Bern User Forum 2023 Transcripts - 08MAT

So my name is Jos. I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I am going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind later and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information. What is your name? And you agree?

Yes, I agree. My name is Mathias Meyer.

Thank you very much. Can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Well, using materials in cycles, you know, not taking virgin material to replace it, but use it as long as possible. Um, this applies for minerals, metals, but also for for biological material.

Thank you. How did you become interested in the circular economy, ideas and practices?

Well, I’m, I’m a lecturer in sustainable food systems and I’m, you know, I deal with sustainability issues. And of course, in this context, circular material use is, is a is an important strategy.

How long since what time?

More than ten years.

Wow. In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Sure. But I think it it needs also, you know, broader solutions where where as as there are synergies between different sectors.

And I think it’s probably you get further if you actually plan this systemically over over several sectors as maybe a certain material stream cannot be used in a sector anymore but in another one. So I think there there is more potential or more options if we if we think this over multi sector solutions.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in, for example, car industry?

I think for I mean for some some kind of materials like like the, the metals and in case of electric cars, it’s an issue with the batteries, of course. And to some extent, yes, it does. But I think there’s still room for improvement. Um

Do you currently own a car?

Yes.

Which kind of car?

It’s a, you know, the brand. Or do you mean the brand.

which kind

It’s a normal car and it’s a diesel engine. It’s a diesel still. Yeah. I’m looking for an electric car, but not so far yet.

When is the one adjective that comes to mind when you think about car electronics in the car?