2020 Videos

I absolutely love it. Zero complaints of any sort about you appearing there - you say what needs to be said, with infectious enthusiasm. The music is a very nice background without cutting over the speech. The train footage right at the start is evocative, fits the Migrant Train concept perfectly.

Only a few of things I’d ask for:

1. Could you introduce a color filter across the video, to balance out the $diffs in lighting and give it a more sci-fi feel?

2. Could you add the locations of people beneath their name title cards? It would be a subtle way of showing how international and distributed this project is.

3. Could you change my title to ‘SFF author, researcher, Worldbuilder’? ‘Nebula award nominee’ sounds nice but it seems to come at cost of a certain amount of crassness when introducing one self and appearing unaffiliated to the project.

2 Likes

Wow @Joriam! This video is great and exactly what we need. Fantastic, great work. You rock, my friend. <3

I especially loved this detail:

“Arm please” … “Arm please” … “Appendage please” … “Arm please”

Subtle and funny.

I think it’s actually a strength of the video that it feels both very futuristic and very real. A more sci-fi filter would make it more … well, fantastical.

I agree with this.

I also agree with this.

My only reservation is that it is only males in there…I’d be a bit put off by that were I not already involved, and that might skew things even further in that direction?

Would it be possible to incorporate a snippet from you? Perhaps overriding existing dialogue so as to preserve the structure and timings as per Joriam’s req?

could do.- what do you think @Joriam?

Lovely to hear the first responses! :alien: :sparkling_heart:

I’m gathering the changes for now and I’ll apply them tomorrow. Here’s what I got up until this point

• Add EIT Climate KIC logo at the beginning
  • Change Yudha’s tag
  • Add locations to tags
  • [tentative] colder filter (I’m gonna experiment with this, see if I can add something nice and quick)

@IvanC I bet there’s a ‘how many seconds’ guideline here. Any orientation?

@yudhanjaya I just did a quick experimentation here on photoshop and I think two categories look more aesthetically pleasant than three. How about “SFF author, data scientist”? Also, I know SFF is more precisa than SciFi, but SciFi is more relevant to the project — sure you wanna keep SFF?

2 Likes

I do agree and I did try to nudge you to show up in the video before :broken_heart: but as I know this is very nerve wracking to a lot of people, I didn’t insist much.

I can try, but I won’t promise. Folks, it’s not a 5min job, it requires audio fine tuning, a lot of editing back and fourth etc etc. That being said, I’ll go the extra mile to add you, I do think this is important. One thing I can definitely promise is: if I can’t get this ready for Monday, I can get it ready later.

What would help me is if you took some of my bits and said very similar things, as many of those were myself ‘filling those gaps’ I created when I poorly briefed Alberto and Yudha. Also please follow the same recording rules I originally posted (I really think it need nothing but a decent phone, an iphone5 would do the trick).

How about that? Be one with the nexus, Nadia. Join the hivemind.

4 Likes

don’t worry about it- people will show up at the event and we will deal with it moving forward - ok?

the video is super and I know how much work goes into this plus it’s last minute <3

I’d still like to try, Nadia! Sometimes it takes a lot of work, sometimes just a little.

I’m just trying to be very rigorous with what I promise. If I do promise, I’ll do whatever it takes to finish the thing, even if unpleasant/unhealthy.

But if I don’t promise, I can get your videos, give it a shot with a glass of wine in hand and see if I can make it work. It’s a different posture!

If you have the time, I’d encourage you to record it! And worst case scenario, I’ll just use the same recording later on in December, so also no effort lost.

Make it ‘SciFi author’ then, but do keep the Worldbuilder. EOD it’s still less words than the original text.

Ok, will do tomorrow

Sorry Joriam, I se now I had not answered.
Just give it a couple of seconds so no one can object it could not be seen.

Alright, so here’s the video we’re going to use tomorrow, folken!
Practically the same as before, just with a couple of additions.

@IvanC what I’d recommend is for you to upload it before the webinar and mark the video as unlisted, then as soon as the webinar is over, just click to turn it public — just so people can immediately share it if they want to. It’s a one button change :slight_smile: if you’re unfamiliar with the platform, I can show you where it is!

Also please check if the intro works for logo purposes. I saw what you did with the other video and thought it looked better if I added the 4 logos instead of just the one, but if you need me to use just the Climate logo, I can do it pretty quickly tomorrow morning.

@MariaEuler if I’m not mistaken it’s you who’s going to share your screen with the video, right? Just confirming.

@nadia I’m not sure how subtitles work, but since I added 4 new seconds at the beginning of the video, your subs might be awfully delayed now. Is it an easy process to generate new ones?

3 Likes

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yphk3owUQ&feature=youtu.be
vimeo: https://vimeo.com/488008406

still need to make them public. did you have a nice thumbnail in mind?

My sound quality is not perfect, so it might be better if someone else shares the screen with the video who does not has that issue. But I think I might have found a way to work around this. Late’s do a quick test before the call. We should open the call room 30 min early either way for the team to join and get everything checked and ready.

2 Likes

Thanks for this Joriam, couldnt make it this weekend Im afraid but will be more present after…Looking forward to this evening

@IvanC and @Joriam, the video will be public after the event correct?

In that case could you give me a public link so I can include it in places for sharing directly after the event? Like the map and the feedback form?

ok, the links are up there and will be rendered public after the event. I guess if you cannot open it is because of that

You’re not giving the right link, @IvanC! That’s the studio link.

Here’s where you’ll find what we need:

If we give this link, then the slug doesn’t change — we can already link it to all our media and whenever we change the status to public, it will all be set from the getgo!

In theory, whoever is sharing would use that zoom option to share the computer sound, thus not needing any speakers/headphone quality. We can make it work during our prep :slight_smile: