Cairo Workshop June 4

Facebook event

we can use this Cover for the Facebook event, if we want change anything, it’s possible

@trythis I used your design (Future Makers)

@Nadia I used STF’s image as background cover-FM-2.png

2 Likes

Lookin good

Perhaps you want to “calm” the “workshop 4th Thur. June” part down a little by toning down the light elements/shadows in that part of the logo. But that’s only a suggestion I have after reading it on my little notebook screen. It may be just fine in print. Try moving it a little to the right though - so that the corners of the UNDP logo and the top left of “workshop” do not “touch” so strongly.

I like the robot arm! Another tiny detail I thought, while writing this, is to see if it matches the UNDP shade of blue? And perhaps have it “come from out of the frame”. I.e. remover the blueish base and add another chain link segment for it.

1 Like

thanks

Thanks @trythis and i’m working on your suggestions

1 Like

@Alberto The wiki is great. I will translate it to Arabic, and update the FB as soon as I’m admin. By Tonight.

Time:I suggest we start open the door at 3pm and start at 4pm. I assume the event to take 5h, so we continue up till 9pm. It is customary for working people to leave work early Thursday, which plays in our favour.

I’m getting into contact with some projects, and will try to share projects here asap.

@Matthias I second Nadia, perhaps that spreadsheet matrix could be put to use in our workshop?

1 Like

@Hegazy when you translate it to Arabic, i will review it

I suggest we start at 4 pm, too

Warning, everybody: we may need to make substantial changes to the workshop, as we moved too fast and we did not involve UNDP and UNV closely enough. Working on it.

@trythis Done, I wish i understood your suggestions.

@Nadia if we want change anything, it’s possible and when event’s time determined, i can add it.

1 Like

Perfect

It seems you understood what I meant - this looks very nice!

1 Like

It is my understanding that we are trying to organise two things for the visit to Cairo: 1 or 2 Field-trips to interesting projects and inviting 4 or 5 Projects to the workshop on June 4th. Please confirm if that is correct.

@Alberto @Nadia So i compiled a small list of projects/organisations I deem interesting, i put them here for community approval prior to reaching out. To not draw things into length, shall we say I start contacting project leaders by 2pm CEST Wednesday?

1. Cairo Institute of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CILAS), as mentioned before in the Case Studies. Very interesting learning establishment, and located in the heart of islamic cairo.

1. Terous, an NGO who’s raison-d-être is -wait for it- to foster a network of collaboration between the Egypt’s NGO, Government and private sectors.

3. Education Square, a community which fosters a network of collaboration between all NGO and individual actors in Egypt interested in Education

4. Mushtarak, a space for social activists to work with software technology

@Hazem @monarezk @SamarAli @Elghamry

What other suggestions do you have?

@SamarAli has mentioned previously 5. FabLab Cairo. Do you have their contact information, so we can reach out to them?

@Hazem had mentioned 6. Cairo Hackerspace. Do you have their contact information, so we can reach out to them?  

cairo hackerspace is informed

cairo hackerspace is already informed, but didn’t confirm the attendance yet. I am in contact with one of the people involved.

I think we need a database with the initiatives invited and list of participants.

can we  use the old STF google sheet ? as this wiki is a bit messy, or go with mathias’s suggestion here

Stick to the wiki please?

Yes it’s suboptimal, but we need to keep this all manageable, rather than spread things out over too many channels. Eventually we will find better solutions (e.g. installing a spreadsheet module into the platform) but for now the wiki is what we have I’m afraid even though it also drives me nuts sometimes :slight_smile:

Two (ex-) Cairean contacts for distance participation

Hey @Hegazy, I found two people that would probably be interested and perhaps could call in via skype, do a talk or Q&A, or at minimum do a brief statement of endorsement. I already contacted him (had worked with him a while ago). Then I saw he is in touch with another Cairean, Mostafa - who is into self-organized bottom up-assembly (but in a slightly different context). Still, he’ll probably understand very quickly what this is about, and I would expect him to like it very much. How do you think they could best be incorporated into the effort? Do you want me to reach out to Mostafa, or would someone like to do it from Cairo?

1 Like

Sameh won’t have time :frowning:

But he is excited about it in principle and will watch out for future developments :).

1 Like

Presentation critique

@Hazem and @Hegazy, if I understand correctly you’ll have 90 minutes time for some sort of presentation. In case some of it is odp, pdf, or ppt based I can preview it for you and give some comments & suggestions if you like. I’ve done that quite a bit for student presentations (although they probably were a little different), and it is usually a good idea to have some fresh eyes on it.

@Alberto@nadia of course that offer extends to your pres as well.

2 Likes

Last chance

Hey @hazem @hegazy and others. If you want me to look over presentation or give other conference related advice (whatever it is worth) - now is the time…

Database with the initiatives invited and list of participants

@Hazem I agree. I had already created this mailing list - see above in Resources - to centralise all contact information. It is shared with a select few to preserve contacts privacy, I sent you an invitation now :slight_smile:

@Nadia I think it is ok to keep a google spreadsheet with detailed information, i.e contacts? I am trying to have all initiatives discussed here, hence the list. However, I prefer not to share contact details publicly.

@trythis I think it would be best for you to reach out to him for now, introducing edgeryders and me from Cairo. Post-introduction, i can correspond with him via e-mail and invite him to our next community call. Sounds good? I sent you my contacts :slight_smile:

Thanks for the offer regarding the presentations, sure! I’m hoping for the presentations not to take up more than 10minutes though, to keep the workshop participatory. In fact, i’d rather we discuss the format/content a little more in depth first. Up?

Skype is up, will write to Mostafa

I am not sure I understand the demographics (who is audience, who is likely to be active/can present something) of the event in enough detail to give reliable advice on the format but we can try to fix that in the call…

Hi guys, sorry for not offering any help, i’m overloaded at work as these are my last days before I quit my current job. I just came upon this article about an organisation working on decentralizing the arts and diversifying art presented in public space. Do you know these guys? Maybe not too relevant but they seem to be innovators in a way!

Good luck @hegazy & co!

Yes, these guys are Mahatat and have been organising other events before, such as Pantomime in the Cairo Metro etc. @Iriedawta Very cool

1 Like

The Facebook event is now up

Main thing is to get back in touch with the people who signed up for the first FB event (and the futurespotters workshop last year) as well as others you feel should be there and share this link with them:  https://www.facebook.com/events/297319493725097/

Where does all of this go? Boom! We bring you the biggest, baddest and most experimental project yet: https://edgeryders.eu/en/node-4554/after-the-future-makers-call-1-the-project-design-and-call :)

@Hegazy @SamarAli @Hazem @Eslam @trythis @monarezk @amiridina @Mohamed_Elmasry @Mohammad_Osama @dina @Mostafa_Adel @mostafahemdan