Edgeryders Outwards and NGI Forward - scaling futures collectively

~

The Research Network has won a second proposal as a part of the EU Research and Innovation programme, Horizon 2020. This will will see us starting two Horizon2020 projects double the size of OPENCARE each from 2019 - 2021. It will also see Edgeryders in full flight and you are invited to join in.

The first project is POPREBEL, as briefly introduced in this post and a research project to address populism and boost democratic engagement

The second project is NGI Forward, and is a part of the topic Next Generation Internet - An Open Internet Initiative. It’s focused on “developing a more human-centric Internet supporting values of openness, cooperation across borders, decentralisation, inclusiveness and protection of privacy; giving the control back to the users in order to increase trust in the Internet.” You can read more on the topic here. Edgeryders is a key member in the project focused on harnessing collective intelligence to inform long term strategies and policies for the future of the internet. As you can imagine, THIS IS EPIC.

We’ll be sharing more on both projects once grant agreements are signed, and taking it slow to prepare but drop us a line below if you’re interested in learning more and why.

For now, this is just a little heads up that Edgeryders is scaling and that from 2019 this space is going to spark.

[Image credit: Richard B Clark “Peacock”]

8 Likes

CONGRATS Edgeryders team! This is epic, and @anique.yael a boost to you on coordinating!

2 Likes

Hi two projects that might be of interest to this strand

If you have any questions there’s a really friendly forum https://safenetforum.org

• Scuttlebutt/ Manyverse is a decent(ralised) secure gossip platform small hermies love
    sea-slang for gossip - a scuttlebutt is basically a watercooler on a ship.
    https://www.scuttlebutt.nz

Manyverse is a social network mobile app with features you would expect: posts, threads, likes, profiles, etc. But it’s not running in the cloud owned by a company, instead, your friends’ posts and all your social data live entirely in your phone.

I use Scuttlebutt myself and love it. @alberto is also in the Scuttleverse. People developing it are pretty close to my circles. I would love to be involved in outreach to that community.

1 Like

Great to hear from you @rosettaphone and it seems we’re being linked up across a few intersecting threads (ie. Rob from the IoT Council’s email between us yesterday also). Talk about a synch. I’m just traveling right now but will take a look at all the links/media you shared with Rob and here and be in touch.

1 Like

Ok so yes, clearly worthy of talking more! Let’s VoIP with those of us interested (ping @hugi @alberto) and perhaps Rob will join us too.

Both @hugi and @alberto are involved in the Particip.io hackathon at OurGhema in Tunisia from late next week so I propose Wednesday morning as a first port of call. More synchronicity awaiting us perhaps - ie. does it suit you? If not, we can try for the following week.

I’m interested in the NGI Forward!

Is anyone playing with interplanetary file system? InterPlanetary File System - Wikipedia

I’m looking for an ‘on ramp’ going from theory to practical usage.

1 Like