GTF Berlin 09 - Eduardo Luca Giacomo [EN]

So my name is Jos and I’m working on a research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with the pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind later and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information after this interview, so please tell me your first name and if you agree with the interview.

Eduardo. I agree to the interview.

Luca I agree.

Giacomo. I agree.

Thank you very much. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Okay, so our economy is a concept of economy in which materials are reused after they are done after their end of life. So that’s basically what I would define as economy.

Luca.

Yeah, it’s an economy where the life cycle of the products are is closed and everything is recycled. And it has a it’s, it doesn’t end. It doesn’t end at the when the product is not used anymore, but it’s something that goes over that.

Yeah. I think we two gave a right definition. So I would say mostly the same. So yes, when the materials for the product are utilized after the end of life of the product itself. And so you have this closed economy where everything is recycled and reused.

Uh, do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

I think so. When? Yeah, when we do like, uh, um, yeah, when we throw it. Yeah, when we recycle. Uh, also by just doing, like, throwing away things in the right way. So plastic and plastic and etcetera. And I hope that in the future, as an engineer, I will contribute to this, to this. Yeah. Sustainable, uh, sustainable future. And so also with a circular economy, when I project like, uh, doing projects and developing products, maybe. Yes, I hope so.

You, do you participate?

I participate a minimum in my little and. Just recycling and yeah, for example, here in Germany they bottles you can give back the bottles and I find that pretty cool. We don’t have that in Italy. And then hopefully when I go, I’m going to work in a company, I hope that the company will adopt a circular economy and I hope I will contribute with that.

Yeah, same as they said. Also like buying second hand stuff or solidary. And it also participated in a project in my university in which we we built a moth boat, moth class boat made entirely of recycled materials or trying to find most sustainable materials, so to say.

How did you become interested in the circular economy, ideas and practice practices?

Well, it’s not really something that happens from one moment from another. It’s just a concept that you, you know, you need to know that it’s coming. And so you need to be ready to adapt it. And so it’s better to start before so as early as possible to to then be ready when it’s.

You.

Have got some influence from the Internet, but also from my university. We have some lectures where they talk about a circular economy and I was interested in it.

And you?

Yeah. I mean, I think that general awareness about circular economy is driven by several factors. For example. Well, yeah, I mean, in university it’s one of me of a main aspect that we are talking about every day. And so and I think also that all the this like, I mean, we are here at a greentech festival. So it’s obviously that the sustainability aspect it’s deals with circular economy and so I think I knew knew about it since a lot of time now and yeah it’s I think it’s an important aspect of our life and it will be in the future.