVID29 crisis.
Let’s map this clusterfu* together!