Edgeryders from Belarus: What’s this blog all about

Available in: :gb: English / :ru: Russian

:gb: English version

I want to inform everyone that Edgeryders have entered the Belarusian territory and will be supporting and working together with UNDP Belarus within their Spot the Future program. I will tell you more about myself in the next blog, first let me explain what Edgeryders will do in Belarus, why they will do this, and what my role is in this initiative.

UNDP’s mission: The UN facilitated an inclusive national consultation process to identify priorities for the Post-2015 development agenda In Belarus. The consultations were an open dialogue with special emphasis on vulnerable groups. Urban and rural dwellers, women and men, academia, civil society organizations and minority groups, private sector and trade unions could get their voices heard and envision a future they want for themselves.

UN recognizes that citizens have valuable knowledge that is currently under-used when planning and designing projects, strategies and development interventions. They also may have additional advantages that UN agencies lack, e.g. living in a certain region or having access to certain information.

In addition, both UN as a whole and UNDP are investing more on youth engagement. For instance the soon to be published UNDP youth strategy embraces youth as a positive force for transformative change and encourages country offices to develop initiatives to enhance youth civic engagement and participation in politics and economic sphere. The initiatives can either build on good practices of the past or introduce innovative solutions for the future.

UNDP Belarus is taking the challenge seriously to engage youth more successfully in designing projects, strategies and development interventions. Belarusian youth should to be building the society they want for themselves. Here, traditional ways of engaging the public might seem outdated and the need to design more up-to-date and innovative solutions needs to be recognized.

The next question would be, how to engage citizens to communicate to UNDP Belarus both the issues they are facing and the solutions/initiatives they are already have to address those?

And this is where Edgeryders comes in: with their Spot the Future (STF) methodology, a foresight exercise that connects social innovators in the participant countries and engages them in a global conversation to figure out the challenges and solutions together. Spot the Future methodology in Belarus will start with a series of Blogs that will be written by me, Masha Cheriakova, about a number of social innovators in Belarus. I will dive in the edge of the society and do field work, identify and plan meetings with social innovators. I will be writing about their stories, what they are doing and why. Also I will touch upon what barriers they face and what they need in their efforts to improve Belarus for the better. In addition to identifying these local change makers and the collection of their stories it is important for us and UNDP to ensure that these voices of different societal groups will be heard and used for formulating the second UNDAF and UN programs and projects in Belarus. We also aim to broaden the dialogue between citizens in Belarus, between citizens and UN and between citizen and the public sector.

Lets start with this new Edgeryders adventure in Belarus. Enjoy the blogs and please don’t hesitate to ask or add any comments! It will be my pleasure to answer any question or accept any good advice!

Ps: Special thanks to Kseniya Sidorovich for her help in translating this blog into Russian.

##:ru: Russian version

Хочу рассказать вам о том, что команда Edgeryders приехала в Беларусь и будет работать вместе с ПРООН в Беларуси в рамках проекта “Spot the future”. Подробнее о себе я расскажу в следующем блоге, а сейчас вы узнаете, чем команда Edgeryders будет заниматься в Беларуси, почему они будут это делать эти и какова моя роль в этом проекте.

Миссия ПРООН: Организация Объединенных Ннаций стала инициатором проведения национальных консультаций, цель которых - определение приоритетов развития Беларуси после 2015 г. Консультации проходили в форме открытого диалога, в котором особый акцент был сделан на уязвимые группы населения. Городские и сельские жители, мужчины и женщины, научные сотрудники, гражданское общество, организации и представители меньшинств, частный сектор и профсоюзы имели возможность высказать свою позицию и представить свой взгляд на будущее, в котором они хотят жить.

Организация Объединенных Наций признает, что жители страны обладают ценными знаниями, которые в настоящее время недостаточно используются при планировании и разработке проектов, стратегий и мероприятий в области развития. Эти знания могут быть дополнительными ценными преимуществами для агентств ООН, например, проживание в определенном регионе или доступ к определенной информации.

