Documentation / harvesting of LOTE5: what? why? how?

Hack that pad …

Hello @Alberto and @Noemi

I like the suggestion, since I guess you’re suggesting it, because worked at previous LOTEs, so go ahead! Why change a running system. Just some comments & questions:

1. Sounds good, will you post every single link to the wiki then in advance, too (or is it one link for all sessions, referring to #3?)? Will there be a little time in the very beginning of the event when everyone is gathered so that you could walk people through a short introduction into Hackpad? I expect lots of people to join the documentation team kinda spontaneously on the spot, so they might appreciate a short “how to”, if they never heard of Hackpad (the name alone can be a bit intimidating, as it slightly implies you gotta be techy). I’m thinking of the pen and paper crowd here and of how to best invite people in case this is a new form of doing things for them.

2. Good idea for people who like the communal documenting idea. I’d like to add that people should still be encouraged to find a good balance between trying this if they like, but not feel pushed if they prefer to do it in another way. For me, it would be very distracting to listen to the session while co-documenting with others. I would easily get lost in trying to read other people’s contributions - and have a lot of fun doing it - but get distracted. So yes, point to the Hackpad, and leave space for alternatives, so that people can do it the way they do it best.

Who would do this “pointing out”, then? Can the speakers be asked to refer to the Hackpad link / Documentation thread in the beginning? No one of us will be around at every session, so how can this work best for all?

Would it help to have a “how to document / Hackpad” poster in the room as a backup plan, so people can look up the basics there? Like this, for example:

• Like co-documenting with others? Go to: https://lote5.hackpad.com/ and find the session. Group Hackpad on!

• Like to document individually? Enjoy. After you’re done, please upload this here: “link in forum to be defined where the postings about sessions will be set up” and find the session you’d like to contribute your documentation to.

Or so …? Don’t know. How did you do it in the past so that it was clear where the documentation goes to? Before every session? Once at the very beginning of the event?

1. Would that mean that it’s one large hackpack-document in the end? Would it then still be possible to link to individual parts of it, for example to add a link to the hackpad for session X to thread about session X?

More on general documentation/harvesting questions/coordination in next comment.

Cheers

Kaja

Ok, bullet pointing

UPDATED: Or we could set up a new group on Edgeryders “LOTE5 Harvest”?

I love how thorough you are. Ok so:

• I've asked Alex to put the link to the hackpad on the back of nametags. The LOTE5 hackpad is a collection of pads (documents). One is able to create a different pad for each session, with its own link and content about the session. Its individual link we can add here in your table afterwards.
  • We'll be explaining documentation at the beginning of the event + ask the people who volunteered here to remind others in the individual sessions (we should have a small gathering earlier on Thursday before LOTE starts and it gets crowded).
  • Great idea for How To posters in each room, it's on my to do list..!

on time (thursday)

Hey Noemi

regarding: “We’ll be explaining documentation at the beginning of the event + ask the people who volunteered here to remind others in the individual sessions (we should have a small gathering earlier on Thursday before LOTE starts and it gets crowded).”

Just for the planning of when to explain documentation (and the harvesting aspects): I will have to attend a organisational call for an Art of Hosting event between 7 and 8:30 pm on thursday,

so I won’t be available during those 1,5 hours.

Looking at the programm, the general introduction is between 5 and 6 pm. If we gather the docu crowd right afterwards, we can well be finished with that before 7 pm. Works? Or anytime before that, of course.

And if day wasn’t full enough already, of course, I cook on thursday :wink: (but hope to do it as early as possible, preferably even before the afternoon.).

Between 6 and 7 sounds OK

@Kaja, thanks for the suggestion, i think it will work to gather after the opening, if we manage not to disperse too much in the general frenziness. By then we’ll have people signed up for this as they check in.

Sorry I havent answered your last email, have been drowning a bit trying to answer other stuff. @ireinga and I will be working all Wednesday and running around getting stuff ready, so maybe we can all meet at SmartBe around 10? let’s wait for Irene to confirm…

drowning too …

sigh And see, how good I am at staying away from the forum in order to get some rest? :wink: Damn!!

Wednesday at 10 sounds good for me! Just on a note that doesn’t belong here, but if you talk to Ireinga about times anyway …

if it’s more practical that one dish gets cooked on Wednesday evening, I can also do that, if enough help is around.

on space and sharing learning

Hey again

Two questions (for the moment), ping @noemi:

On space:

I read that the venue is a maze :slight_smile: It would be very good to have a big wall for the things that will be written on post-its etc., so this now is about the pen and paper side of the game …

It would be perfect if there was enough space next to that wall so people could form - more or less spontaneous - chair circles if they feel like sharing something (or if someone like to invite, which I for example like doing, sometimes, but it can of course also be opened by anybody else). It is nice to have a space for these things. Is that something you happened to planned for? Like a retreat area or so?

On sharing the learning:

In the program it says “share your learning”, at the end of the day. What did you plan to do there? I mean … will it be hosted in any way or will people be given time to socialize and things will happen on their own? Just curious what that programm point means :slight_smile: If you don’t want to spoil the mystery, that’s okay, too :wink: I like surprises.

Have a good evening, everyone!

Kaja

Hm

@Kaja: I hear there are plenty of corners for people to gather spontaneously. Come next week on Wed, we’ll be able to go and check it out and see where such a wall could be placed? I’ve made a list of logistics still needed to be taken care of, feel free to add there no of postits + visual you showed us for documenting in analogue mode. We can print it Wed.

