GTF Berlin 19 - Kathalina [EN]

So I’m Jos. I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind later and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information. If you agree, then tell you please your first name and that you agree.

I agree. Catalina. Catalina.

Okay, Catalina, first question. Can you define a circular economy in your own words?

It’s. Extending the life cycle of a product or a service.

Uh, do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Um, yeah, I’m using like urban mobility, for example, car sharing or scooters as well as secondhand, um, like clothes if that’s counts into it. And yeah, like furniture whatsoever by secondhand.

How did you become interested in circular economy practices and ideas?

I’m very much into environment and topics, so for me it’s very important that we use as little resources as possible and there’s just too much stuff on the world like in the world and at home. So I’m feel overwhelmed by the amount of things that that we have.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Oh yeah, totally. But it needs definitely some regulations and some just top bottom systems so that everyone is aware and there is like, yeah, system in place where something goes next, basically.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry, in the automotive sector?

Yes, but I think too little people still want to buy and want to own cars, especially in Germany, because I think it’s related to. Yeah, like luxury item. So and also just yeah, like if you have a family with kids, then it’s necessary to have a car. However, they then save money and buy a new car instead of maybe, yeah. Using other alternatives. Or they buy a used car. Right. But sometimes they don’t trust or whatsoever.

Do you own currently a car or did you own a car?

No, I don’t. And I don’t plan to add it in the next future.

And are you sharing a car? If you need a car?

Yes, I’m using a car sharing for moving. For example, if I go to Ikea or something, or like a longer trip, then then yes. But yeah.

What is the first thought you think about when you hear car electronics?

Car electronics. The electronics inside a car. That’s what I think. Yeah.

What do you think about that? What is the first thought?

A lot of cables. A lot of cables, A lot of complicated mechanism. Yeah.