FOSS techschool in Stockholm

Hello!

I’m Elenor, I study at changecourse.se, exploring social entrepreneurship and leadership.

I also run the platform https://handlingar.se/ where you can request public documents and use freedom of information law digital.

And in a few weeks you will hear me in Civic Tech Swedens new podcast about civic tech. https://civictech.se/

During this year I have been exploring and researching what tech initiatives there are in Stockholm for children and youth to learn tech outside of regular school as a leisure activity.

With the emerging shortage of 70 000 IT-workers per year in Sweden (such as programmers, developers, technicians https://www.itot.se/2017/11/it-kompetensbristen-en-rapport-om-den-svenska-digitala-sektorns-behov-av-spetskompetens/), Sweden is in danger of falling behind when it comes to digitalisation and internet development. I believe that if we introduce and teach tech to youth early, there is a bigger chance they would have an interest in the topic later in life, and even when “choosing” a career.

I want to start a tech-school that compliments the other tech-initiatives in Stockholm.

Ideally this tech school would:

Teach and use FOSS

Not be on a volunteering basis

Be outside of Stockholm, where the other initiatives does not reach. (And in the future, the whole of Sweden)

Also focus on schools and teachers, change school curriculums to focus more on tech and educate about opportunities of programs for learning.

Some of the question I still have to think more about:

How this school would survive economical

How to teach and use FOSS (and how you only do that?)

The basic layout of the school.

Who to collaborate with.

Please reach out if you have any experience or comments about this.

I hope to see a lot of you at the Teaching Teachers Open Source workshop in a few weeks!

5 Likes

Welcome! I will be at the workshop. Very happy to see you here on Edgeryders. I also run the Blivande house where the workshop will be hosted.

1 Like

Hey Elenor, welcome to Edgeryders :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Cool! See you there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

ping @erik_lonroth super interesting people at your workshop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m reading all the exciting posts and I’ll spend next week updating and interacting as much as I can. Its overwhelming how much potential this community has.

I think this workshop has potential to be something special.

3 Likes

@ellewe , just a quick reminder for the Edgeryders Teaching Teachers Open Source workshop.

The workshop takes place tomorrow:

28:th November - 10:00 - 17:00+

Södra Hamnvägen 9 (Hus Blivande, Directions 1 here)

Lunch included (nice and vegetarian)

Would be a perfect fit for you!

Hej Elenor!
Hope all is well with you and loved ones in the chaos. Your project and questions came to mind during a recent conversation with @iouxo about remote work as an engine for economic development of peripheral regions. We discussed some ideas for exploring this further, maybe this is of interest to you?

@erik_lonroth might be something you would be interested in too?

1 Like

I’m interested in all thing FOSS which has to do with also fostering new generations of internet citizens.

Finding ways of reaching out to the community is getting better and better.