Share your learnings: nothing planned in particular, it’s usually that at the end of the day it makes sense to reconvene. We don’t have formal “curators” to round things up, but @Nadia is damn good at opening up discussions. Let’s see what we can come up with, if you have ideas bring them on.

Link

Okay, thanks! See you on wednesday then.

Logistics wiki: So far, the link for uploading is the LOTE5 workspace, will there be a sub-section like “/docu” or so? Otherwise, I imagine the threads will be scattered all over the forum and it’ll be hard to find them.

Posterwise:

I’d like to alter the wording a bit, because “enjoy” can be interpreted in the slightly cynical direction of “well, if you think that’s a good idea, enjoy yourself!” :slight_smile:

I didn’t mean it that way, when I wrote it, and I’d like to be clear and apprechiative about what people chose to do. What I meant was to encourage people to

do what they want, so please change to “That’s great, too!” instead of “Enjoy.”

Suggestion for wording:

"Like to document in another way? That’s great, too! After you’re done, please upload your material here: LOTE5 workspace

Look whether a post for the session already exist there.

If so, add you material to the post.

If not, open one and start the documentation of that session.

Tadaah!

Tadaah probably optional, but I hope you get the idea. :wink: Intention: make process as easy and clear for everybody, also those who either weren’t present

at introduction or couldn’t be bothered then, but then get interested in contributing afterwards and can’t remember what was said about the “how to”.

Or am I making this more complicated than necessary? Previous lote experiece based feedback welcome!

Logistics # 2: Since you liked the posters idea … For the overview of what is being documented and making things as easy as possible:

Would it be possible to also have a printed version of the documentation wiki excel where people add their names to the sessions?

That would be hanging somewhere on a well visible wall and people can walk up there and add themselves spontaneously. Again, for the pen and paper crowd

who’re not into checking everything online all the time.

The “worst” thing that can happen is that we have people parallely signing up online and on the paper version.

Better than subsection of LOTE5…

…a new group: LOTE5 Harvest. Basically when clicking there all posts/wikis/documents will be documentation only. I also assigned this wiki to that group. So we have a clean slate. Works? @Kaja.

you are the pro reg. the techy side of things …

… so I think a group is perfect. I most probably meant that when writing “sub section”, hehe. Still not totally getting the forum’s structure.

One request @Noemi: please don’t call the new group “Harvest” ok? Rather “Documentation” or something the like.

There is a difference, which I don’t expect to be clear yet (because I didn’t break it down in detail probably, and it’s a little tough to

find the right words right now due to time shortage), but it’s important for me to rather point to the documentation side for now,

even though it might seem I’m splitting hair. :slight_smile:

In a nutshell: how to document is on track already and it seems like it’s going to work.

Harvesting, on the other hand, is a process that is not going to happen in its full potential at LOTE (as I had to realize), due

to different reasons (number of people present at LOTE with AoH harvesting experience, process design compatibility …).

So what’s going to happen are some sprinkles of harvesting. It will rather be flower picking than harvesting the entire field,

if that allegory helps. Yes, I know, I called it “harvesting” myself, in a moment of overestimating (ignoring?) possibilities.

Typical utopians trap! sigh

Therefore, I expect the amount of documentation threads to dominate - so it would be more correct to call the group accordingly.

I’m not be able to explain this in more detail right now, sorry, even though I’d love to. Looking forward to talking about this to you in person.

Thanks!

Kaja

HOw to add myself?

Hi, I’d like to help document the Master of Networks session, but I can’t edit above. How do I do it?

Edit button above the menu

Hey, hope this helps:

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks Noemi, it worked! Now I still have to figure out the hackpad thingy. I’m a little confused, can you confirm me that it is going to be part of the edgeryder group?

Hackpad also figured out

Yay!

Thanks for joining the session journalists :slight_smile: Looking forward to reading all about that session, which I probably won’t be able to join, myself.

You’re actively lowering my fomo - phew!

My contribution

Hello all,

Nice to meet you. I just joined, and would like to let you know that I am willing to document (let me say I will be a session journalist, but also seeking questions, patterns and the flow of) the workshop on “The pedagogy of development in the Global South”.  I hope that doesn’t coincide with the “Collaborative inclusion” session, as that was my main reason to attend.  But we shall see when we come to that.

Looking forward to see you on Thursday.

Annick

PS: sorry for posting it as a comment but I have no idea how to otherwise let you know what I can contribute here.

The Art of Powerful Question

I added it to the Wiki, but just in case there’s no notification:

If you’re interested in The Art of Powerful Questions, please this way.

Enjoy!

Friday afternoon documentations

Hi everyone!

I would most gladly join the documenters team for Thursday afternoon and document :

Failure of Israeli - Palestinian negotiations: the peace industry and the endless peace process

Failures in development in Colombia - sneak preview and talk with the director J

1 Like

Meetup documenters 18:00 today Merab room

Hi all, it seems we have ourselves a team!

With @Kaja we thought of quickly meeting each other and agreeing how to coordinate over the next few days.

If you are at SmartBe for LOTE launch on Thursday, right after we will meet in Merab room, at 18:00 or immediately after the welcoming and before dinner. See you there!

wow, all the action …

Hejhej!

I’m really impressed to see how effortlessly the notes are flowing in and how the documentation is taking shape and growing steadily. Seeing all that action on the docu team is awesome! :slight_smile:

As always, someone has to lag behind, and that’s going to be me, damnit! I’m trying to ignore a flu while working double shifts to make up for my last week’s absence because at Lote and next week’s because of Art of Hosting Karlskrona. Will try to be back a little later in March with typed up notes and reflections on the event in general … after jumping on another tree for a week!

2 Likes