#Futurespotters at Global Shapers event

Hey you all,

Together with Global Shapers Bucharest and the Aspen Fellows Network (from the Aspen Young Leaders program), @Alex_Stef, @oana.toiu and myself have cooked up an event on open networks where we get to talk about the EdgeRyders model globally, and of course Spot the Future. The crowd should make for an interesting one - for me it will be new just like everything in the city. Join us? If you’d like to represent the emerging Futurespotters community even better, we could do the presentation together.

Email registration is open until June 28th, at bucharest@globalshapers.org. Mention your interest in the event and network affiliations if any. Contact: Ciprian Stanescu, Curator Global Shapers, 0752199149

Also keep an eye on the event page on facebook. 

Poster by our own @Alex_Stef <3

Date: 2015-06-30 16:00:00 - 2015-06-30 18:00:00, Europe/Bucharest Time.

Bob Palmer

Hi guys, just to let you know Bucharest’s lead advisor/ consultant for the European Capital 2021 bid will be with us tomorrow explaining how Bucharest can differentiate itself and what kind of collaboration it needs to become a city of the future.

Don’t miss out on the chance to talk to him and ask more about the bid, about Bucharest as the new Berlin and even about Futurespotters. He’s a big fan :slight_smile:

Quick thoughts after last night

Last night some of us in futurespotters got to hang out and mingle with other networks in the city. It turns out almost everyone is wearing a number of different hats which allow us to navigate worlds and build systems of support. One question lingered: If we’re each doing the heavylifting in our network (out of my breakout group a majority were heavy contributors to a network!), what happens when we leave? Can a network live without the kernel of committed people who started it?

We also met in person Bob Palmer, Bucharest 2021 advisor who really caught everyone’s attention in the room by saying: “You can transform a city by using culture. I love working with messy cities. Bucharest is a messy city. And this is fascinating for me! Bucharest 2021 is a project that will enable other projects to act on the basis of active participatory democracy. I hope This Bucharest2021 project will transform this city in a city of joy.”

What did you take out of the meetup?

No offense indended but here is potential… :slight_smile:

Check this to see what I mean:

Not to mention his very, very cool style of presentation (consider the implications for distributed collaboration & inclusiveness)!

1 Like

Got the gist of it…

I hope making changes to the city’s coat of arms is not a proposal for European Capital for Culture 2021 that you want to make. No pun intended either… although to be fair stuff is going through my head right now. LOL.

Pinging @TCT who is crazy about these things.

And sorry for not replying earlier, have been working offline these last few weeks.

Nah… not seriously. But I think I remember you had a niftier looking flag (just talking bout the flag here) some time ago… :wink:

What was actually stirring in the back of my head was this idea of a flag as a rallying point. And a second thing was simmering ever since I saw this submission (as new European flag):

I thought it was a very good idea to remake a flag using a different design “level” while keeping parts of the original elements intact. Also breaking out of the regular mold in a way where the new design element carries the appropriate message in itself (you give something up, you retain something essential, you become part of something greater) would be a feat.

Thus it also has a little bit to do with CapoCul urban re-appropriation plans you have. I’d think it’d be cool to be able to “mark your turf” in a stylish way. The ER/project logos would of course be the defaults. If one could deconstruct them and perhaps “streetartify” them in a way like described above there may be something in it…

In Romania, cities don’t have flags. Bucharest might be an exception, being the capital. Its “flag” is the national flag of Romania plus the city’s coat of arms.

The coat of arms features an eagle similar to the Romanian/Wallachian/Roman one. The saint was supposed to be the city’s patron saint Dimitrie Basarabov (from Bulgaria, whose corpse is in Dealul Mitropoliei), but instead it’s the Roman/Greek military saint Demetrius. This is stupid, but I would drop the saint and crosses altogether (I’m an atheist), and choose a better historical icon of the city (I don’t have a suggestion just yet). The motto down below is probably the non-religious Romanian adaptation and translation of UK’s coat of arms motto “Dieu et mon droit”, “Patrie et mon droit”. /me likes it. :slight_smile:

Transition: pairs/shotguns + documentation

I think it is a common if not fundamental problem we have to address when we talk about change of individuals, particularly in networks. Because there is usually less structure to connect to, everything is even more focused on (almost inevitably) one face.

If that face changes then all hell can break lose on both sides.

I am not sure how much my experience from a different background can apply effectively but here’s what you may want to consider:

Do whatever you do in pairs. Remember that any coordination you have to do between each other serves as an effective blueprint for what is necessary to run the show if one person needs temporary/permanent boost/replacement. Try to find something that is not perfect but good enough and does not get in the way (e.g. just highlight the most important 10-20 emails). If that is too expensive or cumbersome consider finding a designated “shotgun rider” or from an area of the network that is of strategic importance. Perhaps even two heavy contributors can share a “shotgun” who will try to stay up to date and help coordinate things as liaison person as well. This person need not be present all the time, but should always be invited to join important discussions to see what is necessary, and also where there are margins of error. In hierarchical environments such a “crownprince” or “suitcase bearer” is very common. Of course it aggravates typical hierarchy problems with problems of self-selection. If you want to safeguard against that you could have the “shotgun” be on the lookout for potential replacements by default and stay in the position he/she is in - only switching to giving some advice in the critical parts of business and letting the new person flesh out the rest. Meetings would still have an already known and trusted face next the the new person which will help a lot with trust and filling in the blanks.

1 Like

Pairing up is on my immediate list

… ever since I’ve heard (and experienced) that two people can hold each other accountable and have each other’s back. And not only from a practical, ticking to-do boxes, but especially for a reminder that you’re building something for a larger community, not just yourself. So efficiency, responsibilisation and inspiration (my perspective always changes at least a little bit after consulting with a colleague).

1 Like