GTF Berlin 10 - Elli [EN]

Okay, so I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I am going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this, that, and you change your mind later and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information. So if you agree, then please tell me your first name and that you agree.

My name is Elli. And about my dream. You mean. And you agree and agree? Oh, I agree. I agree that for this conversation and answering the question. It’s okay. Okay.

Thank you. Yeah. First question. Can you define a circular economy with your own words?

Yeah. I think circular economy is a kind of as I as I studied in this semester, my first semester of master’s degree, it’s nine. Ah, and it’s about redesign remanufacture and circle that raw materials are are going to be reused recycled and re maybe not not in a linear way. It’s a circular I think shape.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Yeah. For example, about separating our waste in our WG (Flat Share/Commune) in our share room. Shared student room. We are just doing some details about circular economy and these are some examples about separating the waste and about our leaflets, about our books or if we are going to use them again. This is the concept of reuse in circular economy, I think.

How did you become interested in the circular economy, ideas and practices?

Because my major is international business focus on sustainability management. So I become interested to know about different kind of economies, for example, sustainable economy, services, economy and especially circular economy, because it helps to implement the concept of sustainability. Okay.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

I think it has a lot of implementation implications in all industries because it from services sector to manufacturing sectors, it’s about the economy. It’s a macro concept, so it can help.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car or automotive industry?

Yeah, maybe. I don’t have any exact information about the process of manufacturing, autos and the circular economy, but I know that according to SDG, ESG and a lot of frameworks, a lot of brands are loyal to have some sustainable concepts during manufacturing. For example, after after discovering some defective parts in manufacturing, the autos or cars, they can reuse it in other parts, they can maybe redesign it for a new product or something like this.

Do you currently own a car or did you own a car?

No, actually, I’m a new comer to Germany. I don’t have a car now.

Are you sharing a car or something like that?

Now I use public transportation and I use just some scooters and bicycle. Yeah.

But, you know, maybe. What are the car electronics or electronics in the car? What do you think about what is the first thought when you hear electronics in the car?

I think electronic car it’s it helps to net zero and CO2 emissions goals according to my information but it has some limitations. So I’m not going to use it for a permanent purpose. But it’s good. And in circular economy and for SDG purposes, it has a lot of profits, I think.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than regular normal cars?

I think it depends on the parts that are manufactured by different industries, maybe about the materials used in those parts, in those components. It depends because when you when you are reusing or recycling some parts, the materials, the old materials are so important. So it depends on the materials, I think, okay.