Кроме того, ООН в целом и ПРООН в частности прилагают больше усилий для вовлечения молодежи. В скором времени будет опубликована молодежная стратегия ПРООН, которая видит в молодых людях положительную силу для трансформационных изменений и призывает страновые офисы развивать инициативы по повышению молодежной гражданской активности, участию в политике и экономической сфере. Реализация инициатив может основываться как на успешных примерах прошлого, так и на инновационных решения для будущего.

ПРООН в Беларуси серьезно относится к вопросу успешного вовлечения молодежи в разработку проектов, стратегий и мероприятий в области развития. Молодежь Беларуси должна строить общество, в котором она хочет жить. В такой ситуации традиционные способы вовлечения общества могут показаться устаревшими, в связи с чем внимание должно уделяться разработке более современных и инновационных решений.

Вслед за этим возникает вопрос, как стимулировать граждан вступить в диалог с ПРООН в Республике Беларусь с тем, чтобы определить проблемы, с которыми они сталкиваются сегодня, а также услышать решения/ инициативы, которые уже зародились в обществе.

Команда «Edgeryders» призвана работать именно в этом направлении: с помощью методики «Spot the future»; действиях, направленных на стремительное развитие, которые соединяют новаторов в социальной сфере в странах-участницах и вовлекают в глобальный диалог, чтобы выявить проблемы и вместе найти их решения. «Spot the future» стартует в Беларуси с серии Блогов, которые будут написаны мною, Машей Черяковой. В этих блогах я расскажу о социальных новаторах в Беларуси.

Я погружусь в эту отрасль и проведу исследование, найду тех, кто идет вперед в социальной сфере, и встречусь с ними за личной беседой. Я буду рассказывать истории этих людей, почему они занимаются своим делом и какое оно их дело. Мне также интересно узнать, какие трудности они встречают на своем пути и что еще необходимо новаторам, чтобы делать Беларусь лучше.

Помимо поиска этих людей, которые инициируют хорошие перемены, и написания блогов о них, как для EdgeRyders, так и для ПРООН важно убедиться, что голоса представителей разных социальных групп будут приняты во внимание при формулировании второй рамочной программы ООН, а также организации проектов в Беларуси. Мы также движемся в направлении расширения диалога между жителями Беларуси, ООН и гражданами, расширения диалога между государственным сектором и гражданами страны.

Давайте дадим начало этому приключению Edgeryders в Беларуси. Желаем вам получать удовольствие от чтения блогов. Смело пишите свои комментарии и задавайте вопросы. Буду рада найти ответы на то, что вам хочется узнать, а также рада услышать Ваши хорошие советы.

P.S. Спасибо Ксении Сидорович за перевод на русский язык.

3 Likes

A format to prototype

Hi Masha, it’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m Noemi, Alberto’s colleague and in love with Edgeryders since its early days. I was also heavily involved in Spot the Future, the Georgia and Armenia exercise, so very curious to see where this tweaked approach leads us. The editorialising of content from real project examples and interviews is something we need to do more of anyway. By we I mean community members based in different places in Europe (and beyond) and wanting to make meet the work of Edgeryders globally with local initiatives… everywhere one looks there’s so much potential and more importantly, there’s a lot to learn from each other.

While getting started with the blog series, why don’t you tell us more about you? so you came back from the Netherlands with a fresh approach to start up in Belarus, while staying to live and work from there… is that common among youth in the country?

RE: A format to prototype

Hi Noemi,

Pleasure to e-meet you! Thank you for your interest, It just so happens that I started writing my second blog to introduce myself . In this blog I will explain more about how I ended up in Belarus and what I have been doing there so far. Tomorrow I will post it.

It would be great to hear your experiences with Spot the future. Maybe you have some tips about how I can make the blogs better and more effective for the readers?

Hi from Georgia!

Hi Masha, great to hear Spot the Future will be happening in Belarus as well! I was the community builder in Georgia for this project, so I am very interested to see what will happen in Belarus! Also, I heard that Generation by Vola Kuzmitsch is very active in Belarus, already in touch with them?

And if you have any questions on the process in Georgia, please let me know!