Finish the papers! Last call

Agreed here – our subject matter isn’t the deep past stuff that they are looking for. Though it’s a shame as it’d be very easy for me to attend/present :smiley:

also, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help wrap up the SSNA paper!

1 Like

Hi guys, I had a stab at wrapping up the OpenCare paper. I only need a few things:

• @markomanka I did some editing, including to section 4.3 (yours). My goal was to have shorter sentences and simpler syntax. Doing this, I found something I don’t understand. You write:

It descends from the above that an empirical divergence can be computed from compression \cite{Merh93} that would suit the requirements of a universal classifier.

A divergence between what and what else? What is a universal classifier?

• @markomanka I do not understand items 2 and 3 on page 10. Maybe we should have a call?
  • The work of comparing different methods to reduce the graph I started with @melancon and @jason_vallet is not finished, but I think we have waited too long and we should submit now.
  • @amelia can you lead the submission process?

Thanks for this @Alberto, things have been busy lately and I appreciate you pushing this forward.

Can do. Do we have a journal that we’re already looking at, or shall I search for something appropriate?

If we don’t have a plan yet, I vote we shoot high and submit to Social Networks.

@melancon had proposed Social Science Computer Review - I think we chose this also based on the Editorial board (for anthro: Michael Fischer. Rings a bell?). This is also why I am asking you to review for a right “hi-tech anthro” gloss. Failing that, a new journal, the Journal of Computational Social Science. See here. Social networks obviously attractive, again Guy will have a better sense of how good a fit that it.

I’m about to submit the paper (reformatting to fit the journal requirements now), but need everyone to fill two forms out (the Author Information Form and the Copyright Permission Form) and email them to the editor at garson@ncsu.edu. Preferably do this by Monday EOB!

You can find both here: https://faculty.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/SSCORE/library.htm

@alberto @jason_vallet @melancon @markomanka

I also need:

Bioskech of 1-3 sentences w/ email contact for each author and coauthor, following body

Just a heads up: H2020-funded publications are subject to the constraint of publishing in Open Access. SSRC supports green OA. We can (and should) publish the submitted version to Zenodo upon submission. The accepted version can be posted to OA repos only after 12 months of publication (source). Going gold OA costs 3K USD, and I refuse to pay it.

The Copyright Permission Form can be done by the lead author only, so I’m taking care of it. Can please @melancon @jason_vallet and @markomanka:

1. fill in their own Author information forms
  2. send them to garson@ncsu.edu, cc Amelia.
  3. Send Amelia their biosketches.

My biosketch:

Economist and network scientist, expert on online collaboration, collective intelligence, and participatory, networked organization. Worked with governments and inter-governmental organizations in various capacities; now entrepreneuring at Edgeryders, and civic hacking with Wikitalia and Spaghetti Open Data.

@alberto, do you want your PhD candidacy at alicante in your biosketch?

Do you think it’s relevant? (Ok, you obviously do. Thanks for doing the work. You can leave my biosketch as it is).

1 Like

Biosketches as they stand. please add, delete or edit at will as long as it’s done quickly!

Biosketches

Alberto Cottica is Head of Research at Edgeryders and a PhD Candidate in Quantitative Economics at the University of Alicante. Economist and network scientist, expert on online collaboration, collective intelligence, and participatory, networked organization. Worked with governments and inter-governmental organizations in various capacities; now entrepreneuring at Edgeryders, and civic hacking with Wikitalia and Spaghetti Open Data. Contact: alberto@edgeryders.eu.

Amelia Hassoun is an anthropologist at the Oxford Internet Institute. She holds a BA in Anthropology from Yale University, an MSc in Digital Anthropology from University College London, and an MA in Sociocultural Anthropology from the University of Minnesota. She is currently a PhD Candidate at the University of Oxford. Contact: amelia.hassoun@oii.ox.ac.uk.

Marco Manca is co-founder of the SCImPULSE foundation and a scientific attaché at CERN. SCimPulse is active in R&I projects on big data analytics for healthcare, sustainable and biological agriculture, new financial and banking models, empowerment of differently abled individuals, and smart and adaptive electronics. Contact: marco@scimpulse.org.

Jason Vallet is PhD candidate at LaBRI, a research laboratory at the University of Bordeaux, whose work focuses on information visualisation, visual analytics, network analytics, and graph rewriting problems. He is attached to the EDMI doctoral school and is part of the research group EVADoMe within the MABioVis team. Contact: jason.vallet@u-bordeaux.fr

Guy Melancon is a Professor at LaBRI, University of Bordeaux. He holds a PhD in Combinatorial Mathematics from Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada. Contact: guy.melancon@u-bordeaux.fr

It is done. :smiley:

1 Like

I also already sent in the info.

1 Like

Alright all, we have been told the paper is out of scope for SSCR.

I vote we target a more explicitly methods focused journal, like this one:

http://journals.sagepub.com/home/fmx

Any other ideas?

@alberto @melancon

https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=aimsScope&journalCode=tsrm20

http://journals.sagepub.com/home/mmr

Personally my vote is for Field Methods.

Give me the go ahead and I’ll reformat and submit.

Go ahead! And thanks.

Have you come across this paper?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1094428116633872

1 Like