Community Tech Desk: How to get connected

Copy%20of%20how%20are%20you%20coping%20with%20loss%20of%20work_

• You wonder how to play a game online with your friends?
  • You need to set up a call with multiple people who do not have access to the internet/use old phone lines?
  • You want to live stream a theatre performance?
  • You need to connect 50+ people for an intense webinar?

Right now many are asking questions like that. Our community of technologists and experienced distributed collaborators is a good place to find help.

Tell us what you trying to do, why you want to do it and what you have problems with.

We will help each other as a community :).

5 Likes

I would like to find some ideas along the lines of “interesting, enjoyable, trust-building or otherwise valuable activities to do online for a date”. It’s a serious question. Maybe somebody has experiences to share from a pre-pandemic long-distance romantic relationship? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@noemi @Leonie @jasen_lakic @matteo_uguzzoni @HadeerGhareeb your turf! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe ask the Gulfies about this - they’ve been doing this cat and mouse dance since forever because of extremely conservative cultures…

1 Like

My husband and I had 5 years of long-distance in total, and what was important for us throughout the whole time was to call every evening for at least 5 minutes to say good night to each other. To establish that as a fixed ritual and touching point for us every day was I think good for us.

I also have a question, more technical in nature:
Any ideas for solutions for teachers that function like zoom, but have the servers located in Germany or the EU in general? I talked to a friend who is a teacher and would like to use zoom but is not allowed due to the servers being overseas.

5 Likes

We are working on releasing a relationship Didi asks card pack, that can be used with long distance. if anyone wants some cards to test. we will be happy to share :slight_smile:

The game will be a good way to learn about each other in less awkward way…at the end there is that motive of playing that will keep the “knowing each other” continue.

3 Likes

hey @matthias and @HadeerGhareeb here’s an idea - try this thing out and let me know what ideas you get then let’s see if we can make it happen :)) now.edgeryders.eu

1 Like

Owen built it, maybe it makes sense to dedicate it to quarantime activities and see what creative stuff people come up with @johncoate @MariaEuler @noemi @jasen_lakic @matteo_uguzzoni @alessandro_mambelli :))

Anything where you get to see each other, hear each other, share things and have fun…from having dinner and wine skype date and dancing to writing a story together, playing some fun games together, doing naughty stuff :stuck_out_tongue:, brainstorming together etc.

2 Likes

We used to watch movies or documentaries, in sync, while on a ‘Skype’ call so we could comment in real time. Not very original, nor particularly creative, but we were happy with it.

3 Likes

@MariaEuler is the illustration your work? That’s quite nice :+1:t2:

1 Like

You have no idea. :smile: But noted! Another writeup I never thought I would do.

2 Likes

Thank you :). I wanted to touch something that’s not a keyboard for a bit and since I can’t go to my studio right now this had to serve :).

3 Likes

ping @amelia @Leonie - maybe something to do a call for stories/input on?

1 Like

Dunno if it’s relevant to your style but I came across this crowd https://www.jointheround.com/pandemiclove

2 Likes

Just saw this. Such a nice question.
I find that Non Violent Communication exercices can bring a new level of intimacy and do work well online too. There are online sessions led on zoom that you can join simultaneously (Mironel De Wilde on facebook host a session each sunday) or you can do practices on skype from the comfort of your home :slight_smile: starting from simple questions and holding space for each other to express. Also using the NY famous list of questions can be funny, and might lead to unexpected conversations. There’s for trust to me. Having a skype session just to focus on work/reading in each others “presence” can be quite nice too. Another option that I didn’t explore yet could be to share a groovy dance on a same playlist at home via skype or join an online workshop to have some fun/learn something by distance, but together. Wish you the best ! (Here is the NVC online sess if anyone is interested : Practice to speak and receive from the heart )

3 Likes

omg I just noticed the illustration @MariaEuler!!! it’s super :slight_smile:

1 Like

SO- two questions

1. The cat: I want to let him out but worry that if he gets lost, people will not take him in or call me if they see him. Any suggestions for something small enough I could use to keep track of him?

2. Children: Anyone else dealing with having kids around all day? Like they are cute and all, but how do you keep them occupied? We have a tablet, but I don’t want their brains to rot from a month of watching that shit. At the same time we are working almost full time. Any non screen gadgets that don’t cost a fortune?

Are these the ones you refer to Louise? Can 36 Questions Create Closeness Between Strangers? Take the Quiz - ABC News
Yes, as far as hearsay goes these seem to be very interesting connection building moments. Probably could happen as easily online as in a physical face to face. Didn’t try it but @hugi had some thoughts.

@matthias since you asked, what have you been trying so far…?
In my periods with long distance - daily email letters and countdown till the time of reunion worked well, later whatsapp text. Not too innovative I’m afraid…

PS Somehow this is the last topic title (community tech support) where I was expecting this deep conversation topic. We should move it somewhere and promote it more - it would be a first in our community to talk about love lives in a sustained conversation :slight_smile:

1 Like

no no no it’s cool here :))