Call for papers: Political Forms and Movements in the Digital Era - Deadline for abstract submission: FEBRUARY 28, 2017

Hi @Alberto, @Nadia, @Noemi , @Amelia , @melancon and whoelse it may concern,

i know you are all busy with the beginning of a brand new year. Anyway, is somebody interested in the call of the title?

I think the Areas of research (The equipment of democracy in the era of “open”, “hack” and “tech”, Mobilizations in the era of “doing together” and the commons and The making of opinion and its ecology) may fit to OP3NCARE research experience and narration.

Some information:

"Abstracts (max. 500 words) are due by February 28th, 2017. They should be sent to the following address: reset@openedition.org

The proposal, written in English or in French, will mention the research question, the used methodology and theoretical frame. It will highlight the scientific interest of the submitted article in regard with the existing literature and the call for paper. It can be accompanied by a short bibliography. We wish to draw the attention of the authors to the rubric « updating the classics », which aims to revisit classic authors and theories in social sciences through the prism of the Internet."

The link in english: https://reset.revues.org/861#tocto1n1

The link in french: https://reset.revues.org/860

1 Like

Why not?

@Ezio_Manzini , could this be a way to start thinking about the famous paper?

1 Like

“Doing together” track

Hi @Federico_Monaco, thanks for bringing this forward, I would be interested as this gives us a chance to  look deeper at the data we are collecting.

My preference would be to not stick to our telling of the methodology - what you’ve seen a lot of earlier in Milan, but use the preliminary data we have to say something about how collective capacity can be sustained, indeed with a vehicle like opencare and digital networks. It’s why I would go for the second theme and use ethnographic results. Let me know what you have in mind or if you’d like to talk and flesh this out?

1 Like

I agree with Noemi that we should go for the “Doing together” track with focus on, as Noemi puts it, “how collective capacity can be sustained”. That being said, we might want to have a section describing how technology is used to reach our goals, and how – t som extent – it plays a most useful role. I am willing to cintribute to the abstract, although I beleive the lead should be taken by a “ethno-centered” collaborator.

“seeing like OP3NCARE”

Dear @Noemi, i agree with you: a) show some results and b) describe how OP3NCARE functions among people as collector, what solutions have been co-produced by participants, technologies, processes, reverse salients. In short terms: “the winning collective tactics to tackle health issues in the age of networks”. …could it be a good title? :slight_smile:

Toolbox for a Post-Democracy area

hmm interesting,

I was just studying the subject around new tools to make democracy more in line with the new emerging models.  I’m having a transition year on political level by not reacting anymore on sociatal subjects by searching for the solution inside our classical democratic system, but by studying the possibilities that new technologies give us. Going back to some of the Athenian Democracy logic while implementing new tools to do so could be one of those solutions i would like to study further.

1 Like

Biopolitics and health as a common

Dear @Yannick, yes! It would be heaven: a part in the paper about network politics and healthcare would be of great contribution i guess. The challenge is intimately political when it come to bodies, related practices and healthcare institutions and agencies. I find the big problem today and the mistake enacted by healthcare systems and theories of caring is to put the patient at the centre, while i think the paradigmatical change will happen when patients will reach a symmetrical positions to health professionals and practitioners by a open care (!) approach. I see the cure/care at the center as issue and patients, care givers, professionals and practitioners around negotiationg practices, outcomes, data, etc… Madeleine Akrich has a very useful approach for all this. Would you suggest me some reading about what you have in mind?  Let’s keep in touch!

Suggestion

@Federico_Monaco this is your idea, so you have last word. My suggestion is that you cooperate and co-sign with @Ezio_Manzini and (if they are interested) others who know much about online/onsite cooperation, like @Noemi and @Nadia . If you (Federico) agree, I’ll put you in direct contact and you can take it from there.

Ezio wrote me that he is interested. Beware: if this goes ahead it is going to be highly interdisciplinary (ethnography, design, social sciences). This makes it very interesting, but also a source of headaches.

@Yannick I do not understand if you are just “thinking out loud” or proposing something? Remember, we are not native speakers of English and can miss out or misunderstand.

1 Like

Sounds great.

Good idea to do this and thank you for thinking of me. I can participate in a highly limited capacity as Im travelling and already have a number of commitments which will take up most of my time.

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion …yes, headaches

Thanks @Alberto There is already a lot around in this thread: heterogeneity and interdisciplinarity are the key-stone of a possible essay if we describe “how the infrastructure solves tensions between global and local”, how practices and objects (digital ones too) are being trafficked, who takes charge of what; mainly how openness and interoperability of identities, objects and relations are related inside OP3NCARE. In this way we turn from headache to a ethnography of infrastructure (how categories, values, objects and identities shape and design the infrastructure used to produce new ways of caring

What inspire me a lot is how different people with different backgrounds see same objects and concepts in different ways and how concepts like “open”, “objectivity”, “data”, “care”, “design”, etc… so different people from Computer Science, Open Design, Edgeryders staff, Healthcare and Medicine, Political Sciences, Anthropology, Sociology, etc… can give a great contribution in describing how all this works and interoperates to make OP3NCARE emerge.

The next moves and some (fictitious) deadlines might be:

end of january - a) some keywords from the participants to be included in the abstract

b) a literature review (some references from different fields of research)

c) authors list and tasks

When possible in Rome (feb 1st and 2nd) and for whom will be there around, we could have a short and light face-to-face working session (in a pub?)

mid february - abstract and paper structure drafting

end february - abstract due

@Ezio_Manzini   just a first proposal on how to move on… or how would you proceed with so many different disciplines and people?

Homework: Lit review

@Federico_Monaco sounds like a plan! Do you have relevant studies you can share to started on reading and a common base to start from? I’m way behind on academic literature…! I think setting up a working google folder where we can each upload things would be useful. If you can start I will jump in and invite the rest.

1 Like

Just thinking out loud

Hey @alberto i was just thinking out loud, letting know also that if you needed some readers about the subject i’m willing to participate because i will into that kind of thematics this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

wake me up!

Dear @Yannick

I’m very interested. Please share any good reading! :slight_smile:

At the moment doing my research in Dutch, but will try to switch

here is my first storify on what i found: https://storify.com/YannickHuisVDH/post-democratie-1-van-resolutie-naar-studie#publicize

will publicize another one today, but in english then :slight_smile:

1 Like

geen probleem!

Dat valt mee. Ik ga mijn nederlands oefenen.

Thanks for the insight about your post-democratic approach. I find it very useful in the debate about future healthcare policies.

Paper contribution

Hi @Yannick

within one week we should get to a final draft of the abstract.

Would you like to contribute? The field of the Political Forms and Movements in the Digital Era should be of interest for you as far as i have understood.

Here you find the call.

Timing doesn’t work out

Hey @federico_monaco it will not be possible to contribute because timing is not right at the moment. Hope to help next time.

1 Like

timing

Hi @Yannick

in case you would like to be part of the authors, february 28th is only the deadline for the abstract (you could provide a reference about open democracy for instance, that would be enough for now).

You could certainly contribute to the paper in the coming months (deadline June 10th, 2017) with a paragraph about open democracy to fit to the abstract and the call, which i think be very tuned to your field of research.

In case you agree we can still count you in.

If you need more information we can have a videocall in the coming days.

Tot zo

suggestion@

@Alberto, I agree with your proposal. If @Federico_Monaco agrees too, we can start to discuss. What could the next step be?

1 Like

of course i agree

Nice to meet you @Ezio_Manzini. I appreciate your interest in my proposal.