Content Curation Call THIS Tuesday (22 October)

We’re re-initiating our content curation calls starting this Tuesday. The quality and quanitity of our content is quite high right now, but for communication purposes it’s lacking overview and snippets. We also want to repurpose the content we have to create them into engaging pieces generating more leads: in other words, have more people read and interact with what we do.

On the agenda:

1. Events: Scifi-Econ & AI-Justice
  2. Other Festival comms.
  3. Interviews - planning
  4. Social Media - copy content, target audiences, priorities

If you have anything to add, let me know. Looking forward seeing you all!

@alberto @ilaria @marina @noemi @nadia @natalia_skoczylas @Jan @amelia @matthias @natalia_skoczylas @Jirka_Kocian @Richard @anon82932460 @johncoate @hugi @MariaEuler @amelia @matthias @katjab @RobvanKranenburg @Heshanij @mirkopresser

These weekly calls are where the Edgeryders communication crew coordinates the work of supporting project teams, community managers, fellows and community members to get the word out and engage people in the exciting work everyone is doing.

They happen Tuesdays at 16.30 CET on ZOOM here: Launch Meeting - Zoom

I’ll be there BUT mind that at 5PM @noemi and I have the weekly Deep Dive call with partners.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Projects

In Brussels & Flanders:
These activities require intense promotion in French and Dutch on social media (FB events + relevant Facebook groups), Local Press coverage (Belga + Bruzz), Individual outreach via local personal contacts, flyers to put in key locations (e.g Comics shops, bookshops, coworking spaces etc).

Who is accountable for results

1. Sci Fi Economics - Who is accountable for which results? What is current situation? Risks/possible points of failure? How to fix with/through comms? Where are all the digital assets for this project (please make sure you have all the raw materials and editable design/video files for each thing you are commissioning before issuing any payment, ping: @marina and @alberto)
  2. Justice & AI- Who is accountable for which results? What is current situation? Risks/possible points of failure? How to fix with/through comms? Where are all the digital assets for this project (please make sure you have all the raw materials and editable design/video files for each thing you are commissioning before approving any invoices or making payments)
  3. The Reef - Who is accountable for which results? What is current situation? Risks/possible points of failure? How to fix with/through comms? Where are all the digital assets for this project (please make sure you have all the raw materials and editable design/video files for each thing you are commissioning before approving any invoices or issuing any payment)

Communication channels - Who sets up and manages each one for each event/activity - what is role of Edgeryders comms and community management crew? what is on individual event organiser?

1. Facebook event (add edgeryders as editor)
  2. Meetup
  3. Facebook groups
  4. Local news publications
  5. Physical locations (Flyers, Posters at relevant locations - co-working spaces, cafes etc)
  6. Posts on Mailing lists
  7. Documentation space on platform: example:we can have an event documentation category where all documentation is posted on the platform. And we can set it up so that when a person creates a new topic, there are a number of questions in the WYSIWYG that people can answer to help them get started. But who is responsible for making sure the documentation happens in the first place, then cleaning it up into a blogpost that we can post afterwards to stimulate good followup discussions and collaborations?

In other locations

1. Berlin (English): Hackathon for ethical solutions to unethical problems, Service Design in a climate emergency, Carbon neutral Smart Cities,
  2. Malmo (Swedish): What does tech look like on a finite, post-climate change earth?
  3. Stockholm (Swedish): Teaching Teachers Open Source
  4. Serbia (Serbian)
  5. Poland (Polish)
  6. Czech Republic (Czech)

Communication channels - Who sets up and manages each one for each event/activity - what is role of Edgeryders comms and community management crew? what is on individual event organiser?

1. Facebook event for each event POPREBEL and NGI (add edgeryders as editor)
  2. Meetup
  3. Facebook groups
  4. Local news publications
  5. Physical locations (Flyers, Posters at relevant locations - co-working spaces, cafes etc)
  6. Posts on Mailing lists

Team Communication routines - Who in edgeryders is coordinating what, how and where? what is on individual event organiser for each activity?

1. Key Quotes from best of posts and threads
  2. Weekly Summary Posts
  3. Bulk Schedule updates
  4. Count on me
  5. Interviews: Reaching out to people, Coordination & onboarding, Conducting Interview & transcribing it, Posting rouch edited draft in Wiki, Reaching back to interviewee to get them to create account and edit their piece, add footer for promoting event/discussion & prompting signups, publish
1 Like

As of now these are the events I see attached to Edgeryders on FB: In other words, most of them are missing

is this call intentionally scheduled without a time? (on zoom, of course we have a time said to each other now, but in the call list on zoom this is a call without a time)

1 Like

I think inge has probably missed this bit about how to schedule zoom stuff but ^^ is time + zone info

1 Like

ok, I can change it

1 Like

Thank you, @MariaEuler! And yes, I did miss that, thanks for flagging.

Here are the notes from yesterday’s call, let me know if I’ve forgotten anything:

During this call we discussed the comms the events this month in Brussels and for the community-led events elsewhere in Europe more general. We particularly focussed on the events in Brussels as Belgium has a very particular situation with language: you can’t only promote it in English, it has to be in French and Dutch as well. But they’re also tied to a place where we have a physical presence. And so there are other channels that can be used, and have to be used, to effectively market them.

In general, points to follow up on with regards to all the events:

• What is what is the responsibility of the person organizing it
  • Is there a Facebook event for your for your activity? @anon82932460 will set those up based on events on edgeryders. Make sure all relevant info is there.
  • Is there an event on Meetup?
  • Are you reaching out to Facebook groups?
  • What is the process to get local news publications to write about it?
  • Are there physical locations where communication can be put up?
  • Are people reaching out to mailing lists?
  • Have you assigned people to be responsible for the documentation of the events, the footage,etc.
  • Promote the event ALSO in the language(s) of the country where the event is held
  • mass communications approach is one thing, but personalized approach is a MUST as well

Sci-fi Economics: It’s not clear who is accountable for which results. What’s the current situation with the communications efforts? Where do we see risks and possible points of failure?

How to fix this through comms: need to unify where all the materials are and streamline communications.

• content: people need to see that there is some background to this with interesting conversations. Sci-fi started quite some time ago with a reading group, so there’s institutional memory, interesting conversations, and we need to be able to communicate it effectively.
  • Physical flyers need to be printed to spread the word. Going out and engaging people face-to-face to join (share event at places online and offline where people look for things to do)
  • Facebook groups and online event places: share event there
  • Team needs help with:
    • writing engaging copy for outreach. Ping @inge when needed
    • Local press
  • Comms need from team:
    • snippets of good content from legacy Sci-Fi econ conversations: the reading lists, the discussions leading up to the design of the event.
  • Marketing strategy.
    • need to prepare different communication materials, different adaptations on the flyer we need to talk to copywriters to do this properly.
    • @anon82932460 will:
      • target people living in Brussels, in three different languages to:
        • attend the event
        • Crowd fund
      • Target europe/US in English to:
        • Increase live-streaming audience
        • Crowd fund campaign

Edgeryders Festival

• Design: We need to have a designer on retainer who can produce and adapt the visual materials, flyers, posters:
    • We need to talk to the graphic designer who originally produced them (>>
      _ @mariaeuler commenting: Problem is that to “fill them in” is a lot of work if people do not provide suitable short descriptions and images, will send the rest to the designer tomorrow and ask her to just fill it to her best knowledge from what she sees in the posts, but that is not usually a graphics designers job, to make the copy fit, which is why I already had to spend quite some time on that.)
  • Outreach:
    • each one of these events has to have a Facebook (@anon82932460) with registration link to festival event
    • populate the feed of the Facebook event with registration, status updates, interesting content, etc to engage people (@anon82932460)
    • Organizers invite “experts” to the platform and introduce them to @inge for an interview
    • Organizers answer questions from people who want to come to their event about the event on FB and other platforms
    • Organizers invite their friends and networks to the event
    • Organizers print flyers for the event (will be reimbursed)
    • The digital version of the flyers will be used by comms team (we need to ahve them organized all in one place)
  • Community Managers:
    • onboard people to Edgeryders platform who sign up to events and point to the relevant events or conversations that are happening on the platform
    • Update doc with good quotes with key content:
      • Quotes
      • Snippets

I have stepped in as managing the communications for Scifi Economics. Am being bossy and just delegating tasks basedon what I know about people without discussion due to time urgency.

2 Likes