A page to find the opencare content for ethno coding

I have built this page:

https://edgeryders.eu/en/opencare-explorer

It’s meant as a simple way for @Amelia to find all and only opencare-related content on Edgeryders. The idea is:

1. Visit the link above
  2. Select a thread for coding
  3. Click on its link to navigate to the page hosting the thread
  4. Use Open Ethnographer to code the content. 

Some customization is possible. Amelia, let me know if you want changes.

Add a link to the manual

Is this a good place to gather information around OE? A link to the manual? Listing all of Dan’s answers to our questions, etc. Exchanges with Amelia on OE and how we can improve on it?

Open Ethnographer issue

@Alberto @melancon @danohu

Problem---- I can code posts but Open Ethnographer does not give me the option to tag when I highlight comments. (aka it is working for posts but not working at all for comments)

Secondly---- how do we deal with links to external sources, where there is a rich article that has been linked to but no real written content on the article in the post?

First problem is technical, second is just a question of missing out some information. I’m thinking for the second that I will read the article and tag the post itself with some of the themes, but obviously there will not be a way to link back to the exact text in the linked article, only the post with the link in it.

2 Likes

Uh-oh

Thanks @Amelia .

For the second issue, you are right, it’s methodological. Make a call and document your choice in a methodological wiki (to evolve as we go, I imagine).

The first issue is serious. We need to get Dan’s opinion ASAP, and someone (either Dan himself or @melancon and Jason) needs to fix it, fast.

/Challenge response/ comments vs. comments to other node types

Ok, so: OpenEthnographer works as expected on comments in groups, i.e. to comments to nodes of type post, wiki etc.

However, it does not work on comments to nodes of type challenge response.

@Amelia : start by coding threads in the groups – there are many of them, about 120 of the present 220 Drupal nodes in the opencare conversation are not challenge responses.

Ccing @danohu and @Matthias

This is simple to fix

It will be due to the JQuery selector which finds only regular comments, not those of our new content type “Challenge Response”.

Does @danohu want to fix this one?

1 Like

Great

Yes, I imagined something like this. Good.

Fixes

Hi all,

I’ve been working on the coding, and I have quite a few things that would make my life a lot easier.

First of all, @Alberto , while it is still not possible for me to code any of the challenge problems, can we create a way of filtering out challenge problem posts on the explorer? This will help me find the threads in the groups more easily (and, by the way— is there an easy way of getting to these organically? It is challenging to find non-challenge problem Open Care contributions from the main Open Care page).

Some things to enable/change on Open Ethnographer that I would find useful (and I am happy to have another call about this as I know there are quite a few things here):

• ability to tag one entry with multiple tags without having to exit bubble. Right now I type in the tag, hit save, and then must re-highlight that text in order to tag it again.

• minor, but for speed: cursor to begin on tag, not on comment (tags are used much more frequently, so additionally flipping the location of “tag” and “comment” would be helpful too)

• make bubble/window disappear (the coding one) for higher level tags (e.g. “case studies”). I find it useful to be able to categorize different kinds of information (so, tagging something as a “case study/example” or a “research question” vs descriptive tags like “health and art” or “mental health”). Some of the higher level tags cover significantly more text (like highlighting an entire “case study”) which causes the tag window to automatically pop up when I try to go back in and code smaller sections of already coded text. This makes it hard to use.

• ability to tag a whole post  to better categorise posts (e.g. “health and art”). This is related to the previous note. Many of the posts have larger overarching themes that run through entire post (same with comments) so it would be helpful to have the functionality to tag the whole post and not just snippets of text. If the above problem were fixed I could just highlight the entire thing, but that would create a lot of clutter when viewing the text content of tags in a different view.

• Separation of Inga’s tags from mine so I can properly edit my tags. This is something I brought up in the call, but it is really important to be able to easily change a tag after use (for example, after tagging several posts as “getting outdoors” it became clear that “location-based” or “place-based” was the better phrase to use for the tag.) Additionally, it would be very useful to have an easy way to edit the tags’ phrasing without going to the hierarchy page, but if that isn’t possible it’s okay as long as I can see the Open Care tags without seeing the ones from other projects.

• Finally, what Guy discussed at the meeting would be useful — it would be VERY helpful to have a visual hierarchy of tags that I could edit by dragging and dropping tags. I realize this is a more difficult ask than the above, but some tags are qualitatively different than other kinds of tags and being able to reflect this would be useful.

1 Like

Fixes Cont.

Firstly---- some of my tags are dissapearing, so that even though the tags exist and are saved, the suggestive search does not suggest them (but only sometimes). This is making the coding a bit difficult, as it is inconsistent. I’m not sure why this is happening, as those same tags that are not appearing in one case appear again later. (e.g. When I highlight a section of text and go to code it “resource strain,” despite having used that tag multiple times it does not appear as an option when I start typing it in to the entry field. Other suggestions do appear). The problem is that as this gets more complex, if some codes are missing I will not be able to tell and it will mean double-coding data, which is bad news.

• It would be helpful to make the suggestive text non-case sensitive (so when I type “DIY,” “diy” still comes up, or if I type a capital “R” “resource strain” will still appear as an option.)

• Finally, an easy way to delete tags on a particular post. Right now if I highlight a post and tag it “resource strain” and then decide upon rereading that section that I don’t want to use that tag anymore, there does not seem to be option to simply x out or delete the tag then and there.

Thanks!

Let’s do it

Thanks for all this, @Amelia . @melancon , do you think Jason could start implementing the fixes requested by Amelia? This is now getting urgent.

Priority-- Enabling coding on Challenge Responses

If I had to give a number one priority, I would still prioritise enabling coding on the challenge responses. Although there are some non-challenge response nodes, having coded many of them it really does seem to me like the challenge responses are the bread and butter (please correct me if I am wrong).

On it

I am pinging @danohu and @melancon on all channels. :slight_smile:

deletions

Hi all, ( @Alberto , @danohu , @ melancon )

I am encountering another pretty serious issue. I am realising now that I am revisiting posts that I have already coded yesterday and today that about 1/2 of the codes (the ones further down in the post, and thus the ones that I did later) are just completely gone. It seems that if I leave a page too soon after having coded it, OE does not catch up and does not save.

As you might imagine, this is really frustrating… I don’t know whether to go back and re-code (because, as you know, duplicating work that might get deleted again is painful) or even how to proceed to code new posts with the knowledge that perhaps the work will be pointless as it might be deleted.

Any idea why this might be happening?

I can’t reproduce it…

I can’t reproduce this behaviour. And no, I do not understand: OE has its own “Save” button. Saving is not time-dependent.

I made on the fly something you might find useful: a page that lists annotations in reverse chronological order. It’s made by DB query, so it should not miss anything that is in there. Check it out, please, and double check that the annotations really are gone. Maybe they are simply hidden by the interface. The page:

https://edgeryders.eu/en/openethnographer-annotations-explorer

But, loading is SLOW

What I could reproduce is this:

1. Write an  annotation and Save.
  2. Navigate somewhere else.
  3. Navigate back to the page with the annotation. 

The annotation appears to be gone! The pale yellow highlighting is not there anymore.

But this is only an artefact of this issue. In fact, the whole screen “freezes” (you notice if you try to do something else, like scrolling with the mouse wheel); when it unfreezes, the highligting reappears. And of course, my annotation explorer page above still shows the annotation, safely stored in the database.

You are right

Whew, you are right @Alberto , it is the issue you mention in your second post (the disappearing highlights) that freaked me out. I should have taken more time before sending the frantic message, apologies! I have of course been hitting the “save” button.

It is definitely slow going, but the annotations are indeed still there. Keeping on keeping on.

Tag Name Column Request

@Alberto @melancon

In lieu of a drag and drop page with codes/a way to quickly rename/merge/fork codes, I have a request. The page which lists all the codes lists them by tag ID, not by name (e.g. 2874 is “working with existing institutions”). To see the code itself, I must click on the tag ID. Is there a way to add a column titled “Tag Name” that lists the code name itself? Otherwise cleaning up is going to take a long time (unless I am looking in the wrong place for where to rename and organize codes, in which case please let me know!). I’ve been doing it on my own machine using a program that lets me visualize it all, but I need to now begin to translate it into open ethnographer.  Thank you!

1 Like

Also in Excel

I also have all this data in excel — one sheet for categorization/hierarchies, one for replace/merge/fork. If that helps at all.

Two quick fixes

Not immediately clear to me how to change the admin display, though I know it can be done. However, here are two things that I can definitely do myself:

1. If you hover over the tag ID (without clicking) and look to the bottom right of your browser window, you will see that the browser previews for you the URL that you would call by clicking on that link. That translates into URLs like "https://edgeryders.eu/en/open-ethnographer/jargon" (for the tag ID 963) where "jargon" is obviously the tag's name. If this is all you need, it's already up and running.
  2. Or I could build a quick "conversion table": that would be a view that you would access from a page with its own URL. It would contain simply the tag IDs and the tag names. 

I might even be able to rebuild the whole page (https://edgeryders.eu/en/admin/content/annotation) elsewhere, adding the column I want, but I am not 100% sure.

Conversion table would be great

There are a lot of tags, so being able to control F and find them is important (hovering over each, while it is definitely one step faster than clicking, is not quickly searchable when I am looking for specific tags). Thank you!