EarthOS project funding opportunities

Hi everyone,

I’m Andreja and I’m the new EarthOS unit coordinator.

So I would like to share with you some information about the funding possibilities within the new COSME call for proposals Social Economy Missions, https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/other_eu_prog/cosme/wp-call/call-fiche_cos-sme-2020-4-01_en.pdf and new LIFE calls. I made a summary of the calls, and for the short version just read the bolded parts😊
COSME programme is the EU programme for the Competitiveness of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs). It runs from 2014 to 2020 with a planned budget of €2.3bn. But as I mentioned to @nadia and @alberto during today’s call, by the end of this year it is necessary to spend all funds for this programming period 2014-2020, and the rules and conditions are different and simpler for the remaining calls and different initiatives. So this call is no longer for SMEs but for regional and local authorities with similar social economy priorities and accompanied by regional and local social economy stakeholders (social enterprises, cooperatives, SMEs, etc.). Networks and umbrella organisations at various levels (European, national, inter-regional, regional, local) active in the field of social economy will be invited to enrich the missions’ exchanges and mutual learning within the established partnerships, including new, innovative approaches. The “social economy missions” will help to gradually build an ecosystem of players, encouraging the interaction between different partners both at public and private level and thus contributing to development of the European social economy community.

The call will support consortia in developing inter-regional collaboration through sharing and replicating best practices and inter-regional learning, and create opportunities and incentives for future inter-regional partnerships in the field of priorities of “Social economy missions”.

The specific objectives to be achieved through this call for proposals are:

• Enhancing interaction and improving collaboration between existing social economy networks and stakeholders at regional and local level in the field of priorities of “Social economy missions”;

• Boosting inter-regional learning between social economy stakeholders (public and private sector) in the field of priorities of “Social economy missions”;

• Contributing to a gradual building of a Social Economy community.

Deadline for submitting applications 9 June 2020 (indicative starting date of the action February 2021).

The total budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects is estimated at EUR 1 900 000. The maximum grant per project will be EUR 100.000. EASME expects to fund 19 proposals.

Eligible applicants must be legal entities forming a consortium. The coordinator must be a regional or local public administration (such as municipality, city, region, etc.).

Eligible consortia must include at least three different regional or local public administration (such as municipality, city, region, etc.) from three different EU Member States or countries.

In addition to the minimum number of required consortium partners, the following organisations can participate as consortium partners:

• Network or umbrella organisations in the field of social economy or social entrepreneurship or related issues at inter-regional, national, EU or COSME countries’ level.

Possible topics can be: 1. Building resilient regional and/or local ecosystems; 2. Socially responsible public procurement; 3. Building Clusters of Social and Ecological Innovation or participation in traditional clusters; 4. Support to social economy business development; 5. Support to local and regional initiatives in the area of green and digital transition; 6. Local or regional measures tackling unemployment; 7. Sustainable agriculture and rural development; 8. Education and training to develop the social economy ecosystem; 9. The development of horizontal policies to support social economy at local or regional level; 10. Social economy initiatives to integrate migrants; 11. Other (identified by the applicants).

Deliverables:

Minimum requirements for outputs of “social economy missions” include: a) Three workshops b) Three workshop reports with good practices in the field of priority of “social economy mission” as stipulated in the section 2.3, and published at the Social Economy Community collaborative website in requested templates; c) Final report.

4 Likes

Also, another opportunity is LIFE call for proposals. First, there are two open calls, for Environment and Climate action sub-programme, https://ec.europa.eu/easme/en/section/life/calls-proposals.
Certain projects or specific actions could directly or indirectly target problems linked with the management of this type of COVID-19 pandemic.

Environment sub-programme

Climate action sub-programme

30 April 2020 - Virtual Information Day on the 2020 LIFE call for project proposals, https://ec.europa.eu/easme/en/eu-life-information-and-networking-day (I’m already registered)

Second, in spring 2021 will be published 2021 operating grants for NGOs to support them in view of concluding framework partnership agreements (FPAs) and specific grant agreements (SGAs) https://ec.europa.eu/easme/en/section/life/2021-operating-grants-ngos.

1 Like

Thanks for this. you mentioned cofunding, what does this mean in our case if we wanted to apply?

For COSME the grant reimburses up to 90% of the eligible project management costs for personnel,
subcontracting, other direct and indirect costs incurred by the applicants and may reimburse up to
100% of the sum allocated as financial support to third parties, the members of the delegations
participating in the workshops organised by project partners. The sum allocated as financial support
to the delegates participating in a workshop shall take the form of actual costs.

For LIFE in general is less, both sub-programmes co-finance traditional LIFE projects with up to 55% of the total eligible project costs. An exception are nature and biodiversity projects under the environment sub-programme: They can receive up to 60%, or 75% in specific cases.

Preparatory and integrated projects are co-funded with up to 60%. Technical assistance projects can receive a contribution of up to 55%, which cannot exceed EUR 100,000.

co-financing rate in DG REGIO call, that we mentioned, Support for citizen engagement in the implementation of cohesion policy is 85%
https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/tender/doc/propositions/2020_16_bat_012/call_proposals_en.pdf

So something which would make this easier to digest is using the format of a timeline at the top. With the nearest deadline/most urgent one at the top of the list:

• Deadline Date #1, Source of fund, Max amount we can apply for, what Edgeryders activity you think it might be a good fit for this opportunity, What risk it involves for us, and what you need from the rest of the ER team be able to send in an application on time. URL to the call.

