Edgeryders from Belarus: Yauheni Klishevich - Talaka

Available in: :gb: English / :ru: Russian

:gb: English version

It is great to see how many young people in Belarus encounter a problem and actively try to offer solutions for it. A problem Yauheni tries to battle is the limitations that social projects encounter that stops them from growing. He believes that by working together many social problems can be tackled. That is why Yauheni founded 1,5 years ago an organization called ‘Talaka.by platform’ that has now over 3000 people connected to it. ‘Talaka’ is an ancient Belarusian word that stands for ‘working in cooperation’ and it may not surprise you that mission of Talaka.by is to create a platform for solving common problems by shared efforts.

Yauheni came up with this idea when he was in England and has seen many initiatives and social projects from close. He couldn’t wait to come back home and develop Talaka. When I asked about what inspired him the most he answered me that it was his highschool a Lyceum in Minsk that basically gave him this ambitions and the will to act. This school has very good teachers that are considered as one of the best in the country and Yuaheni has developed himself a lot as a solution thinker during his time in this Lyceum.

So what is Talaka.by platform? What elements does it consist of? Many, I can tell you! I will list several:

1. Talaka.by is a crowd-sourcing platform for social initiatives. Social projects can register on Talaka.by and find support and connections for there project. Yauheni told me proudly that for example a year ago Mivia (Ludmila Skradal’s project) started on Talaka.by platform!

2. Talaka.School is an educational part of the platform: for social entrepreneurs and it also contains a series of offline educational events. Through this school initiatives get the basic tools on how to start a social business. Learning about business models etc. Many social initiatives went through these free and open courses.

3. Talaka.Afisha is an online calendar for promoting social events.

4. Talaka.Meetup is a series of meet-ups platform where the focus is on knowledge sharing and discussions on variety of topics.

5. Talaka.Party is an entertainment format of leisure for the community where people can get to know each other offline, and thus are able to create stronger connections.

6. Talaka.Mag is an online journal about social entrepreneurs, social activists and social projects. This Journal is coming soon.

Behind Yauheni stands a team of very motivated 6 young people that share the same mission as he does. Of course they also have a pool of volunteers helping Talaka.by achieve its goals.

Yauheni understood that while Crowdsourcing is very useful and powerful cooperation and connection tool, also financing is required when you want to support social initiatives in a sustainable way. Therefore Yauheni’s team is currently working on adding a Crowdfunding module on Talaka.by platform so they can effectively support social initiatives not only by providing crowdsourcing but funding as well!

:ru: Russian version

Здорово наблюдать, как многие молодые люди в Беларуси видят проблемы и активно пытаются предлагать для них решения. Проблема, с которой борется Евгений препятствия, с которыми сталкиваются социальные проекты и в результате останавливают свое развитие. Евгений уверен, что, работая вместе, можно решить многие социальные проблемы. Именно поэтому 1,5 года назад он основал платформу Talaka.by. Сейчас более 3000 человек участвуют в жизни платформы. “Талака” древнее белорусское слово, которое означает сход людей, которые совместными силами решают общие проблемы.

Вы не удивитесь, если узнаете, что миссия Talaka.by включать людей в совместное решение общих проблем. Идея создания такой платформы не родилась в результате озарение, а вызревала и формиравалась довольно длительный срок. Воодушевление для работы над платформой Евгений получил путешествия по Великобритании, а осознание необходимости создания платформы получил знакомясь и участвуя в жизни различных белорусских инициатив и социальных проектов. По словах Евгения в значительной степени на него в своё время повлиял Лицей БГУ в Минске, в котором он учился. Лицей заложил в него не только амбициозность и стремление действовать, но также особое “небезразличие” к своей стране.

Итак, что же такое платформа Talaka.by? Из каких элементов она состоит? Их множество!

Я перечислю лишь несколько:

• 1.Talaka.by является краудсорсинговой платформой для социальных инициатив. Социальные проекты могут зарегистрироваться на Talaka.by и найти необходимую поддержку, начиная от первичной консульации проектного консультанта по проджект менеджменту и помощи в осознании что и зачем делаеться, и заканчивая информационной поддержкой и доступом к большой базе активных людей, которые сами придут к вам, чтобы помочь. Евгений с гордостью сказал, что, например, год назад Mivia (проект Людмилы Скрадаль) начался на платформе Talaka.by!

• 2.Talaka.Школа представляет собой образовательную частью платформы: это курсы для социальных предпринимателей + ряд образовательных мероприятий. Благодаря этой школе инициативы могут развиться в настоящие проекты и получить знания на тему того, как начать социальный бизнес, как понять значимость решаемой проблемы, как собрать заинтерисованых людей в помощь и т.д. Многие социальные инициативы прошли через этот бесплатный и доступный для всех курс.

• 3.Talaka.Афиша это интернеткалендарь для продвижения общественных и неформальных мероприятий.

• 4.Talaka.Meetup включает в себя серию встреч, где основное внимание уделяется обмену знаниями и обсуждению актулаьных тем.

• 5.Talaka.Party это развлекательный формат досуга для сообществ. Здесь люди могут узнать друг друга, собравшись вместе, и, таким образом, способны создать более крепкие связи и делиться идеями и планами.

• 6.Talaka.Mag задуман как интернетжурнал о социальных предпринимателях, общественных деятелях и социальных проектах. Журнал появится уже в ближайшее время.

Вместе с Евгением работает еще 6 человек команда очень мотивированных молодых людей, которые разделяют идею и миссию Talaka.by. Конечно, достичь своих целей проекту помогает множество волонтеров и партнёров.

Евгений понял, что в то время как краудсорсинг является очень полезным и мощным инструментом для сотрудничества и установления связей, необходимо также и финансирование проекта, чтобы поддерживать социальные инициативы на постоянной основе. Поэтому команда Евгения сейчас работает над созданием нового модуля по сбору средств (краудфандинг) на платформе Talaka.by, чтобы иметь возможность эффективно поддерживать социальные инициативы и с помощью краудсорсинга и с помощью краудфандинга!

1 Like

Challenges of setting up something like this?

Hi Masha,

Thanks for sharing this. I am curious about the back story and process.

Do you know how Yauheni went about building the intitiative?

What difficulties or challenges they faced and if they managed to solve them, how?

What things are working well, what things are working less well and why?

I know it’s not your intention, but in the cultural context of Edgeryders the content it is not clear how you would like us to engage with your post. The reason being that when something is presented as being “complete”, I interpret it as meaning there is no intention to share or learn from experiences around building something…

This looks like a key resource!

I browsed the list of projects: fantastic stuff! My favourite is the Museum of Electronic Music.

Also, I like the data model: it is a task list, GitHub-style (we use the same here on Edgeryders). I would be really curious to talk to Yauheni to figure out how many of these are actually picked up per day or week, how they are updated (at the time of pickup “I will do this”? Or later, when the task is actually completed?).

The community (if it is a community, the platform does not seem to be designed for people to communicate with each other across different projects the way that, for example, Edgeryders is – see web of interaction on http://edgeryders.edgesense.spazidigitali.com) seems super-interesting for STF Belarus. @masha_cheriakova, can we ask Yauheni to send a blast to his crowd in view of our next workshop?

Sorry for my late reply…

I will ask Yauheni to write about his learnings and challenges. Most of them involve some state issues that I did not want to write about. Maybe Yauheni would like to share this with us himself.

I already asked Yauheni about the workshop, he will be there himself and Talaka’s creative directors and hopefully more people.

On a note!

Just saw Talaka is participating in UNDP’s Technology for Citizen Engagement Challenge. One day is left to vote for them and lend a hand :slight_smile: