Five seminars to stay in touch with each other

The Edgeryders does research like it does everyhting else: as a network. People move in and out of the network’s core, bringing in fresh ideas as they pursue their own interest. This decentralized mode of operation is very free (and, we think, efficient), but it can make it hard to stay on top of what everybody is doing. So, we’ve decided to resort to the time-honored tradition of the seminar, where people who have done substantial work outside of the Edgeryders space can let the network know about it.

For now, we have scheduled five of them, all fully virtual.

1. Samantha Cenere, Sustainability in cities. Samantha, an urban geographer, looks at how city-dwellers use digital tools for a more sustainable living. Friday 25th February at 16:00 CET – Registration
  2. Martin Bohle, Geoethics, bridging geoSTEM and social sciences. Martin, an Earth scientist, introduces us to geoethics, the application of ethical thinking to Earth science, and make a case for social scientists to get involved with it. Tuesday, 22 March at 16:00 CET – Registration, abstract
  3. :new: Alberto Cottica and Jan Kubik, Comparing techniques for reducing networks of codes co-occurrence in ethnography, Monday 11th April at 16.00 CET. When your ethnographic corpus is large, representing it as a network of co-occurring codes might help your intuition of the big picture behind the data. However, these networks tend to have their own challenges, because they are often large and dense. Alberto, a network scientist, and Jan, an anthropologist, showcase some possible approaches to reducing these networks in a theoretically grounded, accountable way. AbstractJoin here, no registration required.
  4. Marco Manca, AI on the battlefield. Marco, a medical doctor and epistemologist, will report on the discussion about introducing automated response systems in defense. Tuesday 19th April at 16:00 CET– Registration
  5. :new: Ton Zijlstra, Into the European Data Space. The proposed EU legal framework for digitisation and data, creates the European Data Space. It does so by tying socio-economic benefits, including towards policy goals like the Green Deal, to citizen rights and values, and using them to define market access and rules for data use. The framework is the EU’s geopolitical proposition for everything digital. The European Data Space is where it finds its practical implementation. How will ER move into data space? – Registration

If you feel close to the Edgeryders community and want to give a seminar too, DM me, and we can discuss it. Really looking forward!

1 Like

Wishing all good luck and interesting discussions at the seminar, tomorrow (25/2). I hope @alberto the initiative takes off. I got bound in pressing family matters, which keep me distant from my place and PC. - best regards, Martin

2 Likes

@samantha.cenere I did not thought about it before (shame on me!) but would you have some kind of abstract we can look at beforehand, and maybe even share?

Also ping @ivan, @nadia, @jean_russell, @markomanka. Not directly operational, obviously, but thinking together and possibly orienting some of our future research activities.

1 Like

ok I registered for tomorrow"s event!

1 Like

Hi @alberto! No, I haven’t prepared an abstract, it is meant to be a basic presentation of the idea of the project and of the very preliminary reflections I had on it during these weeks. We can definetely discuss about possible future paths for research in the afternoon!

Hello @alberto ! Dear All - I attach an abstract for my contribution.
AbstractEdgeryders_seminar23March2022.pdf (128.1 KB)
best regards, Martin

p.s. Just in time: Phronesis at the Human-Earth Nexus: Managed Retreat

2 Likes

Hello @poprebel! As agreed, I am going to host the POPREBEL seminar on April 11th, with @Jan’s precious contribution (I think @Richard is not available, unfortunately). We will be showing some network magic to make sense of large networks of ethnographic codes:

Plese note that the Zoom link is different from the ones we used before. Also, registration is required (but you can register on the spot). Both the registration and the seminar are here.

1 Like

Hello @poprebel, thanks for attending the seminar. Slides and presenter’s notes are here. The paper itself is here.

1 Like

The Edgeryders YouTube channel has videos for @MartinBohle’s and @markomanka’s seminars.

1. Geoethics: bridging geo-STEM and the social sciences
  2. AI on the battlefield
1 Like

I loved them both, thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

That was a nice session this afternoon. Thank you for inviting me @alberto and fun to see familiar faces, some since a very a long time. I’ve uploaded the slides to Into The EU Dataspace – Ton Zijlstra Presentations where you’ll find both embed code and PDF download. (I host my own slides and embeds so if you embed, there’s no tracking)

2 Likes

The video from Ton’s seminar is now online.

For completeness, I remind everyone that we also have videos from other seminars:

1 Like

thanks Alberto, I watched my self back. Always a bit odd to do but also useful to better express myself next time. It’s a developing story we’re all embarked on, so many more iterations of this discussion to come.

@TamaraFoubert, as discussed this is the thread where you can find links to the video and slides from @ton’ s seminar. Also, he posted an interesting reference (in Dutch) here: Is it useful to provide a guide to EU Data legislation?.

I am sure that Tin himself will be up for answering any questions you might have. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @TamaraFoubert , Yes, happy to help, if I can. Since May there has been some more movement on the various laws concerned. The link in Dutch that @alberto shared will be updated with those developments in the coming 2 weeks, now that I’m back after my summer vacation. That Dutch link is mostly meant for the perspective of Dutch government data holders, specifically geodata holders. Is there a specific angle that is relevant to you?

1 Like

Thank you, @ton . I’m just trying to get a quick overview of this field, although I must admit a bit more on the technical side of it than the regulatory aspects. In the light of a job application for Digitaal Vlaanderen, in specific the Smart Data & Smart Cities departments (They are among others involved in the DUET, URBANAGE and COMPAIR projects.).

I’m looking for someone who can bring me up to speed because I’m currently more involved in business and e-commerce application development.

1 Like

In that case I think it would make sense to talk to Pieter Colpaert (ao Open Knowledge Belgium). See https://pietercolpaert.be/ He’s been involved with smart cities Flanders efforts, and the people of Digitaal Vlaanderen. I’ve met some of the Digitaal Vlaanderen before the summer, but as that is where you are applying that’s not fitting I suppose. Shall I send an intro to you and Pieter (in Dutch, I assume?). If so let me know which mailaddress you want me to use.

Good call! Even though, I have to say I have failed conspicuously to embed myself in the OD scene in Belgium. It seems somehow more commercial than in Italy: for example, in BXL for a while there lived a majestic space called DigitYser that brought together the open data, AI and IOT communities. I tried to go to their events, but they felt quite corporate, all about “jobs and growth”. I am sure I have been looking in the wrong places, and would welcome pointers.

Thank you, I sent you PM