Changing education paradigms

Changing education paradigms

I would like to share the video hereby with you all. I really like it and I think that is a really good synthesis of the actual challenges educations systems encounter.

I’m personally trying to help my students to develop divergent thinking and disruptive innovation. I really believe that we need to bring education to a whole different level by integrating aesthetics as mentioned in the video in order to allow young generations to make a change by learning through experience.

Andres

Hello Andres,

I watched this

Hello Andres,

I watched this video some weeks ago and I was asking myself how feasible is to change the educational system, (in this case and specially in some countries- we are talking about changing the WHOLE system) and what it takes to be done? So, I am really curious how you achieve it with your students, to drive them out of the class and give them the experience to learn…?

thank you

Will Robi (7, Gypsy) be good in school after the reform?

The depth and diversity of stereotypes we have in Europe against each other are one of the greatest obstacles to the economic growth of the continent.

The current system (structure, methodology applied) gives a perfect framework to separation of kids from one another where practices of discrimination have become widespread.

Actually I haven’t seen the video published with the current mission report and I think it really sums up what I have also been missing in the field of education. Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately public spheres (politics, education, health, employment) are mostly slow at getting and applying innovation. I think that is especially true in the online world.

The way we educate our children definitely needs a thorough overview and a prompt change. Although reforming the system of education will not only require transforming relevant legislations, curriculum, retraining of teachers and changing habits of schools but also changing habits of politicians and actually of all citizens :slight_smile:

We have a good track record of identifying the differences and thus we tend to develop an identity of being different than others which is many times interpreted as a “bad thing” in Europe. Our history has shifted us towards this approach.

One of the toughest habits I have been coming across as a child as well as a father of three is discrimination in school. The current educational system and the educational methodology used provides a real chance to less than 1% of all Roma/Gypsy children. Extreme right wing thinkers argue it’s for the bad genes Roma/Gypsy (hereinafter referred to as ‘Roma’) have and when it comes to judging Roma than 6 to 8 ppl out of ten would think alike irrespective of political, religious background in all Central and Eastern European states. The same applies to media too.

The very first thing a Roma child is confronted with on the first school day in his/her life is that s/he is different, comes from a criminal group that lies, cheats and is stinky. These are the first attributes associated to our ethnic group. So how enthusiastic will you be with any kind of reform when you get this from school mates and many teachers also contribute to deepening the stereotypes against Roma kids in the class (Roma children sit in the last row in the class, they have a permission to miss out certain classes so they do not disturb the others, Roma children are overrepresented in special schools for physically and mentally disabled children etc.).

So I am definitely FOR changing the educational system but it should be done in a way where stereotypes are challenged and kids are completing projects in groups where they are always asked to join new and new groups.

Just to show you guys how deep stereotypes are, check out this video. THis is ‘Robika’, a 7 year old Roma kid who just got featured in the Hungarian version of the x-factor talent program. In the last couple of days, he’s been receiving a vast number of racist comments from tens of thousands of people across the country. Now you can imagine what this kid may expect to receive from the other pupils when walking in the classroom on his first school day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peCv90NYoSY

This might need a mission of its own

Hey Gyula, thanks for your comment. I don’t understand Hungarian, so I miss out on the racist comments on the video, but I get the drift. :frowning:

This topic is superinteresting, and I think it might get more attention if we push it to a mission report of its own. It could launch a discussion about how to innovate education in such a way to decrease the negative impact of discrimination. I have a hunch that some methods being tried for other reasons (see my own test drive of the Khan Academy here on Edgeryders) might also be less discriminatory that the presently dominant classroom technology.

To create a mission report, go to the appropriate mission (Reality check seems the most promising one, but also, maybe, The rules of the space) and click on the “Do this mission now” button. If you need help let me know.

This could interest you

Hi Andres, how are things?

I remembered your post as I was reading through the synthesis of what Edgeryders have been writing on education and our systems being conservative and no longer able to deliver the promise of a good working life. You might wanna have a look at it and see if there are things you’d like to see more of in it…

In addition to the synthesis there’s a policy recommendations section, and basically that’s what will stand at the core of our transition handbook we plan to release end of this year. Come check it out, and feel free to poke holes in it! The more suggestions and critique, the higher our chances to pull off something worthy of young people at the edges of change :slight_smile: Thanks and here is the conversation around the report summary (btw it also links to the full paper)

http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/making-sense-edgeryders-experiences-where-do-we-go-here/mission_case/learning-reloaded