• Deadline Date #2, Source of fund, Max amount we can apply for, what Edgeryders activity you think it might be a good fit for this opportunity, What risk it involves for us, and what you need from the rest of the ER team be able to send in an application on time. URL to the call.

Then below add the detailed background information about each call following the same order of the timeline.

• Title of call: Detailed Information about the call

I was thinking about that but since I’m not familiar with your previous experience with LIFE and COSME, I’ve written all the most relevant information to see what could be interesting and then to prepare it in more detail. Especially regarding the Edgeryders activities and other questions, because it would be easier to decide first for which calls we are interested, and who can work on that. I can list general activities that are eligible but all the concrete activities should be planned later when we will have a project team because we won’t have enough time if we are going in too much detail before we even decide about the call.

So, for example, for LIFE is important if you already have some contacts, potential partners (experts in the field of climate and environment) to start with the preparation on time. Or if not, I would recommend to focus on ‘Climate/Environmental governance and information’ call because it supports projects in the areas of awareness raising and capacity building. And it could be related to the Business Development strategy for EarthOS – you can check some of the good examples financed by this LIFE call in the links below. All the other LIFE calls require experts to implement technologies and solutions and it is much more complicated.

I can prepare it in format of a timeline but please tell me should I focus only on COSME and these two LIFE calls or all the calls I’ve listed?

Links:

The Project | LIFE DEBAG (LIFE14 GIE/GR/001127), LIFE DEBAG (LIFE14 GIE/GR/001127) | Oλοκληρωμένη εκστρατεία ενημέρωσης και ευαισθητοποίησης για τη μείωση της πλαστικής σακούλας στο θαλάσσιο περιβάλλον
https://www.doppelplus.tirol/en/home

Following Up
Hi @alberto, @nadia, regarding the deadlines for C-KIC and previous email, when we were talking last Friday about CLIMATE-KIC, @alberto you told me that nothing is urgent so far but it would be great if there are some things that can already be transferred to me to familiarize myself with, especially for the reporting and deadlines. Also to ask them for the username and everything needed for the Portal, calls, etc.

As well, today we agreed that I will contact my colleagues in regions regarding the COSME and the Horizon 2020 Energy Efficiency call, EASME | Executive Agency for SMEs, especially the „Mitigating household energy poverty (EC-2)“, Funding & tenders, call and the opportunities regarding the social housing and energy poverty they are working on. @marina has already sent me all the required information, about ER profile, relevant previous projects and WPs. So I will initiate things and keep you posted. Let me know if you need anything else.

1 Like

Nadia and I discussed this today. This is not a very attractive call, because the money is too little to be spread four ways, especially if we are expected to be doing all the work in terms of preparing the application. However, we have found a way to make this work in this case.

@andreja can you give us an estimate of how tough the competition is? The idea is: if the competition is keen, the money is not much, and the application process is complicated… we stay out. Ideally, we would want calls with fairly low competition levels, lots of money and simple application processes :slight_smile:

Hm, that exists?:slight_smile:
They will finance 19 projects in total (it’s not so bad, last call financed only 5 projects), so the minimum score should be 90 points. It depends a lot on the consortium, so if we manage to build a strong consortium, it is possible. But I should have that information soon, if the most active regions are not interested to participate, then better to stay out. The application process is not complicated, very similiar to Interreg applications. Section A description of the action, Section B: Action: objectives, management structures and work plan, and detailed budget.
Comparing to DG REGIO call The maximum grant is EUR 25 000.
The Commission expects to fund 10 proposals…

1 Like

Ok ping us here when you have more information.

1 Like

Can this topic go to a public space, please?

moved

We are looking out for managing authorities with whom to partner around some our ongoing and upcoming initiatives. Perhaps this might be of interest to people in @bob 's orbit?

What do you mean by “managing authorities” in the context of future projects? Hoping all well with you!!!

You mean as an expert to evaluate tenders and project proposals, monitor projects and assist with designing policies and programmes?

no, thinking moreas partners for consortia. We want to build some solid strategic alliances around longer term impact goals of our climate & eco work, rather than chemical weddings. And a good way to get such dialogues going is in the context of building bids together, because there is a deadline to work towards in developing your ideas, getting to know what is important to each other, processes, culture etc

I’ve been better. Reeling after a horrid incident yesterday - Noemi and I were zoom bombed by a pedophile :frowning:

Are you in confinement too? Everyone ok at your end?

This is a technical term for the public authorities in charge of managing European cohesion funds, like the European Regional Development Fund. They vary across different EU countries. In Italy and Belgium, it’s regions. In Germany it’s Länder.

Wow. Sounds terrible Nadia! You and Noemi ok?
I’m fine thanks, trying to adjust, like everyone, to a ‘new normal’. Strict confinement here at least for a further 3 weeks - might be longer!

1 Like