Federated Discourse Forums (Application at Prototype Fund)

The following is a copy&paste version of the application I sent to Prototype Fund today. I had to apply under my own name / business identity, as the fund is only open for projects in Germany. But the idea and outcomes is related to Edgeryders, namely extending the software running Edgeryders Communities.

The application is written in German, but you can read a machine translated version in English.

Has Likes

That looks super interesting Matt! Is there any space where you can actually see a whole list of communities based on Discourse?

The largest list I know of is the Discourse customer list. That’s 1500+ Discourse sites using the “official” discourse.org hosting offer, but excludes the sites doing self-hosting (like we do) or using hosting offers at competing hosting providers (there are some now).

Another interesting data point: self-reported monthly revenue of Discourse :astonished:

Has Likes

There is also https://trends.builtwith.com/websitelist/Discourse (builtwith.com is a service to analyse the tech stack a website uses, but I think part is paywalled). Same is true for https://www.shodan.io/search?query=discourse. Similar service, but more for hackers.

Has Likes

Way to go, @matthias! Well done!

Has Likes

For reference: the above application did not get funded.

That’s a pity. Mine (farsharing, on Github) got rejected, too.

I will me at the makers4humanity Lab over the weekend. If we get too bored or have enough interest, we might play around with a federated setup in a hackathon. If so, we will take your posts into account and would propose improvements if we’d find some.

Has Likes

Schade… :frowning:

Has Likes

update: I did not use the time where I was bored to do that :slight_smile:

@matthias: BUT I was just reading this: https://edgeryders.eu/t/upcoming-community-call-any-news-ad-based-economy/10122/4 and had an idea for a discourse plugin:

When a user inserts a link to e.g. google docs, the plugin would automatically present some information like:

You are referencing the webpage ABC. This can be considered problematic because of 123. These services are considered as an alternative: X, Y, Z . >click here< to change the link.

Of course this needs more serious considerations (there shouldnt be censorship; and who should “judge” the external references by which criteria? And who is to choose the alternatives? I guess there would be multiple valid solutions, but it sure would need some thought-love, which I don’t want to put in right now.

If the topic for the next prototypefund would match well and/or you (or somebody else) are able to find other funding, I offer my help in laying out some more groundwork, pitch an application and help with the implementation.

Has Likes

Oh, I like that idea :slight_smile: As a way to fight back, that could be quite effective (when deployed on larger forums and the like).

Haven’t seen that approach in a forum so far … it would be a new one. The closest thing I know is the list of “anti-features” for packages in the F-Droid repo of open source Android applications.