Cute data looking for people to play with them :)

After few months in Matera, we realized that quiet a lot of efforts have been made to produce data/information/maps about the city.  The Open data community is also very active in Matera.

Why not leveraging this effort during the lote 4 ? Of course not all the data are free or open. BUT if we manage to find few more datasets/maps, I am sure we will find something very useful/exciting to create out of it during the hackathon. So what do we got…

What do you think ? Any more ideas ?

3 Likes

Traditional knowledge

I am interested in the traditional knowledge stuff. It’s a meta-stewardship problem: Pietro builds the databank to steward the knowledge, but then he has the problem of stewarding the databank! And when the funding runs out… well you know the drill. smiley

I have browsed the report… that’s going to be some time to reverse engineer the data model. But it sounds like fun, and we could involve archaeologist Emmanuele Curti and his students.

1 Like

questions

I think what we need is good questions on behalf of the city, as to what is needed to make things that are already there work better for Matera. Data –> questions –> projects –> development. I am in.

2 Likes

No question

You are right @katalin. Are you seeing a dataset that would work better in this sense?

TKWD

No, it’s fine, of course, it is not my field of expertise in any case. I was simply alarmed that yet another database is to be created - it seems to me that everyone is collecting data in Matera, without finding actual (groups of) people who have questions/dreams/nightmares/etc that would make it useful. It falls too well in line with the “easy-to-drop subject for social experiments” theme that the city also has a long history of.

1 Like

Good thinking

It falls too well in line with the “easy-to-drop subject for social experiments” theme that the city also has a long history of.

Good, deep thinking. I will remember that.