Dreams hack in March

This invitation has also gone out to the Borderland community.

Another Participio development event is currently being planned. This time, we will be somewhere in Scandinavia, and the software we are working on is Dreams. You can see it running for the Borderland (a co-created event in Denmark) or check out the GitHub repository.

Dreams is a platform used to co-create events. Any participant of an event can create something they want to do, set a budget, and all participants can then decide what to fund with tokens. Over the years, we’ve gathered a lot of ideas on how we could improve Dreams and make it even more usable. Some of these improvements could be:

• To make it possible to have the Dreams platform run on a single site and allow any organization to simply create new events without having to first set it up on their own servers.

• An admin interface for Dream guides, the people who are helping project creators live up to event guidelines.

• Different categories with different pots of grants (for example, have 30% of the grants be earmarked for art that stays on site of the event)

• Ability to donate more money to the Dreams fund by buying more Dream coins.

• Integrate placement in Dreams.

We still don’t know what the priority would be of these improvements.

I want to plan a coding retreat somewhere in the Scandinavian countryside, for one week, probably end of March (week 13) – though that can change depending on availability of people and places. I have some funding available from the Participio project, but I would like to ask for a contribution from the Borderland for renting a suitable location for a week.

During this week, we would also prepare the Dreams platform for the Borderland 2019. Doing this in the past has unfortunately been solitary work during long nights in front of a screen, and I’d like to add some magic and community feeling to that experience.

You can participate in this project in three ways. The first two ways of engagement are currently mostly for those who are participating in the Borderland event in 2019, but the third is open to anyone with the right skills and interest.

1. Participate in pre-development planning of which features are to be implemented.
  2. Participate in an open hackathon during the first weekend, where we explore the possibilities, experiment and do some coding.
  3. Participate in hands on coding, UX/UI design and other development during the focused development week, which will end with us deploying a new and improved version of Dreams.

For those participating only in the weekend hackathon, they will be asked to cover their own travel expenses, but food and accommodation will be covered.

Those who want to work on the developing the platform for the following week will apply. Once accepted, they will receive compensation for their travel, accommodation will be provided for a week, and they will receive some compensation for their work during the week from the Participio project.

I’m looking for some additional funding from other sources to make this week possible, so some details might change.

But for now, are you up for building some serious Dream infrastructure?
For the tech heads, here is the GitHub repository for Dreams.

For now, just let me know:

• Are you interested?
  • What do you want to contribute?
  • Are you available during week 13?
2 Likes

Hi Hugi, as I do not see a netsci implication with Dreams (the way I did see it with Realities), it does not look like I can contribute much. But thanks for offering, and Godspeed to the team.