Green Deal Call: selected topics for Edgeryders

Speaking of extending capacity, who can help do this today, take 15 mins!

Live link is: Funding & tenders

@andreja you have that list - could you send out an e-mail? We can prepare it together. The idea is to offer collaboration in case people are looking at this call and suggest a meeting.

no, we have only the list without the contact details, including the emails, because the registration process went through the Commission.

oh nooo. no way in getting them?

Maybe just ask them to forward the invitation email Alberto wrote to the people who signed up to our event? An email with link to our summary with albertos text below.

noo:( I can contact only those whose contacts I have from before.

This is now done for all of the calls except the cities one (as we’ll probably go with Climate KIC) and the one @amelia is working on - if we realize we are missing a partner we can publish a more precise info on what we are looking for.

I’m really lost here, as I find it deeply disturbing that the calls listed above made it into the European Green New Deal. They are all talk and very little action … exactly how nation states failed to address the climate crisis for the last 30 years. We’re screwed if this is any indicator for the rest of the Green New Deal projects :cry:

What I desire to see, and contribute to, are large-scale projects that actually do something about greenhouse gases: prevent them from being released, or remove them from the air. Like … just one example: carbon sequestration via deadwood burial has a potential to remove 10 GtC (Gigatons of carbon) per year, when applied globally (according to a 2008 study). That alone is roughly 60% of the current worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

So if you (esp. @marina who has the overview …) see any call that’s hands-on about greenhouse gas emissions or ecosystem restoration and where we have a chance to get into a consortium, please let me know. I’d want to make that happen. For everything else, I don’t see a role for me.

2 Likes

Have a look at these Matt:

Area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy
Topic 1: Closing the industrial carbon cycle to combat climate change

Area 4: Energy and resource efficient buildings
Building and renovating in an energy and resource efficient way

Area 7: Biodiversity and ecosystems
Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services

What do you think?

2 Likes

Event if anyone is interested:

Join us for a conversation with this panel of activists and thinkers Julian Brave NoiseCat, Summer Sandoval, Ashley Dawson, Trevor Ngwane, and David Hughes whose work is helping to move the fight for energy democracy forward.

Wildfires, hurricanes, famines, and the pandemic – we live on a planet already in deep ecological crisis, with worse to come if today’s climate inaction, soaring inequality, and state violence continue. To shift things and win a just transition, we need ambitious planning and abundant struggle.

Proposals from around the world for a Green New Deal have highlighted the need to win popular control of the infrastructures of energy production and distribution. Fossil capitalism must be shut down since further production of coal, oil, and gas will doom the planet to climate chaos. Meanwhile, construction of renewable energy must be massively accelerated.

What are the obstacles to an energy transition that lifts up frontline communities, workers, Indigenous peoples, people in postcolonial nations, and others? How can we ensure that the transition is genuinely democratic and participatory? What combination of centralized and decentralized initiatives is appropriate given the need for an accelerated transition and the concern that the authoritarian structures of fossil capitalism not be reproduced in a new form of green capitalism/colonialism?

Free and open to the public, but please Register to access the Zoom link and attend: Energy Democracy and the Green New Deal Tickets, Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM | Eventbrite

This event is co-sponsored by The Natural History Museum, Rutgers Climate Institute, CUNY Climate Action Lab, and the Center for the Humanities at Graduate Center, CUNY.

Visit our website for more information about this event here: Energy Democracy and the Green New Deal - The Center for the Humanities

*Image: “Growing Strong Together” by Sarah Bloom, courtesy of Creative Action Network

3 Likes

@matthias:

“ * Citizen awareness raising activities linked to green neighbourhood “living labs” (led by “green schools” where relevant), to facilitate social innovation, promote education and training for sustainability, conducive to competences and positive behaviour/good habits for a resource efficient and environmentally respectful energy use.”

Does this or sound like the reef? It’s the building one.

@hugi: maybe something worth looking into for frihamnen/blivamde and sci-fi econ Lab?

1 Like

This is the call: Funding & tenders

I signed up, though there are some calendar constraints. Do you recommend it?

Just to let you all know, I am continuously updating this wiki post by adding information as it comes, under each specific call you will find “updates”.

Now to facilitate the overview, summarizing here where we currently are. We joined or it is highly likely that we are joining the consortia for the following calls:

• AREA 1, Topic 2, led by C-KIC. (joined. negotiations ongoing for the exact role)
  • AREA 1, Topic 3, led by Trinity College Dublin. (pending. expression of interest sent)
  • AREA 6, led by tbc; initiated by Sabanci University, Turkey. (joined)
  • AREA 10, Topic 2, led by IEECP. (joined)
  • AREA 10, Topic 3, led by the foundation from Emilia Romagna region (pending. more info soon).

Communications and meetings still ongoing for a couple of other calls. Expecting to finalize this by the end of the next week.

FYI @alberto @nadia @amelia @hugi and everyone else putting efforts in this…

2 Likes

Adding to the last update:

• AREA 3, led by Politecnico di Milano. (joined).
1 Like

Overview on this day:

• AREA 1, Topic 2, led by C-KIC. (dropped due to budget reasons.)
  • AREA 1, Topic 3, led by Trinity College Dublin. (joined. consortium call tomorrow.)
  • AREA 3, led by Politecnico di Milano. (joined. not much info at the moment, pending instructions.)
  • AREA 6, led by Sabanci University, Turkey. (dropped due to budget reasons.)
  • AREA 7, led by Cranfield Water Science Institute. (joined although some doubts just arised today, so pending decision.)
  • AREA 10, Topic 1, led by tbc. Invited by DemSoc. (considering. pending more info).
  • AREA 10, Topic 2, led by IEECP. (joined. work is ongoing.)
  • AREA 10, Topic 3, led by the foundation from Emilia Romagna region (dropped due to insufficiently advanced idea.)

So those four in bold are the active ones.

1 Like

I think Cranfield also dropped…

Thank you, Marina! :yellow_heart: Glad to see the EU has some actionable things in the Green Deal package. Sadly, in the end I just can’t find the time and energy to get us into a consortium and write an application for one of these. So for the time being, I’ll stick to support @nadia’s efforts of business development around our distributed collaboration skills; which is green, actionable and somehow close to my heart.

1 Like

Overview on this day and most probably the final decision on consortia we joined:

Hello @marina, @alberto - I use this thread to drop this link about EU-research; Nature editorial " Accounting for sex and gender makes for better science -The European Commission is set to insist on steps that will make research design more inclusive.". - best regards, joyful season’s break - Martin

p.s.

2 Likes